“Motel Quality at Resort Prices - Avoid at All Costs”

Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Okoboji
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Motel Quality at Resort Prices - Avoid at All Costs”
Reviewed September 4, 2010

They bill themselves as a resort, but if you hadn't been told that, you'd believe you were at a motel. There's nothing "resort" about it. A number of us stayed there for a wedding at preferential rates that were still way too high for what the hotel delivers. I was already unhappy - at full price, I would have been livid.

Though the staff is very nice, this is an $85/night hotel at best. This is our experience over four nights:

- a barren (though serviceable) lobby
- hallways that smell like an old apartment building
- shabby furniture
- paint peeling off the bathroom doorframe
- plastic cups (not glasses) wrapped in plastic wrap
- pillows that *all* had round, hard balls in them, like hailstones the size of dimes
- old, thin, threadbare towels
- a broken iron
- no room service
- overpriced, mediocre food
- a dirty pool with things starting to grow in it
- no towels at the pool over two separate visits

The pillows were so bad that after two nights, I went to Wal-Mart and bought a new one - best $6 I've spent in a long time. The ironing board had a cover but no pad. You ironed on top of hard metal, which means you can't actually get the wrinkles out of anything. The only solution was to put a damp towel between the ironing board and cover.

The three rooms I saw were the same. I've traveled a lot, and usually stay in Westins or better. Based on their web site, I wasn't expecting high-end, but at $150/night (discounted, no less) I *did* expect good pillows, real glasses, an ironing board cover, and a pleasant atmosphere. This, instead, is a run-down property that is suffering from years of neglect. I would absolutely not stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank CarlafromDC
ArrowwoodManager, General Manager at Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 10, 2011
I appreciate your response and although I was not General Manager at the time, your input is greatly appreciated. Your response is a great training tool that all team members can utilize and improve on. We welcome you back in the near future and hope that you will come back soon.

Arrowwood General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
illinois
Reviewed September 4, 2008

We made our reservations back in Feb for an August stay. We specifically asked for a smoking room king bed. When we heard that Iowa had gone non-smoking in July we called and reconfirmed that we had a smoking room still. When we got there they said they only had five rooms and they were all gone and there had been no requests made for one. We repeated that we had asked and had even reconfirmed and then she noted that yes it was in the computer but they still didn't have one available. At that point another woman came over and said that there was no request. Another couple we were with who also made a similar request were told the same thing. First that they hadn't made the rquest, then that it was there and then again, that there was no request. The rooms had patio doors so you could step out but the funny thing was the smoke was drawn back through the open doors so I don't see what the point was.
The room was nice and clean and the ammenities were also nice. The area itself has plenty to do so we were busy our entire stay. I would however like to make one other comment. The restaurant onsite is not only pricy but the food was not good. Several of us ate there and we all had similar complaints. I was disappointed in that as I had been looking forward to eating there

• Disliked — Check-in problems and staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Bridges_Bay_Manager, Manager at Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 1, 2008
We appreciate your concerns on not getting the smoking room that you requested. With the State getting tightening the restrictions on smoking in public areas we have found that fewer people request smoking rooms and we have remodeled some of our smoking rooms to accomodate more non-smokers. Due to the high volume of requests for smoking rooms during your stay we were unable to accomodate everyone's request. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you and appreciate your comments and feedback.

Travelers are raving about these Okoboji hotels

Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed April 20, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Arrowwood on a business trip and found the hotel to be one of the nicest in the area. The rooms were a good value with free wi-fi and we got a really reasonable rate because it was the off season in this lake resort community. The only complaint that I have is that the beds were hard. The resort itself is clean and every staff member of the resort that we talked to was extremely helpful. While in town, my husband rented a bike from the local expedition shop and rode around beautiful Spirit Lake. We also visited a great cookie place called "Hey! Good Cookies". Definitely worth the calories! Usually hotel restaurants are average, but the restaurant on the Arrowwood property, Minervas, had great food - go for the lasagna!

