“Drive a little further...”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Super 8 Oelwein

Super 8 Oelwein
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Oelwein
“Drive a little further...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Traveling with a few others, called and made reservations a couple weeks ahead for double rooms. Got there, and they put my buddy and I in a smoking king single (neither of us smoke). Went to see about a switch, and found two employees outside on a bench smoking. I asked if anyone could help, and they told me they could. Told them we had booked double non-smoking rooms, and the response I received was "Well, it has a couch..." Seriously? I asked if this was the only option, since our rooms were booked weeks ago, and the gal (the manager, i believe) got kind of snippy and told me that's what she had, so I was "stuck with it." If we would have known all this, we would have driven a little further for a better hotel. Terrible customer service. If you are out this way, save yourself the trouble and stay in Independence or even Waterloo.

• Stayed April 2013
OelweinSuper8, General Manager at Super 8 Oelwein, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
I'm sorry your experience while staying in Oelwein wasn't all that you had hoped for. Unfortunately when we deal with groups as large as you we are not always able to accommodate the needs. When your office made the reservations we tried to make it clear that a few of the rooms would be smoking. We were told this would be fine since many of the men in your group were smokers. We even included a few of our suites to allow the larger group room to come together and meet as a team. Unfortunately when checking in your men were not given a choice of smoking or non smoking and a few non smokers were put into smoking rooms.
I also want to apologize for the way I responded to you when you requested a different room. It seemed obvious to me that you were not understanding that your room did in fact have a second bed in the form of a pull out sleeper sofa. I was merely trying to explain it to you in a way you could understand. Rather than you being stuck, I felt that I was stuck because I had no other rooms to even offer you once your group was completely checked in. I would have liked nothing better than to be able to move you to a room that was more to your liking.
In the future I’d like to spend more time with you during check in to help everyone get into a room that fits their needs better.
We look forward to serving the needs of your company and customer service is the first step in doing this. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help improve your next visit in the Oelwein area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

I don't enjoy staying at small name hotels but this hotel has changed my attitude towards these smaller towns, The staff here saw to my needs and I found everyone to be very welcoming. The hotel was very clean even though they were in the middle of a messy renovation.

Room Tip: I have new respect for people working in places like this after seeing the way people treat them, My...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
OelweinSuper8, Manager at Super 8 Oelwein, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for your kind review, I was a pleasure having you stay at our Oelwen Facility. I'm glad we were able to change your impression of a small town hotel . We look forward to having you back in the area again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oelwein
BEST WESTERN PLUS Independence Inn & Suites
Super 8 Independence
Super 8 Independence
#2 of 2 in Independence
Boarders Inn & Suites Fayette, IA
Days Inn Evansdale Waterloo
Fairfield Inn & Suites Waterloo Cedar Falls
Holiday Inn Express Waterloo

Been to Super 8 Oelwein? Share your experiences!