“Lakeside Charm”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Okoboji
Omaha
“Lakeside Charm”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

The Inn reminds me of "Kellerman's Resort" in the movie "Dirty Dancing". There must be something wrong with the eyes of all of the folks that posted unfavorable reviews of The Inn, or they have no appreciation for the history, charm and beauty of this magnificent property.

I am a bride who was married on the grounds of The Inn. Our vision was simple - we wanted to be by the water, we wanted a flexible venue that had space for our ceremony and after-party and which allowed for us to do our own food and drink. We got everything and then some! Now if you want a more formal event, The Inn has that capability as well, but our casual experience at The Crow's Nest (adjacent to the golf course) was exactly perfect for us. Our guests were encouraged to wear jeans and sweatshirts (we were married on May 12, 2012 and the lake air is rather cool that early in the season), we served beer and pizza, and after the ceremony the kids went off to swim in the indoor pool and played on the playset while the adults stood around and drank and had a bonfire. The Inn also had another (formal) wedding going on the same day. The property is spacious enough that both weddings were accommodated without incident. In fact, guests from the other wedding were curious about our bonfire and came and partied with us - that's how we roll in Boji!

The rooms are clean and functional. The lakeside rooms have a phenomenal view! It is worth the extra dollars to wake up to a view of West Lake. We were blessed with amazing weather on our special weekend and I woke up early Sunday morning and saw West Lake as flat as glass. We spend a dozen weekends in Okoboji during the summer, and I've never seen West Lake so flat before. God was smiling on us.

I highly recommend The Inn for a wedding and reception as well as a weekend getaway or family vacation!

Room Tip: Get a lake view room!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Jennifer R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Ida Grove, Iowa
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We chose to stay at The Inn because my nephew was getting married here. As I opened the door to our room my first impression was of a small outdated dumpy room with a window air conditioner. Upon closer inspection it was a freshly painted room with a retro look & feel. The rooms (and my immediate family booked three) were all CLEAN and met the needs of everyone. It was close to the festivities, we didn't have to drive anywhere. The Inn has a coffee shop, bar, restaurant, indoor & outdoor pool. I did not eat in the restaurant however the food that was being served smelled delish & made me wish we hadn't eaten at the rehearsal supper! The meal they catered for the wedding was delicious. The staff were pleasant and more than accommodating. All of our needs were met and carried out with a smile. They made you feel special and actually made you feel like their only job was to make our stay as pleasant as possible.

This is a vacation resort hotel/motel that caters to individuals that are there to spend time on a beach near the water, swimming, boating and water skiing. The retro look just makes it more interesting.

We would definately stay there again.

1 Thank rejami
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The hotel itself is a bit dated but overall clean and in a good location. However, the staff/manager is quite incompitent. We stayed in July 2012 for 2 nights and it's almost October and we are still seeing charges! Let me go back, we had 2 rooms for 2 nights. They had a power outage at chek in so we checked in later in the day, fine no problem. Then the next morning, issues on charges being messed up. Then that evening knocks on the door because they had the room listed as vacant-2 times manager was back. Next morning an hour dealing with the isssues, thinking it was finally resolved. Within the next month charges and credits most of which were incorrect-my husband paid my father directly because they could not figure out who to charge what. Then now, my father again gets hit with a $300+ charge. What is going on? Next step lawyers if we must.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Janet H

Travelers are raving about these Okoboji hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my husband and son for my cousin's wedding and I would never stay here again. This hotel needs a complete makeover. The rooms are very dated and look like something from the 1960's. First, Beds are super uncomfortable and very, very old. I couldn't sleep the two night we were there- one because they were so uncomfortable and two everything was so old it felt gross. Also, the blankets had someone's hair in them (disgusting) and even when I requested fresh blankets and sheets there was still evidence of past guests hair in the blankets, the sheets were okay. The room had an overall dated and dingy feel to it making it impossible to feel comfortable and relax.
In addition to the dated accommodations we had a major flood in our room when I showered. I guess there was some type of back up that occurred and water flooded out of the toilet when I showered. The hotel staff was very nice and promptly resolved the situation but still I was pretty grossed out and irritated since this caused a delay in preparing for my cousin's wedding and almost made us late.
The pool is nice and I spent most of the day there since it was the only place that was nice. We had dinner at the lounge and the food was good there and was reasonably priced. We also had breakfast which was good except the coffee was awful- very, very watered down.
So, I would not stay here unless you don't mind a gross, dated and uncomfortable room.

5 Thank Lija J
Omaha, NE
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My family and I really enjoyed our stay at The Inn. We were there for a wedding over the Labor Day weekend. While there was a snafu with the wedding brunch the following day, that didn't really reflect on the establishment as much as it did the planning. The Inn is centrally located to a bunch of attractions, it's right on the lake (no beach), and the setting was nice.

As stated by other posters, the rooms are completely outdated, the bathrooms are straight out of the '50s, but honestly, how much time are you spending in your room? They were clean and functional.

Basically what it boils down to is: if you want an Embassy Suites type of experience with a perfect room, "free" buffet in the morning, etc, don't stay here.
If, however, you just want place close to everything to park your bags, have a swim, grab a drink or two at night, and sit out on the lake and enjoy the view, this might be the place.

Room Tip: This hotel hosts a lot of weddings, if you ask for a pool room, be aware that the pool is where drun...
2 Thank speeddaimon
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We read really bad reviews after booking our stay here but were pleasantly surprised at what a nice time we had. Our waterfront room was nice, the AC worked good. The beds were very firm if not hard, the shower would run hot and cold, and the yes, the TV was older; but... the view was beautiful!! We rented a boat hoist just steps away from our room and spent the whole time on the water. There were a lot of families enjoying the pool or waterfront. There were 3 weddings taking place while we were there which was fun to see. There is a walking path that runs along the lake past our room which was nice to see couples and families out taking a stroll. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a microwave, small fridge, coffee pot and hair dryer in our room. We enjoyed just siting on the dock after dark and gazing at the stars or watching the lights across the lake at Arnold Park. It was only my husband and I in our room, if we had a few kids with us I can see how the room would feel cramped as it wasn't very big. But for us, it was an overall fun weekend. We will def go back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cedar Falls, Iowa
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My wife and I went here for our anniversary the third week of August 2012. The rooms are terrible as the other reviews have stated. Outdated, lumpy beds, poor air conditioning and a tv from the 70's. To top it off, we were out of our room for 34 minutes on a walk and the cleaning service (male and female) came in and made the bed in our room while we were out.
They got into my wife's purse and ripped off between $300 and $400 in cash out of her purse. They fortunately left her ID and credit cards alone. We reported it to the general manager. He acted like he could care less. I had to suggest that he call the police or I would. Of course the local police could care less and only wanted to fill out his report and be on his way. No interrogation of the cleaning personnel. No apology, just sorry we are part of a large corporation and will have to send it in to the insurance company. Just awesome customer service from this place NOT. So if you want to stay in a dump that charges 225.00 a night, doesn't care if your belongings are secure, and could care less, then I would highly recommend you stay here. Never again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank disgusted73
Also consider these accommodations in or near Okoboji
Okoboji Commons Hotel
#1 of 5 in Spirit Lake
Vintage Block Inn & Suites
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Okoboji
Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center

Been to Inn at Okoboji? Share your experiences!