• Liked — Good value
  • Disliked — hard bed
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
ArrowwoodManager, Manager at Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 11, 2008
At Arrowwood, the staff prides themselves for being very courteous and helpful. We offer unmatched hospitality and customer service both in the hotel and in our excellent restaurant, Minervas. We are very glad that you enjoyed our resort and restaurant and look forward to you coming back and visiting us in the future!
Iowa
Reviewed November 16, 2007

My king-sized business room featured a beautiful view to the golf course, a comfy bed with great pillows (and 3 decorative pillows), desk with executive chair (reading light could use some upgrade for occupants who plan extended use), small refrigerator (the rooms next door at the AmericInn provide a small microwave), new carpet, comfy chair/ottomen with tall lamp (the chair upholstery was rather worn), mammoth 27" TV with remote that malfunctioned, sufficient supply of coat hangers, pleasant stone-tiled shower but with a shower head located too low for anyone beyond "dwarf," nice bath configuration (vanity is private from the room even though it is outside the toilet/tub room) and good grab bar in the shower/tub, no slot in the wall for the box of tissues - so those were, unusually, sitting on the countertop, ironing board, luggage rack, coffeemaker, great hairdryer, beautifully scented Australian bath gel and "just ok" shampoo provided, silk floral arrangement on desk.

The room was quiet and comfortable (with the exception of the bathroom exhaust fan) and I recommend this hotel.

However, if you want to swim indoors, be prepared for a long hike up and down a few sets of stairs (it seems the building was built in stages) and be sure to take your towel since the pool area lacked both towels and a changing area!

If you choose to eat at the in-hotel restaurant, Minerva's, be prepared for slow service and some inconsistencies (our table of 8 received 2 big family-style salad bowls; the group of 8 at the next table were each served individual salads). The food ranged from okay to good (nothing was noteworthy); prices were a bit high.

• Liked — quiet, comfy hotel; view from my room, complimentary shower gel
  • Disliked — loud bathroom exhaust fan - but you decide when to turn it on
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
At Arrowwood, we thank you for you honest opinions of our property. Although, we all like hearing the good comments about our resort, we realize without hearing the criticisms as well, we wouldn’t know how to make our property better in serving you. We feel we can provide great lodging in the heart of Okoboji for families, business outings, and transient guests.
rapid city sd
Reviewed September 30, 2007

we stayed here in Sept 2007 for a college wedding. The confusion started when we arrived at the hotel and there were no signs pointing us to the room for the reception. We found the room and had a good dinner and dance.

The rooms were nice. The bathrooms were upgraded with the sink outside of the toliet/shower room. There was nice iron scrollwork throughout the bathroom area. There were large 12" ceramic tiles on the bathroom floor and it was continued throughout the shower walls. Very nice.

The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. I didn't however think that the room was worth $139 at the discount rate for the wedding. The hotel has a Minerva's resturant attached. 12 of us went there for brunch on Sunday morning.

The brunch was pretty good, but I was a little upset that the waitress was able to collect on the "over 8 in a party-mandatory 18% tip." It was a buffet...and they didn't even put us at one table, but two tables that were side by side. Our waitress collected $30 in tips and we had to ask for refills.

I don't know that I would stay here again. I'd rather stay at another hotel in the area that would cost the same, but include a breakfast in the morning.

Stayed September 2007
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 22, 2007

We were a bit worried about staying anywhere at Okoboji over the 4th of July holiday as it is usually crowded and out of control, but this hotel managed everything very well.

All of the staff went out of their way to be pleasant and helpful ( when was the last time a front desk clerk told you they'd swipe your credit card another time since it was so busy ?).

We got two connecting rooms -- a large king bedded room with a sofabed, fridge and microwave and a double bedded room.... I think this is billed as a family suite. We had plenty of space. It was clean and basic and met our needs for a two night stay.

We had booked three nights but needed to leave early -- the hotel was gracious and promptly cancelled our last nights stay with no charge.

Pool is very small, but hotel is across from the lake and is very convenient.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Babs45
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed April 26, 2007

I stayed here one night for business and was impressed. Other than having no high-speed access in my room (either wired or wireless), I was very happy with the accomodations. The hotel is clean, updated and comfortable. The beds were a bit older, but I slept fine.

I stayed during the off-season, but I would guess the place is hopping come summer.

I've eaten in the dining room before and was very happy with the food.

All in all, I'd suggest a stay if you're looking to visit Iowa's Great Lakes region.

• Liked — Nicely updated rooms, well taken care of
  • Disliked — No internet access in my room
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank sdski
Also consider these accommodations in or near Okoboji
Okoboji Commons Hotel
Ramada Spirit Lake/Okoboji
#1 of 5 in Spirit Lake
Vintage Block Inn & Suites
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Okoboji

Been to Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!