“Suitable for the overnight stay”
Review of Super 8 Muscatine

Super 8 Muscatine
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Muscatine
Princeton, Mo
“Suitable for the overnight stay”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We were looking to save money, have a clean yet inexpensive room, and a sustainable breakfast. The Super 8 was perfect. It was not fine dining, but the Raisin Bran was good, and they had yogurt. The front desk help was pleasant and although the hallway and front entrance smelled of smoke, the room was, indeed, smoke free. This seems to be the stay of choice for the blue collar worker as their trucks were parked out front. Overall, it was a forgettable stay, but exactly what I paid for.

Room Tip: You may want to ask for extra pillows. Ours were pretty flat.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ray P, Manager at Super 8 Muscatine, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for you stay at the best Super 8, Muscatine has to offer. You are right, we are a hotel that is designed for workers and truck drivers. As you and I know that some of those workers like to smoke. We have our smoking rooms at the south end of the hotel. No matter where the smoking rooms are, smoke is always going to linger. I am a non smoker my self and let me tell you I can smell smoke in my office at time even though I am 100 ft away. This does not mean people are smoking in the hallways right next to me. This means I am pretty sensitive to the smoke smell. We try leaving doors open and trying to mask the smell with fragrance but this problem will always remain. The smell is not that overpowering like rotten eggs but if you are sensitive like I am, you will know that this hotel has smoking room. We would go to an all non smoking hotel but we would lose a lot of our base revenues. We are one of a few in town that accommodate smokers. I think we may have less than 10% percent of our rooms as smoking. Our hotel is very clean and locally owned. We are in the process of updating the hotel. So if you are looking for a nice clean place that is gentle on your wallet, look no further. If you are looking for the weekend gateway of your dreams, I would say look somewhere else unless you have a great imagination. I just want to thank you again for you honest feedback. For us to keep our prices fairly low and the most competitive in town you might have to let some things go when you stay with us. Like the old saying goes, you get what you paid for. In our case I think you get a lot more than what you paid. Where else can you go pay $50 and get a clean room, a friendly staff, and a rest full night?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Grand Island, Florida
Reviewed March 9, 2013

if you can make it through the smokey hallway to your non-smoking room, you'll find it spacious, with flat pillows in a fairly comfortable bed. room was clean. it's in a good location to get some food and coffee, as this breakfast leaves a lot to be desired. we brought our dog for our 1 night stay for an extra 10$.
lots of places to eat and shop and easy to find.

Room Tip: good variety of place to eat and good location with plenty of parking, even for large vehicle.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ray P, Manager at Super 8 Muscatine, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your valuable feedback. I appreciate your straightforward opinion. Let me start off by saying sorry and thank you at the same time. I am sorry that our hotel did not meet or beat your expectations and thank you for giving us the customer voice. Without this voice we would be running around thinking everything is fine and dandy. We are located right off Hwy 61 and Hwy 38 and very close to every demand generator this town has to offer. Food is within a earshot away. Our rooms are very clean like you stated. What we are lacking is the updates that most people see at the middle to high end hotels. We are having the carpet made as we speak. This carpet in my opinion will give a new vibe to the hotel. The bedding will be replace fairly soon this year since it is required by brand standards. This means no more flat pillows and yes the nice fluffy one that do not give when you rest your head on it. The new look will be more appealing. The brand is making some serious changes here in the near future. Like those outdated TV we have. We will be going to 32-39in flat screens within a year. Since we are locally owned and not a huge corporation, we have to keep in mind a budget. To say I want to do this and that is very easy till the bill comes. That is why we are doing things little by little. Long as we put love into the property the property will love us back. Again I am truly sorry about your stay with us. Please keep coming back and letting us know what you think, since you know what is going on behind closed doors now.
Pocatello, Idaho
Reviewed February 3, 2013

The hotel is older. The carpet in the hall is stained. I understand; no money for renovation. The room was... ok. Older furnature, fixtures and facilities. Again, I understand. However, when my room filled with cigarette smoke at 5:00 A.M., and I had to check out because of it, and no offer of compensation. That, I don't understand. The lady was pleasent, but she just didn't get it. She said that there was a lady in the lobby smoking and being belligerent and they had her arrested. VERY GOOD! But still no compensation. No refund. No discount. Not even a bagel... scince I had to check out before breakfast was ready to be served. I'm not saying "Don't stay here!!". I'm just telling how my stay was.
P.S. It was a Sunday morning and I had planned on sleeping in. I was not already planning to get up and leave at 5:00 in the morning.

