Message from TripAdvisor:
TripAdvisor has grounds to investigate that individuals or entities associated with or having an interest in this property may have attempted to interfere with traveler reviews and/or the Popularity Index for this property. Please take this into consideration when researching your travel plans. We make our best efforts to identify suspicious content and are always working to improve the processes we use to assess traveler reviews.

“Clean, peaceful hotel with freindly staff”

BEST WESTERN Holiday Manor Newton Iowa
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Newton
Midlands, UK
“Clean, peaceful hotel with freindly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2010

I've stayed here often on business and even once bought the family with me from UK to stay for a few days. The hotel has a decent pool, plenty of parking and is set in a quiet corner just a few minutes walk from the centre of town. Staff have always been very frienly and helpful. Rooms are typical Holiday Inn Express rooms, clean and well maintained. Included breakfast is O.K. WiFi has been a bit variable for me but otherwise would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2010

We stayed at the newly franchised Holiday in in August of 2009 while we visited the Iowa State Fair - some 30 miles to the west.

The hotel, located on the west end of Newton, is convenient to I-80. The room layout was slightly strange, but the jetted tub in the main area is where we spent most of our in-room time! ;)

The staff was super friendly. One down side item: Inadequate parking. We returned late on the second evening of our stay only to find that there was not a single parking place to be had. There is alternate parking in the back, but who wants to be the only car in the dark dark lot?

I'd stay here again in a heartbeat, though - if only for the tub! ;)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kangabitt
Wright City, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2010

This was my second stay at this hotel, the first stay was one night, this time for four nights. It's right downtown, convenient to most business. It used to be a Radisson, so it's laid out a little different than your typical HIE. Nice indoor pool, and the staff seems to be polite and helpful. The breakfast buffet is typical HIE, although the breakfast room is quite small and cozy. My room was nice and spacious with nothing negative to say other than the hard bed. The housekeeping staff did not do the best job each day, and the price can be pretty high for the small town you're in.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Trski
Regina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2009

I found all the staff very friendly and accomodating . I work as a consultant and require an interent connection to remote into the office. They advertised high speed internet but the connection was very poor when I first arrived and I was unable to use it for work. Even just browsing was at a snails pace. I informed the hotel manager and she immediately called the local telco and upgraded the connection to 15mb which is very fast. (Originally it was 768k which was grossly inadequate). I was very pleased with her prompt customer service addressing the issue. Anyway, the pool is nice and the morning breakfast was above average. I came for a 2 week stay in a jacuzzi suite. I did not like that fact that they do not have fridges in the rooms. Also, be sure to ask for a non smoking suite as mine smelt like smoke. It did go away after time but I had to leave the window open for a few days. Overall it is nicer than the other hotels in town and the location is excellent. The beds are comfortable as well as the pillows. I was also impressed by the number of TV channels to choose from. The maids are friendly and they do a good job cleaning. The hotel is close to many restaurants and businesses. They have an excellent coffee shop close by (uncle Nancy`s) and quite a few restaurants within walking distance. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Newton.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank jmouly
DesMoines, from Minneapolis
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2009

All I tried to do was talk to the front desk lady about alot of info and I had a very unpleasant experience within the first 20 minutes of walking through the doors. The hotel looked gorgeous, yet the staff behind the desk needs to take another class in customer service. Her name was Amber and she was on the phone. She looked up with a rude look on her face, like I was bothering her and said she would be with me in one moment. I assumed she was taking a reservation until she started talking about her friends. I stood there for about 8 minutes and patiently waited to see how long she would actually take. Then another guest came down from their room and wanted to be switched back to a room that they originally made a reservatin for in the first place, but it was given away. Amber argued with 3 guests on the fact that they were wrong and the pc didnt show them reserving any other room but the one they were in. This went on for another 15 minutes.
Then she finally asked what I wanted in the middle of these other staying guests conversation with her, I told her that I only came in for an application.
NOTE THAT THIS ENTIRE TIME WITH 4 PEOPLE AT THE DESK SHE IS STILL ON THE PHONE WITH HER FRIEND. She finally says to the caller "I guess I have to go now" in a rude voice. She then through down the application on the counter and asked what I do for a living now. I stated " I am a General Manager of a hotel"
Then I asked a housekeeper nearby who the General Manager is of this hotel and she pointed at Amber and said "Her mother..." Then I left. What if I was a paying guest who wanted to stay at this adorable hotel? She put an unknown person at her desk on hold for a personal phone call and was rude about it. If any of my employees or myself did that, it would be loss of money or a complaint online. You could tell her mom was the GM because of how she treated people. I will also be calling the corporate office as well to complain. What if I would've been a mystery shopper from corporate? I dont want anything but this lady named Amber to treat people with a little more respect. The guest pays for the rooms that keep your hotel doors open and everyone employed with a nice job. I would have also stayed here in the future if the service was better. Thanks.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank tristin1031
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2009

Definitely a notch up from the freeway side "boxes". construction quality and room layouts definitely higher quality (and quieter as a result). Cost a bit more though, at $129 it wasn't a bargain.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Omaha, Nebraska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2008

This hotel is very nice and most of the staff is lovely. The only problem is with the cleaning staff. My fiance and I got married in Newton and booked many rooms at the Holiday Inn for our guests as well as a suite for ourselves. We were very impressed with most of the staff there and they were very helpful, even delivering cookies to our guests rooms that night.
Unfortunately something else was not delivered. I dropped off a bag at the Holiday Inn containing my clothes for the next day, including a shirt I had especially made with my new last name embroidered on it, unmentionables for my wedding night, and other personal items...this bag was delivered to our room but unfortunatley was STOLEN by a maid before I ever got to our room. While this experience was heartbreaking...not to mention embarassing since the only clothes I had available to me the next day were an extra pair of my husbands boxers and an undershirt...and the high heels I had worn for the wedding (great ensamble for interactng with your new family) whats worse is the hotels lack of action after the fact.
The hotel did comp our room for the inconvenience which was much appreciated, but when I tried to recover some of the cost for my things that were stolen the hotel offered me a free night stay...I'm sorry but I don't want to stay in your hotel again when my things were stolen! When I politely declined this offer I was told I could have my money but only if I produced receipts for all the things in the bag...I'm sorry but who has receipts for jeans they bought five years ago?!?!
As of today the hotel has not responded to my repeated inquiries and I am contemplating legal action because this system is completely unfair and hotels need to take responsibility for the people they employ!

• Liked — The front desk staff
  • Disliked — The sticky fingered staff & lack of follow through on problems
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank CAS678
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Boulders Inn & Suites Newton
Days Inn Newton
Days Inn Newton
#3 of 8 in Newton
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Newton
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Newton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grinnell
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Colfax/Newton

Been to BEST WESTERN Holiday Manor Newton Iowa? Share your experiences!