“Great staff”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Northwood
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Northwood
Reviewed April 6, 2014

It started with a problem in reservations no fault of the Northwood location . The front desk staff was aware of the problem we had had and were very apologetic . Our stay and the breakfast were AWESOME . Thanks for reassuring my faith that there still is customer service out there.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
General_Manager4712, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Northwood, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to give us a review. We are so sorry that there was an error with your reservation, but it is so good to know that everything was handled to your liking. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

The Holiday Inn Express in Northwood Iowa is a nice property with good staff. I had no disappointments whatsoever during my stay.

This hotel is actually located about seven miles from Northwood, next to the Diamond Jo Casino just off I-35, just across the border from Minnesota. We arrived in the afternoon on an Friday. There weren't many guests when we checked in, but the weather turned very nasty, with icy roads and blowing snow. The hotel filled up with travelers seeking a place to wait it out.

There were fresh chocolate chip cookies in the lobby, and a fire in the lounge area. The hotel offers a shuttle to the casino. The property is very well maintained, and the staff is very friendly and extra helpful. When I wanted to microwave some food I had brought, a staff member opened up the breakfast kitchen and did it for me.

The rooms were of the quality one expects of this chain, and there were no deficiencies. The breakfast was good, with bacon, scrambled eggs and sausage gravy and biscuits along with the magic pancake machine, fruit and cereals.

We'll stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
General_Manager4712, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Northwood, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

It is so nice to hear that everyone was very nice and helpful to you during your stay and that everything was to your liking. Thank you for your review and we hope that when you make it this way we will see you again.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We've stayed at this hotel before when frequenting the casino across the street and we've always been satisfied. We had reservations for two nights over New Year's Eve that we'd reserved in August. I called about a week before New Year's to add a third night - and when I called on 12/29 just to validate the reservation (which I often do) - I was told my reservation change now said I was leaving New Year's Eve. Yikes! The hotel clerk had made an error. I was ready to go beserk since we had other couples also driving 4 1/2 hours to this hotel and casino to celebrate New Year's Eve. But no berserking was necessary since they apologized immediately for their error and somehow made it right. Thank you Holiday Inn!
The hotel is clean, friendly staff, has a nice pool area w/ spa, and a good-enough complimentary breakfast. I appreciated the shuttle to and from (though the casino is just across the street) because after partying heartily New Year's Eve - I needed a ride back to hotel at 4 AM!
Happy New Year!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
General_Manager4712, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Northwood, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Again, we are so sorry for the mix up on your reservation. However, it is fantastic to hear that the staff was able to make everything right for you so that you could come and enjoy your stay. We hope that you will try us again next year for New Year's Eve, and thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed November 15, 2013

OK to be fair I now stay here enough that they know who I am at check in. The entire staff here gives so much effort to make you welcome. I drive through Iowa on business often and have checked in to this hotel both very late at night, and sometimes well before normal check in. The front desk staff always tries to accommodate. The hotel still seems new. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The breakfast is typical HI Express but the woman who tends to it is wonderful. The pool and hot tub are small but well taken care of. After a lot of driving I have become accustom to utilizing the hot tub to help the back. At 7 AM in the morning (pool opening) the maintenance staff went out of his way to come in and ask me if the water was acceptable. This hotel is easily accessible off the highway, and across the street from Diamond Jo casino. The exercise area is typical of many HI Expresses. The equipment is functional, but not really industrial quality.

I do believe that the suites are on the side of the hotel facing the casino and rest area. You will sometimes get truck noise from these. The backside of the hotel faces an empty field which is silent, but I think these are the standard rooms.

Thanks for the hospitality and keep up the good work HI Northwood!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
General_Manager4712, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Northwood, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Thank you so much for the very kind words you shared about us. We are very glad that everyone has made you feel welcome, that is something we have been working very hard on. We are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

After 5 days of traveling across country and getting one bad hotel after another, this place was a sight for sore eyes. Arrived in the afternoon to a quick check-in and complimentary water. Room was immaculate and very modern. Have stayed in many hotels costing several hundred dollars a night but have yet to find one that has makeup remover wipes as part of the room's toiletries- this one did! Had to get to sleep early at 8pm and slept undisturbed and comfy until we had to leave at 4am. Super nice lady at the front desk gave us warm cinnamon rolls and muffins for the road- super good! My one and only issue was that we booked a government rate that specifically said that there was no pet fee. When we called to confirm my room the lady we spoke to said that there was a pet fee but that she would wave it. When checking in, they said the fee had been waved (and it was) but I get the impression that if I hadn't mentioned it, I would have been charged even though I booked through the Hotel's website and all my paperwork said that there was no pet fee for the government rate. No biggie in the end because I wasn't charged but they may want to review the different rate policies.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
General_Manager4712, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Northwood, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Northwood. We try very hard to make everyone comfortable while with us. I am so sorry about the pet fee, we will have to look into it as we are now charging for pets. Thank you for your feedback. Hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My lovely wife and another couple spent the last Saturday night in this well taken care of Holiday Inn. The room's where very nice and good and clean and the bed's where comfortable.
We woke up to a very good free breakfast with much, much to choose from. Some very tasty omlet's, good sausage, biscut's and cravey, yougart, milk, orange juice, coffee or tea, cranberry juice, hot cinnamom roll's, hard boiled egg's, and more . Also, a very good friendly woman to keep thing's fresh and full and even help us clean up when we where done eating.
There is a nice simming pool and a good exercise room also.

Room Tip: Good location. Right off intestate 35 and not far from interstate 90. Not a far drive to Mason Cit...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
General_Manager4712, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Northwood, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

We are so happy to hear of your comfortable stay with us and know that we were able to accomodate you and your guests needs. We have been working very hard on ensuring that breakfast is up to the highest standard and that every guest will find something they would like to eat. I hope that you will be able to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is one of our favorite hotels on I-35. It is on the edge of a cornfield and could not be quieter. The rooms are large and beds are comfy with high quality linens and multiple pillows. We travel with our small dog so having a safe, spacious place to walk her is a real bonus. Lots of grass and field around the property.

Nice big bathroom and very large shower with water pik nozzle. Thick, snowy white bath towels. And wifi good enough to stream movies from Netflix!!

Across from the hotel there is a gas station, a Burger King, and a small casino. And miles of Iowa farmland. Very peaceful.

This is the fourth time we have stayed here. For an overnight it is comfortable, safe and quiet. We will continue to patronize this hotel as we travel back and forth from Minnesota to Kansas.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
General_Manager4712, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Northwood, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you so much for the amazing feedback and kind words regarding our hotel. We take pride in being able to make each guest stay memorable. We love when guests decide that they want to stay with us again and again. We hope that we are able to continue to give you great guest service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Northwood
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Northwood
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#3 of 10 in Albert Lea
Holiday Inn Express - Albert Lea - I-35
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Mason City
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mason City
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Albert Lea

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Northwood? Share your experiences!