“Family Reunion”
Review of Inn at Okoboji

Inn at Okoboji
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Okoboji
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My family and I have been staying at the Inn for a number of years. Since staying here, I have not noticed a single update done. This year, the carpet on the outdoor stairs to the poolside rooms literally was hanging off of them until a guest worried about his kids tripping took it upon himself to cut the hanging, old carpet. The "Family package" received this year was significantly smaller, and the service was well below average. It's too bad that a place we have been staying all these years is not a place where we will be staying again.

2  Thank liz k
TheinnGM1, General Manager at Inn at Okoboji, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Liz, I appreciate your willingness to share about your stay at The Inn. We are an older property and sometimes this shows in small ways. We are committed to continue our investment in making property improvements. This year we did install all new beds in all our rooms this year along with linens, bed coverings, new WIFI systems, restaurant computer systems, and some unseen infrastructure projects. We will continue to examine how we can make the right investments in the future to assure our guests have a great stay with us. We would really appreciate an opportunity to serve you again if you would consider. Thank you again for your feedback as this is important for us to improve our operations.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

My daughter's wedding reception was at The Inn and it was absolutely wonderful. Most of our out of town guests stayed here and thoroughly enjoyed the accommodations. The staff was always available for answering questions and offering a helping hand. The facilities for the reception were amazing. The food that Chef Tom prepared for our guests was amazing...I believe every guest commented on how good it was!

1  Thank P G
TheinnGM1, General Manager at Inn at Okoboji, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

On behalf of all our staff I want to thank you for your kind feedback about your wedding event. This is the type of quality and service we train and strive for. We appreciate your business and look forward to having you back another time!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Great time at the Inn. 1st time to Okoboji and the family had a great time.The Inn is right on the lake and has a great setting. We enjoyed the cookout and watched fireworks over the lake.

The kids enjoyed the outdoor pool as well as the indoor pool and eating on the patio.

Please understand this hotel caters to people on the lake - which I love. what I am trying to say is dont expect a Marriot setting. The room I stayed in was clean and comfortable. but I didnt spend much time in it. I was at the pool or the lake.

A couple of suggestions - pillow in room need to be replaced, no towels at outdoor pool. if you are at lake or outdoor pool - the only restrooms are in the main lobby of hotel.

Inn at Okoboji was family friendly - younger crowds showed up on wknds but not in a rowdy or bad way.

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: stayed in 824 - appears this building is newer than the cottage like rooms
1  Thank bthomps01
TheinnGM1, General Manager at Inn at Okoboji, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thank you for staying at The Inn and your nice comments in your review. Your feedback is a great tool that will help us understand how we can better serve you in the future. I am happy to inform you that at the end of June this year we have installed all NEW beds in ALL our rooms! In addition, by the end of July ALL NEW PILLOWS as well! We are happy for your business and feedback! We hope to see you again soon! Please visit www.bojifun.com for your next reservation.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

The Inn at Okoboji is a 'campy' 1950s type place. Beautiful view of the lake, restful, nice swimming pool, clean rooms and wonderful staff. We were there over the 4th of July and they put on a very nice BBQ and great view of the fireworks display across the lake.

Room Tip: The new owners recently replaced all the mattresses!
1  Thank Cathy H
Reviewed July 6, 2013

The resort does feel like it could be something great (or maybe was great) but not currently. Service was pretty much non-existent. Upon check in, seemed like there were two high school kids on duty who hadn’t been trained and didn’t really care about doing it correctly. The gift shop/coffee shop were not open. Apparently they didn't open until June. We had breakfast in the café one morning. It was a pretty dismal buffet. It definitely looked like amateur hour. There’s not nearly enough competition in Okoboji to make anyone try harder, so it’s disappointing. However...this was all fine - until we had bigger issues.

Security was a huge concern - our room was one of the units that faces the lake. It had its own entrance from outside and shared a wall with another unit. Upon examination of the door lock, you could tell that it was not secure. It looked like the door had been kicked in many times so the place where the door locks/latches was really weak. So really, anyone could get into our room pretty easily if the dead bolt wasn't on (which was every time we left the unit to leave since we couldn't set the deadbolt and then leave). <We showed this to the maintenance guy who came to look at the room as we were leaving and he’s like, “Yeah. Huh. That’s not good.”>

And the window that was in the bedroom didn't lock. That window was about 4 feet from the parking lot, so would be very easy to park your car then break into the bedroom. I didn't realize it didn't lock until it was too late on our second night. We had our 7-month old baby in the room with us (6 inches from the window) and I was terrified something would happen. I could hardly sleep.

