“Terrible Service, Strongly Advised to stay elsewhere”
Review of Inn at Okoboji

Inn at Okoboji
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Okoboji
Minnesota
“Terrible Service, Strongly Advised to stay elsewhere”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I've been going to Okoboji for 27+ years and have never had a negative thing to say about Okoboji...it's our home away from home. I felt that way about The Inn for eight years, well, until this year. My husband and I spent 2 years planning our wedding with the most incredible staff at The Inn. Our wedding weekend went on without a hitch accommodating all 350+ guests, thanks to The Inn. My husband and I were so in love with our experience working with The Inn that we continued to go back each year on our anniversary. In fact, in 2008 we were featured in The Inn's annual catalog. Each year we went back we were greeted by all the staff who went out of their way to make our stay even better than the previous year. For seven years I recommended anyone and everyone to not only visit Okoboji but to stay at The Inn. Unfortunately with the rest of the world, The Inn took a huge hit in the economy. They also took a huge hit in their customer service. Being that our family cabin is down the street we visit the restaurant and pub several times a summer. We have heard cackle amongst the neighbors complaining about their customer service but being biased towards The Inn we never thought twice about it. Our first encounter happened in early June when I went to the pub to order a drink and the bar manager put his hand out and told me to ''hold on'' so he could proceed to yell at his waitstaff infront of customers. The second occurrence happened mid July when the security guard grabbed me with no warning...this was so out of line and unacceptable that the bartender followed us out to apologize. I left a message that weekend with the General Manager, Bar Manager, and Banquet Manager. My message was to simply explain the situation so authority could have a conversation with the security guard about proper etiquette on the job. All I was expecting was to have a brief conversation with management so the security guard on duty could improve his performance. I'm still waiting to hear back from anyone. The third encounter happened last weekend when I tried to talk with the Bar Manager about the security guard situation, again all I was looking for was reassurance that the situation was dealt with. The Bar Manager proceeded to tell me that, ''he doesn't care what I have to say and he wasn't going to listen to me''. He became so escalated that the front desk manager had to ask him to stop yelling at me infront of guests. This time it was the front desk manager who wrote up a complaint and placed it on the GM's desk. I'm still waiting for that phone call as well. I have never left a bad comment regarding anywhere I have ever stayed at, eaten at, etc. but I feel so strongly in the customer service, or lack of, that I had to reach out to anyone considering staying here. If there was a rewards program for The Inn, we would be at the Platinum level which is why I'm so disturbed by my experience there this year. In talking with other staff, it seems as though they are disgusted by how things are being operated as well. It is very obvious that the GM does not care about maintaining the history and reputation of The Inn....a place where so many have claimed their family vacation spot for decades. I strongly advise Okoboji visitors to stay elsewhere. And for Okoboji residents, don't waste your time or money at the restaurant and bar. Chances are you will be greeted by a rude and incompetent manager who treats his staff and customers about as terrible as it gets. My hope is that The Inn can turn it aroud before it's too late as I will be the first person to continue my loyalty to this resort. Until then I welcome anyone in management at The Inn to contact me....but I won't hold my breath.

• Stayed July 2013
10 Thank millertimeMinnesota
TheinnGM1, Manager at Inn at Okoboji, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
When you left me a voice mail your number was not audible so when I tried to return the call I did not have the correct number. I also want to tell you I did not receive any type of written complaint as you noted from the front desk clerk. I am sorry we fell short of your expectations and you encountered the issues you did. I have used your comments to further train our staff regarding customer service matters. We strive to be a family tradition in Okoboji and hope you will come to see us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Griswold, Iowa
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Our son and his wife's wedding rehearsal dinner and wedding reception was held at The Inn. A lot of our family and friends stayed there also for the weekend. All the staff was so helpful and friendly. Anything we asked for they got right away for us. The rooms were clean with new beds. We spent most of our time outdoors enjoying the grounds, lake, pool, etc. The wedding reception was wonderful from the food, staff, accommodations to just everything. It couldn't of been any nicer. So many guests commented how nice everything was. Lori and Laura Ashley was so good to work with to make sure everything was like we wanted it for the rehearsal dinner. We so enjoyed the whole weekend!!

1 Thank D F
TheinnGM1, General Manager at Inn at Okoboji, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for your nice and encouraging feedback about The Inn at Okoboji! We really appreciate your comments and we hope to see you again soon!
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is our second time visiting The Inn, July 21-24. Overall, our experience was very good. It is an older property and for us that is part of the allure. The decor is dated and the buildings do show their age, but staying lakeside for several days was fantastic.

