“Nothing exceptional”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Okoboji
Bancroft IA
“Nothing exceptional”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Staff were helpful and courteous. The grounds and pool areas were clean. We did see younger children in the inside pool with no adult supervision. The food was OK. The room was clean but I would have preferred a regular coffee maker instead of one cup at a time. The hotel is centrally located in the great lakes area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ArrowwoodManager, General Manager at Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for staying at Arrowwood. We are glad that you found our staff courteous and our hotel and grounds clean. We look forward to you staying with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

The staff was quite friendly and helpful. The indoor pool area was perfect for the preschool child in our group. Breakfast was typical, but unfortunately not well monitored. Both mornings we were there there were items such as coffee and waffle batter that ran out and guests had to go to front desk to ask for more. Our room was clean, but not outstanding as one might expect at this price point. When there are large receptions and parties in the conference rooms there are not adequate parking spots even for paying guests.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ArrowwoodManager, Front Office Manager at Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for the review, we are glad you enjoyed our pool and our staff during your stay. At times it is hard to keep up with the breakfast demand, but based on your review this is something we are focusing on. The breakfast staff is now anticipating what is about to run out and replenishing it before it does. Thank you for bringing the issues to my attention and hope to see you again in the future.
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Does not look as nice in person as the pics show on their website. Rooms were clean enough, but the same bandaids floated in the indoor pool the entire four days were were there. Our room was not ready at check-in. At one point we were at pool and there weren't any towels so my husband went to ask for some...they ended up bringing bathmats to dry off with. At one point while we were checking in someone came and took cups off of the front counter to put in rooms as they were out of wrapped cups. My husband went to front desk to ask for some bath towels and were told they did not have any clean at that time. Overall stay was ok, but would not go back if were in Okoboji again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We apologize for the lack of towels during your stay. We did have a washer break and even when it was repaired, it took some time to catch up with all the laundry that needed to be washed. We ordered more linens in hopes that if the situation ever occurs again during a busy time, we will have enough on hand to cover the needs of our guest. We do take pride in our hotel and your feedback will help us become a better resort.
Omaha, Nebraska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this hotel. For one, there are so many maintenance issues that are never addressed throughout the hotel. Phone didn't work in room, free Wi-Fi never worked while we were there, tub didn't drain, hallway carpets were so filthy dirty, NEVER any towels in pool area for the 3 days we were there, free breakfast was poor. Who manages this hotel because they need to be fired??!! It is run so poorly that I cannot believe it is still in business.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelConsult25
ArrowwoodManager, Front Office Manager at Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay at our resort. We too are dissappointed in our WiFi service and are excited to switch to a new provider soon. Thank you for giving us you feedback, so we can address the above issues and improve our performance. Once again I apologize and hope to see you again.

Travelers are raving about these Okoboji hotels

Corporate Office
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

I arrived on Wednesday May 29 and was greeted by a very enthusiastic front desk clerk. We had a block of rooms for our executives set aside as well as the boardroom for our meetings. Everything was just as planned. I was given a king executive suite, which is a large room with a king bed with a sofa sleeper. I had a great workspace and a fridge in my room. The catering staff was fantastic as they refreshed our room during every break and the fresh baked cookies in the afternoon were delicious. I would highly recommend this establishment for meetings and retreats. The Okoboji area has a lot to see and do!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the review. Customer Service is so important to us, and it is good to hear that we are exceeding your expectations. When you come back to the Okoboji area, stop in and spend a night, We would love to see you again!!
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

We arrived on Saturday May 18 at approximately 5:45PM. We were attending a wedding reception. The bride and groom had arranged with the hotel a group rate for the attendees. After the desk clerk checked us in he gave us directions to our room. That is when thing began to fall short. We were directed go down the stairs, I asked if there was an elevator, no was the answer. The desk clerk offered a room on the South side of the complex but that would mean a greater distance to walk to the event space. I am ambulatory but at times it can be problematic to ascend or descend stairs, especially with a roller bag.
We get to our room and the first thing my wife notices is the odor of cigarette smoke (non smoking hotel). This does not bode well with my wife and she decides to call the front desk and request another room. This is when things start to go downhill. The phone was dead and the reason was simple there was no line connecting the phone to the wall jack. My wife took the phone up to the desk. While she was attending to the room issue I decided to look out the patio door. I should rephrase that there is no patio just some rocks and grass and a view of the parking lot! I noticed the ‘Charlie bar’ was not connected to the sliding door! I put the bar in place and discovered it barely fit in the slot of the sliding door. There was only a 1 / 4” of the bar resting on the slot! My wife returned with the desk clerk and she shows us to our new room. Well it did not smell. However, we soon discovered there was only one bar of soap for the vanity/sink and shower/toilet area; two coffee services (we like to have more than one cup of coffee before venturing out. I examined the ‘Charlie Bar’ and found it fit the same way as in the original room (barley connecting). I believe a 10 year old could break in without too much trouble.
The Air conditioner took it’s time coming on and you had to set the temperature between 60 and 65 before it started.
The carpets were old and needed a cleaning. Many of the ceiling tiles in the rooms and event space were stained and should be replaced.
The Continental Breakfast was somewhat of a joke. We arrived about 09:20; there were no proteins (hard boiled eggs, breakfast sausage, etc), there were 2 bananas. The attendant came in and added some bread but did not replace the fruit or refill the 2 coffee pots. Then again of course you could dine at an overpriced breakfast bar!
As I indicated in the beginning we were attending a wedding reception two issues really stand out. One, the some of the groomsmen told the desk clerk on duty that they wanted to deliver some presents to the Bride and Grooms suite. They retrieved a key card and you can imagine what happened to their room. Suffice to say they had to move into another room. I am not letting the groomsmen off the hook what they did, let’s say was childish! What the heck was the desk clerk thinking?
Two, the presents were to be secured in a room adjacent to the main reception area. Early in the morning the bride’s mother stopped by only to find it unlocked!!! Fortunately nothing was missing.
I cannot imagine how this hotel can be rated 4 out of 5 even in Okoboji that makes it seem acceptable. Find something else! If you have the misfortune to stay here do not accept a ground floor room; potentially too dangerous.

Room Tip: review as much as possible.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JohnM004
I wanted to personally apologize for the issues that you experienced during your last visit to the resort. We do have a lot of stairs at our hotel, based on your needs and location of events, we found 1100 level of our hotel to be the best location for your stay. We do apologize for you not feeling safe in your room, all of rooms on ground level do have sliding doors which are routinely check for safety, We strive to hold the highest standards set by our company, unfortunately problems do arise. I have addressed the above issues with the staff about your stay in hopes to prevent any such problems in the future.
Des Moines, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

This is the old Brooks resort. It its day it was a very nice hotel.
They have some great photos that are deceiving. This hotel needs some definite cleaning and updating worn out and tired furniture.
I do expect my patio to be clean and free of debris.
The carpets to be vaccumed and free of any litter. Chairs to be stain free.
I would suggest going to the Ramada or the Americinn. We ended up cutting our trip short.
I will say that the free wifi and the pictures on the walls are nice.
a very friendly desk clerk.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank MillieKay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Okoboji
Inn at Okoboji
Ramada Spirit Lake/Okoboji
#1 of 5 in Spirit Lake
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Okoboji
Vintage Block Inn & Suites

Been to Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!