“I thought my wife was going to get preggo just from being in the room, and not from me!”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Newton
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We should have ran when we pulled into the parking lot and not only seen the garbage can full but what should have been three more garbage cans laying around it. It was like a scene from the movie Hot Tub Time Machine. Looking at the pictures on the internet it looked great but I was not even sure the place was open when we went to check in. No one at the front desk, not a light on in the building and that is Just the start. When someone finally gave us a key and we went to our room it looked like a crime scene with something splattered all over the walls and curtains that looked like blood! God only knows how much other DNA was spread through out the rest of the room.Then onto the hot tub and pool... i was not really a big fan of the brown scum that was all the way around the pool like the water had not been changed since the roaring 1920's but I was excited to hear from some of the other reviews that the hot tub had been drained at sometime so I was glad to hear that. My parents staying in the room next to me turned on the AC and tripped the smoke alarm which I'm glad to at least see worked. I like others would run FAR FAR away if even looking at this motel because I think the only good reviews that have been posted about this place were from employees who didn't want to do anything else, or the owners trying to make it look better than it really is

Room Tip: I could not think of a positive about this place other than find another place!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Michael C

Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed here for the Iowa Grand Biker Rally. The manager did EVERYTHING he could to make us feel welcome. If you're looking for the Embassy Suites or the Hilton, you shouldn't be staying here or in Newton for that matter. The room was old, but clean. Get there early so you can turn the AC in your room on. Even then I went out and got a box fan to help. They serve a cereal, toast, pastry, biscuits and gravy, coffee, orange juice breakfast until 9am. If you don't like that there is a Perkins across the highway. They have an indoor pool and hot tub, but I didn't use it. It bothered me a little that there wasn't a lock on the outside door, but the hotel is a bit secluded and pretty quiet, so it wasn't a problem. If you just want a cheap room, it's not a bad place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank johnson062610
Reviewed May 4, 2012

i tried to book this hotel online, they advertize an online special , it is a bait and switch ! When I arrived they were not willing to give me the room I booked online and told me the price would be more ! The help is by no means nice . I did not stay here after driving up from Wichita , and I am glad especially after looking at these reviews !!! The place is hard to access fromthe highway and from the outside looks run down and the resturant appeared to be closed. We drove back to Wichita to stay and I am glad I did ! I am surprized this motel meets the standards for Best Western , i am starting to think they are going down the tube !

Room Tip: Don't Stay here !!!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank blazesch1
Reviewed March 11, 2012

MOLD OLD and RUN DOWN at 4 am I couldn't stand the smell any longer I went and slept in my Motor-coach, take it from someone that has to stay in hotels for a living PASS THIS ONE BY
WATCH what the front desk charges your card before you sign, He wanted to charge me $298 for 2 night stay LOL i think he got it mixed up with a year lease price.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Stagecoach2
Reviewed February 28, 2012

This has got to be the absolute worst motel I have ever been at in my whole life. Filthy, smelly, BLACK MOLD on the bathroom ceiling, dead bugs on the floor. Even the paper card/key holder looked like it was 10 years old. THIS PLACE IS GROSSER THAN GROSS. STAY CLEAR!! Hot tub was drained and smelled like old socks, Restaurant has been closed for years, but on the phone they lied and told us it was open! I could go on and on.... just save yourself now and STAY AWAY!!
We had a "poolside" room, it smelled like a basement that had been sealed shut for years and never cleaned.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jim K
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Our family stayed one night here during the summer and were more than satisfied with everything. The room was large and comfortable, the pool is massive and fun and the other amenities were nice. Breakfast was somewhat lacking in substance and nutrition (this isn't exclusive to this hotel by any means) but all else was enjoyable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pol area.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Doug W
Reviewed June 19, 2011

What is grosser than gross ~ America's Best Value Inn in Newton, IA.

I don't even know where to start. The pee and crap fragrance when you first unlock your room or the total lack of security.

You can't even open a window to air the putrid urine smell out of your room. Had a first floor room and the exterior door opens to a back door parking lot with no lock on it. Your inner door does have a lock but no chain. Not that the chain would deter anyone but at least you might feel a bit more secure.

Did I mention the Urine smell? The room smells worse than a boys locker room where everyone had peed on the floor. We seriously over payed at $72 booking with Hotels.com. This room isn't worth $9 a night.

If I wouldn't have been so tired after arriving after dark I would have ran away in terror and lost one night fee. In fact I regret not doing that.

By the way the food is disgusting. We choose not to eat it in fear of some ungodly disease.

If you stay here - wear your shoes in the room, stick a clothes pin on your nose and take a bath in Clorox after you leave.
A bottle of Clorox in each room is needed. I can't believe anyone would give this run down urine soaked hotel a great review?

By the way the wireless internet did not work in the rooms - but thats okay I needed to smell some fresh air while I went to the lobby.

The only positive was the cheery receptionist who checked us in. I hope she is highly paid to work there - she should be!~

Room Tip: STay in a differet hotel!!!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Travelducks59
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Days Inn Newton
Colfax Inn
Colfax Inn
#2 of 2 in Colfax
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Colfax/Newton

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!