• Stayed February 2013
Ray P, Manager at Super 8 Muscatine, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Let me start off to say that we are very sorry that your stay was not pleasant. We strive to make sure each and every guest that stays with us has a restful night. I am sorry that your stay was less than desirable. The hallway smelled like smoke that morning because a certain guest maybe from out of state did not realize that you can only smoke in the smoking room and not in the hallway. Trust me we were very unhappy with her, after that incident. I do not want you to feel that you got ripped off. Please call me directly at the hotel and we can work out a compensation for your stay. We do go out of our way to make everyone happy. Yes this property is need of new carpeting in the hallway. We just had a gentlemen give us a bid on the hallway carpeting and we are in the phase of choosing which design we want to place in the hallway. All I can ask from you is please call me directly at the hotel and I will make sure you are compensated. I am sorry that I was not there at the time at the hotel or I would have made it right. I understand that you a very acute sense of smell. As we all know smoke does tend to travel well and linger. Even if someone was smoking outside the property the HVAC units can bring the smell into the room. No matter what the case was, we are at fault for not providing you with a room that was on a different floor than our smoking rooms even though there was a guest that did not follow the hotel policy on smoking. The only advise I have for you the next time you travel is to ask for a room that is far away from normal smoking rooms and explain to them your sensitivity to smoke. This will help prevent a lot of issue for you. There was a guest that did not know that follow the hotel policy. Our breakfast has been revamp to the brand standards and we are only allowed to serve certain items such as: Coffee, Orange Juice, Apple Juice, Milk, Fruits, Yogurt, Wheat/White Bread, Cinnamon Rolls, Oatmeal, Hot Cocoa, Frosted Flakes or Rasin Bran Cereal and Belgian Waffles.
Oskaloosa, Iowa, United States
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Location was very good, the building was fine, but there were chunks of mud (the size of olives and smaller) all over on the very stained carpet in the halls and on the stairs all 3 days we stayed there. There were also smaller mud chunks on our bathroom floor, and 2 muddy hand prints on the bathroom wall! Gross! It made me think the bathroom had not been cleaned at all after the previous occupants. It was obvious in the 3 days we were there, NO ONE ran a vacuum. Also we were given 1 bath towel for 2 adults in a 2 Queen bed room. We asked for more, and they apparently opened the door and just sat them on the sink without coming inside the room at all, as nothing was touched inside. No cleaning was done to our room any day we were there, no coffee replaced, and we were to our last square of toilet paper when we left. I would not stay here again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ray P, Manager at Super 8 Muscatine, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Super 8 of Muscatine in Muscatine, IA. Our top priority is creating an environment in which our guest can relax, renew, and recharge. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Constructive feedback from our guests is crucial in our continued quest to provide unparalleled guest service and impeccably clean lodging accommodations. Our hotel has recently changed management and we are in the process of renovating the entire hotel. We truly believe your feedback is very important in keeping us on track with our renovation project. Since our renovation project didn’t start till the middle of December, we invite you back to grade us on the new changes. For our future guest we would like to say that we have been running hotels for over 75 years collectively and we are always ready to greet you with open arms. You can always count on having a friendly staff, clean rooms and the lowest rates available in town.
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We just stayed at this motel and it could use some cleaning. The hallways were dirty with a lot of clumped, dried mud on the stairways. Our room's carpet was so/so and there was still a pile of dirt behind the door in the bathroom. There were also dirty handprints on the wall of the bathroom and a tear off strip from a catsup container was still on the night stand. We were there for 2 nights - had to ask for extra towels and the room was not touched during the second day while we were gone, other than to pick up used towels and drop off new. The grassy area outside was also littered with cans and debris. I will say that the front desk people were friendly and definitely brought the extra towels. The beds were also comfortable. Just needs a little extra cleaning to bring it back up to par. Would be willing to give them another try in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends