“Definitely not Hilton nor Marriott and never will be”

Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Okoboji
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Very nice staff upon checkin and was even called to see how my room was. I said it was fine. However, the rest of the week, especially in the restaurant, I felt as if the staff was annoyed. Obvioiusly these folks are young college or HS kids working over summer and want a paycheck, not really caring about customer. A business should welcome its customers and not be annoyed by them. The final straw for me was my room service tray being left in the room on the floor. When I arrived back at my room and discovered this, I called the front desk and was asked, "Well, is it bothering you?" SERIOUSLY? Would I have called if it didn't bother me. I was told soemone could come get the tray and I put it outside my room door. It was still ther ein the morning. My cusotmer suggested I stay here, Spencer Hospital. I will be back there in Spetmember but will drive to Sheldon instead where the holidyay inn there is MUCH BETTER.
Housekeeping did the minimum. . ABSOULTE MINIMUM. . .one day my garbage was never emptied. I think the issue here is the employees may not feel of value, so the customers are treated with no value either. I have been travelling for business for 11 years, and this is the first post of its kind by me. DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU WANT TO BE TREATED WITH RESPECT. College and HS kids don't care about cusotmer service.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Andrea R
ArrowwoodManager, Front Office Manager at Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your stay. I cannot apologize enough for your experience. I have addressed these issues with all of our staff, especially the restaurant, and they know the imporatance of customer service, and that your experience is not accecptable. We do take each guest's experience to heart and create a coaching opportunity to learn from them. I am glad to hear that the initial part of your stay was pleasent. Our goal is to create an experience at check-in that welcomes you into our home. We hope to see you again at Arrowwood and our staff eagerly await your return.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

I came for a nursing conference, this group has been coming to Arrowwood for nine years.Check in was OK, I got down to the room which was supposed to be wheelchair acessible, wasn't. My room keys did not work. I called the front desk told to bring the keys up for new ones. Delay in getting into the room. I looked in the room service menu called to place an order, only to find out they had taken many items of the menu. The next morning I came down to the front desk for directions to my event. I and another guest stood at the desk while the clerk didn't even acknowledge us. She points down the hall and "it's down there". I follow the crowd.... to stairs. I go back down to the desk and am told there is an elevator at the end of the hall. I go back down, come back to the desk, staff rude and says she will show me and to go back down and wait. She never came. A housekeeper stepped in, there is no elevator to get to the venue. You have to go outside go through the parking lot (no sidewalks) it is pouring down rain. The front desk did nothing to help. Get down to an old converted tennis courts, the room is extremely cold, I am drenched. The staff could not get the audio functionimg. Dinner came, the food was acceptable, but halfway through they ran out of food. People stood and had to wait. The afteroon they put out the snack enough to feed 250? more like 75. We wrere told we were to come to the kitchen to let them know.? The reasons for running out of food for dinner is that people were taking too much or the Chef resigned and there was no one in charge. Navigate through the parking lot, only two cars almost ran me over. I am very disapppointed, this resort used to be the top venue in Okoboji and it ihas taken a dive. Front Desk Customer Service, Sales and Carering, Upkeep of the building, what happened? I had called twice to the property to check if it was wheeelchair accesssible and I could reach the meeting venues for the property both times I was told yes, all the rooms are wheelchair accessible. I guess I forgot to ask aboutt the ice and vending machines, the bathrooms at the meeeting room. The bathroom in the room. So I got back to the room and thought someone should know about having to go through a busy parking lot, I called the front desk asking to speak to the MOD (Manager on Duty) the front desk laughed and said something about she had locked her keys in a closet. She wouldn't be available the rest of the evening, Could she help me? So I go through my disappointment of the stay so far, this clerk has no clue what to do. She tells me she is going to call the general manager and have him talk to me. No Call Yet. About an hour later the food and beverage director who was the MOD came down to visit. Very sincere , She said she would make an adjustment to make things right. . Which she did and that the General Manager would foollow up. I used to stay at this property during the summer. It was an awesome place, with fun staff. As I sat in the lobby waiting to be picked up, I couldn't help but notice no one at the front desk smiled. greeted guests. Where guests are supposed to check in the clerk has a huge plant and her wide computer screen, she doesn't want to see the guests? Need a lot of staff training. There were some employees who went above and were helpful, the housekeeper whose name I did not get, Peter at the front desk, Lexi in room service and Casey from food and beverage. At this time I cannot recommend this property, it has so much potential to be the top resort. Please make the changes needed in staff, get it back to where it used to be, customer first.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank Scott B
ArrowwoodManager, Front Office Manager at Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your stay. I cannot apologize enough for your experience. I have addressed these issues with all of our staff and each department knows the imporatance of customer service, and that your experience is not accecptable. We do take each guest's experience to heart and learn form them. I am glad to hear that Paul, Lexi and Kacie were able to take care of you before you left. We hope to see you again at Arrowwood and our staff eagerly await your return.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

Stayed here over Easter weekend. We chose this property because their website stated it had a Sunday brunch. Toilet ran all night, unless one of us kept getting up and "jiggling" the handle. Pool was supposed to open at 8:00am. We stood around with several other families until 9:15am when someone called the front desk, who then called the maintenance man, who came from another property miles away to unlock it with no apology whatsoever. Once we did get into the pool area, the towels offered were as thin as tissue paper. Went to use the sauna, it did not work. As with the other reviews here....they are correct, the hallways have a definite "musty" strong smell.....

We then went to eat at the Sunday brunch, only to be told that it was by "reservation only" and that they were full and we were turned away. I know it was Easter, but no where on their website, the advertising of the brunch in the hotel, or anywhere else in the hotel, or even at check in, did it state reservation only.

I then went to complain to the front desk. The woman working the front desk looked at me and another guest standing there, didn't say a word, and walked out of the desk area and down the hallway, leaving us standing there for almost 5 minutes...desk was left unattended. She finally returned and ask me what I wanted. I told her of all of the things wrong, and asked for some type of compensation. She said she couldn't do it and gave me the general manager's business card. What lovely customer service.

I did call the GM, and he said we would be compensated....still waiting on that....

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank centralman98
ArrowwoodManager, General Manager at Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2012

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay. As I said when we spoke, I cannot apologize enough for the issues you experienced during your stay. Each of these things has been addressed with our staff to ensure that they understand that your experience was not acceptable and that we hold a higher standard for our property than you saw during your stay. We hope to see you again at Arrowwood again in the future.

Reviewed April 2, 2012

We stayed here in late March for a quick family weekend getaway. We have a 5-month old puppy, and wanted her to have a chance to play in the water (we live in the Twin Cities, where our lakes are normally still have ice on them at this time). The hotel was pleasant - clean rooms. We had no problems bringing our dog (the first floor rooms have sliding doors, which made it REALLY easy to get her outside for potty breaks). We requested a room near an exit to make it easier to get our dog outside, not knowing the rooms had sliding doors. So we ended up in a room furthest from the desk - we were the only people in the entire wing of the building. Kind of weird. If they had mentioned that the rooms had sliding doors, they could have given us a more conveniently located room.

On the whole, the best thing the hotel had going for it was the clean room and being pet-friendly. The staff was civil - they spoke with us - but weren't particularly friendly or helpful. We froze the first night, so we called at 8:30 pm the second night to request an extra blanket. When we went to bed at 10:00 pm - no blanket had been delivered (we checked outside the door). But the next morning - there was a blanket. So who knows how late they delivered it. We also called after we had arrived home because we thought we had forgotten a pair of shoes. The desk staff said they would follow-up with housekeeping. Well, I found the shoes minutes later and my husband called right back. It had been FIVE minutes, and the woman seemed to have already forgotten his call. Not so confident she actually was planning on following up with housekeeping.

Their continental breakfast was pretty bad - prepackaged cereal, bagels or muffins. But, I wasn't even aware they offered a continental breakfast...so I guess it was better than nothing.