We selected the lakeside rooms with sliders which are literally 25 feet from the lake. Most rooms though are just a short walk away. Lakeside rooms are small, but worked well for a family of four. The views are great and the walking trail is right outside your door. The trail, which appears to start at The Inn, continues east and makes for a relaxing stroll past the giant oak trees and private properties that line the lake. If you're into walking or jogging.

Although we did some lake swimming, the kids preferred the pool. The pool area was average and featured two shaded cabanas which were free to use. The Inn also has an indoor pool for rainy days and colder weather.

Inside the main building was a coffee shop, very small gift shop, bar and restaurant. Upstairs is a performance hall that features music from time-to-time. Marilyn May was performing while we were there. We didn't attend.

Daily room cleaning was performed by high-school age help who looked efficient. Young help staffed the restaurant too, but not very well. On the morning we tried to have breakfast, we sat 15 minutes without even a 'hello'. The table behind us couldn't get their coffee refilled after several requests. It looked hopeless and we left. However, our $40 free breakfast coupon was credited at check-out.

Regardless, I would recommend this resort for a fun family getaway. We've already got our dates picked for next summer.

2 Thank White54
Thank you for your comments and feedback from your vacation at The Inn at Okoboji! We appreciate all feedback and will use this to further identify ways we can improve our guests satisfaction and experience when staying with us.
Sioux City, Iowa
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My family and I have been staying at the Inn for a number of years. Since staying here, I have not noticed a single update done. This year, the carpet on the outdoor stairs to the poolside rooms literally was hanging off of them until a guest worried about his kids tripping took it upon himself to cut the hanging, old carpet. The "Family package" received this year was significantly smaller, and the service was well below average. It's too bad that a place we have been staying all these years is not a place where we will be staying again.

2 Thank liz k
Liz, I appreciate your willingness to share about your stay at The Inn. We are an older property and sometimes this shows in small ways. We are committed to continue our investment in making property improvements. This year we did install all new beds in all our rooms this year along with linens, bed coverings, new WIFI systems, restaurant computer systems, and some unseen infrastructure projects. We will continue to examine how we can make the right investments in the future to assure our guests have a great stay with us. We would really appreciate an opportunity to serve you again if you would consider. Thank you again for your feedback as this is important for us to improve our operations.

Travelers are raving about these Okoboji hotels

Okoboji, Iowa
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My daughter's wedding reception was at The Inn and it was absolutely wonderful. Most of our out of town guests stayed here and thoroughly enjoyed the accommodations. The staff was always available for answering questions and offering a helping hand. The facilities for the reception were amazing. The food that Chef Tom prepared for our guests was amazing...I believe every guest commented on how good it was!

1 Thank P G
TheinnGM1, General Manager at Inn at Okoboji, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
On behalf of all our staff I want to thank you for your kind feedback about your wedding event. This is the type of quality and service we train and strive for. We appreciate your business and look forward to having you back another time!
Des Moines
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Great time at the Inn. 1st time to Okoboji and the family had a great time.The Inn is right on the lake and has a great setting. We enjoyed the cookout and watched fireworks over the lake.

The kids enjoyed the outdoor pool as well as the indoor pool and eating on the patio.

Please understand this hotel caters to people on the lake - which I love. what I am trying to say is dont expect a Marriot setting. The room I stayed in was clean and comfortable. but I didnt spend much time in it. I was at the pool or the lake.

A couple of suggestions - pillow in room need to be replaced, no towels at outdoor pool. if you are at lake or outdoor pool - the only restrooms are in the main lobby of hotel.

Inn at Okoboji was family friendly - younger crowds showed up on wknds but not in a rowdy or bad way.

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: stayed in 824 - appears this building is newer than the cottage like rooms
1 Thank bthomps01
TheinnGM1, General Manager at Inn at Okoboji, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for staying at The Inn and your nice comments in your review. Your feedback is a great tool that will help us understand how we can better serve you in the future. I am happy to inform you that at the end of June this year we have installed all NEW beds in ALL our rooms! In addition, by the end of July ALL NEW PILLOWS as well! We are happy for your business and feedback! We hope to see you again soon! Please visit www.bojifun.com for your next reservation.
Lincoln, Nebraska, United States
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The Inn at Okoboji is a 'campy' 1950s type place. Beautiful view of the lake, restful, nice swimming pool, clean rooms and wonderful staff. We were there over the 4th of July and they put on a very nice BBQ and great view of the fireworks display across the lake.

Room Tip: The new owners recently replaced all the mattresses!
1 Thank Cathy H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Okoboji
Okoboji Commons Hotel
#1 of 5 in Spirit Lake
Vintage Block Inn & Suites
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Okoboji
Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center

Been to Inn at Okoboji? Share your experiences!