“Expected more”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Okoboji
Minnesota
“Expected more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed with friends and our kids over a long weekend. Booked rooms on Expedia, got to hotel and had to wait for them to figure out our rooms. Guess some issues with Internet bookings. To their benefit, they did give us drink coupons to have a drink at the bar while waiting. Rooms were alright once we got in. Clean but could use some updating. One room did not receive any housekeeping service at all & we were out of the room. Even seen the maid staff nearby when we left, whole deal was odd. We did call when we got back and really no real answers why. All in all, ok location wise, but other Arrowwood properties have been much nicer. A splurge that can't really justify.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ArrowwoodManager, Front Office Manager at Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your stay. I cannot apologize enough for your experience at check-in and with housekeeping. I have addressed these issues with all of our staff and they know the importance of cleanliness and friendliness for each guest, and that your experience and accommodations are not acceptable. I am glad that we were able to remedy the situation at check-in, and you could enjoy some drinks at the bar. We do take your experience to heart. Our goal is to create an experience at check-in that welcomes you into our home. We hope to see you again at Arrowwood and our staff eagerly awaits your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

We splurged on what we thought would be the 'Nice' hotel. Incredibly disappointed from the get go. I called ahead to say we would be in late. The desk person said that would be fine. I also asked if we could get a cot or be upgraded to a larger room. The desk person said they are booked but thought there were two cots left in 1121(?) and to just tell them when we got in. We got close to the hotel and couldn't locate the place via google maps. The girl on the phone really had an odd sense of direction but she was kind and gave me some landmarks to look for. We found it and asked about the cot. She said she didn't know where they were or if they had more or if they did and they were up stairs she would need help moving it because she couldn't do this by herself. I mentioned the room or number the desk person before had mentioned and she said she would check there if I could help her move it. Then she said she has issues finding and making the right key work as she holds up a huge wad of keys. Then she couldn't charge our card because the system was down and by the way so is the wi fi. We got down to the room/storage and we were in luck!?! The door wasn't locked. I helped haul a 'cot' to our room and she brought the only 'blanket' she could find which was a light bed spread.
Now for the rest... Yes, there is way more. The exterior door (door to building) is NEVER LOCKED. There was a broken hall light fixture that really added to the dingy of the place. The halls do smell and so does the room. There was debris in the hall from morning till night one day and even once it was picked up it was clear the hall still wasn't vacuumed. Our door lock worked but the handle had to be pulled upward rather than down? The sliding room exterior door latch was broken so the bar was crucial. We went to the restaurant twice... Once we were in there at 7ish and they said we wouldn't be seated until 9 or later because they had a large party coming. We were told we could sit AT the bar and order food. Not at a table (most were empty) but AT the bar. We did that and it took several minutes to get menu's and over half an hour to order and get our food. Not a good place to stop in for a quick bite. The staff was completely non smiling and non apologetic. Previous reviews of continental breakfast are correct. First morning they had packaged pastries, bagels only with strawberry cream cheese - no plain and only flavored creams for coffees. The next morning they had regular cream but it was sour. The breakfast room was oddly lighted, small but with very high ceilings. Weird feel to it. We went out to breakfast and came back around noon. The housekeeping had not been to our room. They knocked a few moments later and when we said c'mon in... the guy said he would be back in 5 minutes. We left thinking they wanted to do it while we were not there. Two hours later we returned and had to call the front desk to get someone to come clean. Meanwhile we had theater tickets and went looking for somewhere to eat an early dinner... It was Sunday night....in Okoboji... Forget it! We decided to give Minerva's another shot and they told us at 3:45 the kitchen was closed and they wouldn't seat us until 4:30 (Their sign says they serve lunch until 4:30). I went back to the room (it was finally 'clean' if you can call throwing the bedding over the bed and putting in fresh towels clean) took a shower and returned to the restaurant at 4:30 there was another couple waiting outside in the lobby and they entered before us... we both called and called out and finally someone came and seated each of us in the same section with another couple that somehow were previously seated. We were ready to order and waited... and others on all sides of us were seated, served and checked on by two different servers.... we were ignored. We waited for half an hour and decided that we were going to miss the theater if we waited much longer. Once we saw our waitress setting up a table in another section rather than taking our order we left and went across the street to McDonalds. NOT what we had in mind for our night out! Nobody even asked what was wrong when we walked out. We still have two more nights here and I am not thrilled. It is adequate for a cheap motel but not for the high end place it advertises or the prices they charge! I know it is difficult to know where to stay in Okoboji if you are from out of state. If you think this is the "Good" hotel think again! Stay at the Ramada in Spirit Lake! It is bound to be better!