The pool area was pretty decent - our 10-year-old had fun playing there. Although the door to get into the pool area was mysteriously locked on Saturday afternoon. The woman at the front desk didn't know why - and didn't have a key to open it - so we ended up having to walk around outside to get to the pool - kind of annoying since our child had decided not to wear shoes (yes, I did warn him that wasn't a smart idea).

Anyhow - if I was traveling again with our dog, I think I'd try the other resort in town that welcomes dogs (forget the name, but they have a waterpark...so probably even more fun for the 10-year-old). If I wasn't traveling with a dog, I'd skip this hotel because I found the service to be below standard. I also found our wing of the hotel smelled strongly - perhaps because it's rarely used in the off season. And we had to go through the laundry area to get to the main lobby - and my son couldn't resist complaining every time that it smelled bad - because it did smell VERY bad.

But we won't be going back here again. We were underwhelmed with the Okoboji area. A local said we should come back in the summer because "it gets busier." Really? Busier? I was hoping it got more beautiful, or there were more interesting state parks to roam, or there were better beaches for kids to play on, or more quaint downtown areas to shop. Nope. It gets busier. We headed south because we were looking for warmer weather. In the future, I'll wait a few weeks and head to northern Minnesota for some awesome hiking adventures!

Room Tip: First floor rooms all have sliding glass doors - ask for a room facing the golf course.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank christinamn
ArrowwoodManager, General Manager at Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are proud to be one of the only pet-friendly properties in Okoboji. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our customer service and your feedback helps us to get better. Our continental breakfast offers our guests a complimentary option that most full-service properties do not. Of course, we still have our full menu all summer for guests who prefer a heartier option in the morning.

Thank you again, we are delighted to hear that your room was clean and comfortable and we hope you will come back and see the Okoboji area in the summer when things are not just busier but more businesses are open as well as the beautiful lakes!

Reviewed November 17, 2011

I too was at Arrowwood Resort weekend meteng1 was, yes a pipe had unfurtunatly broken down by the party room(outside of the room) we were given the option of moving to a reception hall and did the next day-- the staff was very accomidating. We were very pleased with how the staff handled
everything!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your understanding on this matter. While we understand any guest would be inconvenienced during a maintenance-related incident, I am pleased to see that our staff handled the situation great and ensured you had a wonderful experience at our property. We can't wait to see you again!

Reviewed November 12, 2011

Plenty of room and a nice clean pool. Rooms are dated but generally clean.... A few cobwebs on the corner and one pillow with a gross stain.

Checking in... Guy st the desk stared st us from another room and made us wait 10 min before he came to check us in.

Our family group was planning to use a large gathering room... But found a water leak ( soaked carpet) and a really musty smell.

When my wife talked to Diane at the front desk... My wife was told to go and look for the housekeeping person... To keep an eye out for her. Seriously? What kind of customer service is that? After talking to this person at the front desk again, I was told that my wife misunderstood. I can look past a lot... But a hotel front desk person that interrupts every sentence I try to say, then tells me to "come on" when I stayed my dissatisfaction with her approach to customer service?

Look elsewhere for a place to stay in okoboji... There are many nice places. I will be looking elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Stay at hotel for an event, Was suppose to get group rate which was at higher rate than if was booked online. There was several other events happening at hotel itself. I happened to get the party type people on the floor. They started about 11 and didn't finish the yelling and running up and down the hall until 3 am. We were not that far from the front desk and no staff came to investigate or inform them to stop etc.... When I left in the morning the walkway looked like a beer festival was held and empty beer cans were all over along with empty cigarette boxes. The trash can was 2 feet away from all this. The restaurant in the hotel was good food and service. Staff at check in was good, check out was like an inconvenience to him.

Room Tip: Make sure there is not wedding or large group staying in hotel that will party all night.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Okoboji
Ramada Spirit Lake/Okoboji
Vintage Block Inn & Suites
Bridges Bay Resort
Bridges Bay Resort
#1 of 4 in Arnolds Park

Been to Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!