We hardly slept at all the night that the MIRROR FELL on my BABY’S CRIB. My husband and I were sleeping in the tiny bed in the tiny bedroom with our 7-mo old baby in her travel crib in the only available space left in the room (fit snugly but perfectly). However, at 3am there was a loud crash and the baby started screaming. It was a terrifying moment. The mirror that was “hanging” on the wall in the bedroom had fallen off, onto my baby’s crib. Thankfully, it had basically landed on top of the crib, essentially covering the opening (because the travel crib opening is smaller than its base). The glass that broke off was all outside the crib. We were all startled and scared. It took a while to get the baby back to sleep and then we couldn’t sleep – thinking of what would have happened to her if the glass had fallen on her, broken differently, etc… We called the front desk to tell them right after it happened and then called again the next morning to have their maintenance crew clean up the glass. (See pictures) They apologized, but nothing else was done. We talked to the maintenance crew about what had happened. The mirrors in the units are held up by crappy plastic hooks. It looks like the bedroom mirror was only hanging on by 1-2 hooks (instead of all 4) because that's how many broken pieces there ended up being. So previously hooks had broken and the mirror had been left...to finally FALL at 3am on my BABY'S CRIB.

With everything combined, we left early - the evening before our third night - because it was so stressful. The front desk and management knew all of this and they did nothing except refunded us for the third night (which we didn't stay...so was like a late check out or let us cancel and leave). The third night was going to be half-priced anyway because we stayed two nights. So...appreciated, but not a huge loss on their part. The fact that there was no effort to make us feel better about this whole situation was really disappointing. Most of the time it's really easy just to give a little better service in order to keep customers and improve your business.

I’m from Spirit Lake and I love the area, but I will tell everyone about what happened at the Inn and I will never stay there again. I hope they have checked other mirrors, doors, windows, etc. and make sure their guests are safe. I work in hospitality management and their business would significantly improve if they try a little harder and give better service.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Emily B
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My family rented several rooms here for a family reunion. The rooms were nice and comfortable. Clean, and housekeeping was good. We were also pleased with the food in the restaurant, and it was a good price for the meals. The pool was great, as was the Crows Nest. Here is where we felt there could be some improvement:
*there was inconsistency in the kitchens (suites). Some had large coffee pots, others did not. There are also no dish rags or towels to use, even though the website indicates that we are responsible for washing our own dishes.
*housekeeping was timely, but didn't always stock what was needed. However, upon request they were very accommodating.
*the biggest complaint was the awful wifi. At times it did not even let you on, and when it did, it was very slow. And if you have tmobile, forget use of your 4g Internet on your phone.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Crystal C
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Please note: I did not stay at this hotel, but I'm posting on behalf of my parents, who stayed in May 2013 and do not care to create a tripadvisor account to post one review. They do, however, feel strongly enough about their experience to get the review published.

We stayed 2 nights at The Inn at Okoboji for a wedding. It was a cold windy day and you could not stand to be in front of the window on the side of the room that the wind was coming from because the window was that leaky and one of the beds was right under it. The first night we stayed the noise was unbelievable. We could hear people talking outside our room till 2:30 AM because the sound insulating quality of the room was very poor. Neither the bedroom or the bathroom doors would close completely because the door rubbed on the jamb. There was a heater in the bathroom but was unusable because there was no knob on the control. The bathroom was quite small and the toilet so close to the wall with the paper dispenser on it that it was very difficult to get the job done and I’m not a big person. One of the lights over the sink was burnt out and the shade over the window above the shower was dirty. The TV didn’t work and our son in a nearby room had no hot water. To managements credit they did repair the things that we pointed out but never offered any refund or anything for our very bad experience. It was an ok $50 room that we paid $110 for. We would definitely look elsewhere for a room if we stay in the lakes area again.

Room Tip: Maybe try the newer part (more expensive rooms). We had relatives stay here, and those rooms were fo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank saratriptaker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Okoboji
Okoboji Commons Hotel
Northland Inn Motel
#3 of 5 in Spirit Lake
Vintage Block Inn & Suites
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Okoboji

Been to Inn at Okoboji? Share your experiences!