Room Tip: A/C is loud
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jus1sec
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your stay. I cannot apologize enough for your experience regarding your room accommodations, at breakfast and in the restaurant. I have addressed these issues with all of our staff and they know the importance of cleanliness and friendliness for each guest, and that your experience and accommodations are not acceptable. We do take your experience to heart. Our goal is to create an experience at check-in that welcomes you into our home. We hope to see you again at Arrowwood and our staff eagerly awaits your return.

Travelers are raving about these Okoboji hotels

South Dakota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

I was staying for a conference. I stayed for three nights. I found the rooms very overpriced for what you got. There were only two positive things that I found:it was relatively clean, and the staff was really nice, including really nice maid staff.

However, the hotel is laid out in a really sprawled manner that doesn't make any sense and the signs aren't helpful. (I was in room 1406 and the sign said 'Rooms 1300-1400'. Mine was outside of that range, obviously and so I was very confused as to where it was. It was down that hallway, so I found that odd). If any one shuts a door at night you hear it like a gunshot next to your head. There were many doors being slammed due to a wedding. I found it really annoying to be woken up several times in the night by doors.

It did have a complementary breakfast. It was probably one of the worst ones I've seen in years. The in-room guide didn't say they even had one. It was basically cereal, old pre-packaged danishes, and basic toast/bagels/english muffins. Nothing that WASN'T a carbohydrate. Nothing warm. It was horribly disappointing. Their breakfast room also only had five giant tables for 8 so you had to share with another family you didn't know.

The menu for the room service and the in-hotel restaurant listed that they had breakfast. This was completely in-accurate and was only stated on the door to the restaurant in the morning.

The television channels also had really odd numbers - "54-19" is an odd channel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your stay. I cannot apologize enough for your experience regarding the issues you encountered during your stay. We did experience some changes throughout the summer in terms of our restaurant and rolling out our continental breakfast this past July. I apologize about not preparing the guest room binders for these changes before they had been made. We do thank you for your understanding through that. We have made vast improvements to the continental breakfast since your visit, as well as updating all the guest rooms with new and correct information about the restaurant. We do take your experience to heart. I am glad to hear that the staff was friendly and the cleanliness of the hotel was up to your standards. Our goal is to create an experience at check-in that welcomes you into our home. We hope to see you again at Arrowwood and our staff eagerly awaits your return.
Denison, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

I will start off by listing all the positive things about our stay at Arrowwood. We stayed there five nights, as Okoboji was our summer vacation. First of all, Kellie was absolutely wonderful. She answered all our questions, gave great suggestions on things to do with our kiddos. She really went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and special. Our room was clean, it smelled nice, as did the hallways and entrance to our wing. Beds were comfortable. Extra blankets in the room if needed. Our air conditioning worked great, and since it was in the upper nineties our entire stay, we sure appreciated that. There are sliding glass doors in the rooms for easy access out of your room. This is especially nice if you bring your dog, which we did. Housekeeping was friendly, and respected our do not disturb sign when we didn't need anything. The inside pool was great for the kids. They really loved it. It was clean, and the chlorine smell was not horribly strong and irritating like so many other indoor pools. The putting green was a big hit with my thirteen year old son, as well as the adjoining golf course. They have great Sunday afternoon rates which he took advantage of.....Now for the negative comments. The entry doors to the wing entrance, and the doors to the wing halls are so heavy. I could not imagine trying to open them if I were elderly or had a disability. The sliding glass door in the room is very heavy as well, though convenient if you have pets, as mentioned above. It is a long, long walk to the indoor pool if you are in the wing we were in. You have to pass through the lobby to get there. The restaraunt is also right there. That means you pass by a whole crowd of people when you come back, wet from swimming and possibly still in your bathing suits. NO MICROWAVE OR MINI FRIDGE. We had brought some food and drinks with us so we did not have to go out to eat so much and save a little money. Remember, we were going to be there five days. We had to go buy a cooler to keep some drinks in. Then we had the ice hassle, but the ice machine in our wing worked well. Outside pool had a ton of leaves in it. Didn't really expect that in the month of July. Continental breakfast was free, and that's the only good thing I can say. We had to stand in line for ten minutes to pour a bowl of cereal, and forget about using the one toaster in the room for twenty to forty people coming and going. Not enough seats, or tables. After the first morning, we never went back. We had brought are own cereal and milk anyway. The parking lot is always full and a lil' crazy. If you get the spot in front of your room/patio you are lucky. If you leave, it won't be there when you get back.....The most important thing is we had fun, the resort was clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: My tip.....our view from our patio window was of the parking lot. No fault of the hotel, that's...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Shelly L
ArrowwoodManager, Front Office Manager at Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you so much for your positive review! We always strive to make each guest experience a positive one. I'm glad Kellie made you feel right at home and played a big role in your experience in our lovely town. I would definately reccommend reserving a room on the golf-course side. Those rooms are all equipped with mini-fridges, and most with microwaves. Also, we have made a lot of improvements to our continential, since rolling it out in July. So I highly recommend returning and checking out what improvements have been made. Also, this would be a great opportunity to take advantage of our off-season rates. (Plus our fall season is just so beautiful!) We can't wait to have you and your family back Shelly!
Omaha, Nebraska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

Staff at check in were friendly and helpful. When we got to the room it was disappointing to see the golf course view was obstructed by pine trees planted very close to the building. The bathroom door wouldn't close without extreme effort. Upon inspection it just needed a shim to level the door to the frame. The carpet was quite frayed at bathroom entrance. Mold encompassed the grout line of the tub. No complimentary shampoo/conditioner but did receive upon request at front desk. Nothing heavier than a very light blanket on bed. It is summer but A/C was unpredictable. Wasn't informed of the complimentary continential breakfast by desk staff. Was informed by a hotel guest attending same function. The next morning we went to continental breakfast only to find they were out of milk. So was the attached restaurant so they couldn't borrow any. I had to wonder why someone couldn't run to the grocery store/quick shop to accomodate hotel guests. There were no bagels, english muffins or cereal bowls. Although who needs a bowl when there's no milk for cereal? The person monitoring the continental breakfast seemed more amused than apologetic about the lack of breakfast items. All-in-all I would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay else where.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kim W
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your stay. I cannot apologize enough for your experience regarding your room accomodations and at breakfast.. I have addressed these issues with all of our staff and they know the imporatance of cleanliness and friendlyness, and that your experience and accomodations are not accecptable. We do take your experience to heart. I am glad to hear that the initial part of your stay was pleasent. Our goal is to create an experience at check-in that welcomes you into our home. We hope to see you again at Arrowwood and our staff eagerly await your return.
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

Very nice staff upon checkin and was even called to see how my room was. I said it was fine. However, the rest of the week, especially in the restaurant, I felt as if the staff was annoyed. Obvioiusly these folks are young college or HS kids working over summer and want a paycheck, not really caring about customer. A business should welcome its customers and not be annoyed by them. The final straw for me was my room service tray being left in the room on the floor. When I arrived back at my room and discovered this, I called the front desk and was asked, "Well, is it bothering you?" SERIOUSLY? Would I have called if it didn't bother me. I was told soemone could come get the tray and I put it outside my room door. It was still ther ein the morning. My cusotmer suggested I stay here, Spencer Hospital. I will be back there in Spetmember but will drive to Sheldon instead where the holidyay inn there is MUCH BETTER.
Housekeeping did the minimum. . ABSOULTE MINIMUM. . .one day my garbage was never emptied. I think the issue here is the employees may not feel of value, so the customers are treated with no value either. I have been travelling for business for 11 years, and this is the first post of its kind by me. DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU WANT TO BE TREATED WITH RESPECT. College and HS kids don't care about cusotmer service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrea R
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your stay. I cannot apologize enough for your experience. I have addressed these issues with all of our staff, especially the restaurant, and they know the imporatance of customer service, and that your experience is not accecptable. We do take each guest's experience to heart and create a coaching opportunity to learn from them. I am glad to hear that the initial part of your stay was pleasent. Our goal is to create an experience at check-in that welcomes you into our home. We hope to see you again at Arrowwood and our staff eagerly await your return.
Emmetsburg, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

I came for a nursing conference, this group has been coming to Arrowwood for nine years.Check in was OK, I got down to the room which was supposed to be wheelchair acessible, wasn't. My room keys did not work. I called the front desk told to bring the keys up for new ones. Delay in getting into the room. I looked in the room service menu called to place an order, only to find out they had taken many items of the menu. The next morning I came down to the front desk for directions to my event. I and another guest stood at the desk while the clerk didn't even acknowledge us. She points down the hall and "it's down there". I follow the crowd.... to stairs. I go back down to the desk and am told there is an elevator at the end of the hall. I go back down, come back to the desk, staff rude and says she will show me and to go back down and wait. She never came. A housekeeper stepped in, there is no elevator to get to the venue. You have to go outside go through the parking lot (no sidewalks) it is pouring down rain. The front desk did nothing to help. Get down to an old converted tennis courts, the room is extremely cold, I am drenched. The staff could not get the audio functionimg. Dinner came, the food was acceptable, but halfway through they ran out of food. People stood and had to wait. The afteroon they put out the snack enough to feed 250? more like 75. We wrere told we were to come to the kitchen to let them know.? The reasons for running out of food for dinner is that people were taking too much or the Chef resigned and there was no one in charge. Navigate through the parking lot, only two cars almost ran me over. I am very disapppointed, this resort used to be the top venue in Okoboji and it ihas taken a dive. Front Desk Customer Service, Sales and Carering, Upkeep of the building, what happened? I had called twice to the property to check if it was wheeelchair accesssible and I could reach the meeting venues for the property both times I was told yes, all the rooms are wheelchair accessible. I guess I forgot to ask aboutt the ice and vending machines, the bathrooms at the meeeting room. The bathroom in the room. So I got back to the room and thought someone should know about having to go through a busy parking lot, I called the front desk asking to speak to the MOD (Manager on Duty) the front desk laughed and said something about she had locked her keys in a closet. She wouldn't be available the rest of the evening, Could she help me? So I go through my disappointment of the stay so far, this clerk has no clue what to do. She tells me she is going to call the general manager and have him talk to me. No Call Yet. About an hour later the food and beverage director who was the MOD came down to visit. Very sincere , She said she would make an adjustment to make things right. . Which she did and that the General Manager would foollow up. I used to stay at this property during the summer. It was an awesome place, with fun staff. As I sat in the lobby waiting to be picked up, I couldn't help but notice no one at the front desk smiled. greeted guests. Where guests are supposed to check in the clerk has a huge plant and her wide computer screen, she doesn't want to see the guests? Need a lot of staff training. There were some employees who went above and were helpful, the housekeeper whose name I did not get, Peter at the front desk, Lexi in room service and Casey from food and beverage. At this time I cannot recommend this property, it has so much potential to be the top resort. Please make the changes needed in staff, get it back to where it used to be, customer first.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank Scott B
ArrowwoodManager, Front Office Manager at Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your stay. I cannot apologize enough for your experience. I have addressed these issues with all of our staff and each department knows the imporatance of customer service, and that your experience is not accecptable. We do take each guest's experience to heart and learn form them. I am glad to hear that Paul, Lexi and Kacie were able to take care of you before you left. We hope to see you again at Arrowwood and our staff eagerly await your return.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Okoboji
Inn at Okoboji
Ramada Spirit Lake/Okoboji
#1 of 5 in Spirit Lake
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Okoboji
Vintage Block Inn & Suites

Been to Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!