“Room filled with cigarette smoke at 5:00 in the morning and no offer of any compensation.”
Review of Super 8 Muscatine

Super 8 Muscatine
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Muscatine
Pocatello, Idaho
Reviewed February 3, 2013

The hotel is older. The carpet in the hall is stained. I understand; no money for renovation. The room was... ok. Older furnature, fixtures and facilities. Again, I understand. However, when my room filled with cigarette smoke at 5:00 A.M., and I had to check out because of it, and no offer of compensation. That, I don't understand. The lady was pleasent, but she just didn't get it. She said that there was a lady in the lobby smoking and being belligerent and they had her arrested. VERY GOOD! But still no compensation. No refund. No discount. Not even a bagel... scince I had to check out before breakfast was ready to be served. I'm not saying "Don't stay here!!". I'm just telling how my stay was.
P.S. It was a Sunday morning and I had planned on sleeping in. I was not already planning to get up and leave at 5:00 in the morning.

• Stayed February 2013
Ray P, Manager at Super 8 Muscatine, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Let me start off to say that we are very sorry that your stay was not pleasant. We strive to make sure each and every guest that stays with us has a restful night. I am sorry that your stay was less than desirable. The hallway smelled like smoke that morning because a certain guest maybe from out of state did not realize that you can only smoke in the smoking room and not in the hallway. Trust me we were very unhappy with her, after that incident. I do not want you to feel that you got ripped off. Please call me directly at the hotel and we can work out a compensation for your stay. We do go out of our way to make everyone happy. Yes this property is need of new carpeting in the hallway. We just had a gentlemen give us a bid on the hallway carpeting and we are in the phase of choosing which design we want to place in the hallway. All I can ask from you is please call me directly at the hotel and I will make sure you are compensated. I am sorry that I was not there at the time at the hotel or I would have made it right. I understand that you a very acute sense of smell. As we all know smoke does tend to travel well and linger. Even if someone was smoking outside the property the HVAC units can bring the smell into the room. No matter what the case was, we are at fault for not providing you with a room that was on a different floor than our smoking rooms even though there was a guest that did not follow the hotel policy on smoking. The only advise I have for you the next time you travel is to ask for a room that is far away from normal smoking rooms and explain to them your sensitivity to smoke. This will help prevent a lot of issue for you. There was a guest that did not know that follow the hotel policy. Our breakfast has been revamp to the brand standards and we are only allowed to serve certain items such as: Coffee, Orange Juice, Apple Juice, Milk, Fruits, Yogurt, Wheat/White Bread, Cinnamon Rolls, Oatmeal, Hot Cocoa, Frosted Flakes or Rasin Bran Cereal and Belgian Waffles.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Oskaloosa, Iowa, United States
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Location was very good, the building was fine, but there were chunks of mud (the size of olives and smaller) all over on the very stained carpet in the halls and on the stairs all 3 days we stayed there. There were also smaller mud chunks on our bathroom floor, and 2 muddy hand prints on the bathroom wall! Gross! It made me think the bathroom had not been cleaned at all after the previous occupants. It was obvious in the 3 days we were there, NO ONE ran a vacuum. Also we were given 1 bath towel for 2 adults in a 2 Queen bed room. We asked for more, and they apparently opened the door and just sat them on the sink without coming inside the room at all, as nothing was touched inside. No cleaning was done to our room any day we were there, no coffee replaced, and we were to our last square of toilet paper when we left. I would not stay here again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Ray P, Manager at Super 8 Muscatine, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Super 8 of Muscatine in Muscatine, IA. Our top priority is creating an environment in which our guest can relax, renew, and recharge. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Constructive feedback from our guests is crucial in our continued quest to provide unparalleled guest service and impeccably clean lodging accommodations. Our hotel has recently changed management and we are in the process of renovating the entire hotel. We truly believe your feedback is very important in keeping us on track with our renovation project. Since our renovation project didn’t start till the middle of December, we invite you back to grade us on the new changes. For our future guest we would like to say that we have been running hotels for over 75 years collectively and we are always ready to greet you with open arms. You can always count on having a friendly staff, clean rooms and the lowest rates available in town.
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We just stayed at this motel and it could use some cleaning. The hallways were dirty with a lot of clumped, dried mud on the stairways. Our room's carpet was so/so and there was still a pile of dirt behind the door in the bathroom. There were also dirty handprints on the wall of the bathroom and a tear off strip from a catsup container was still on the night stand. We were there for 2 nights - had to ask for extra towels and the room was not touched during the second day while we were gone, other than to pick up used towels and drop off new. The grassy area outside was also littered with cans and debris. I will say that the front desk people were friendly and definitely brought the extra towels. The beds were also comfortable. Just needs a little extra cleaning to bring it back up to par. Would be willing to give them another try in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
The Netherlands
Reviewed October 24, 2012

this was a fairly nice place, the carpeting really could use a good cleaning, the room was ok but we felt a bit unsafe in the room cos the door would not close tightly, seemed to have a gap around the door way,,, no fridge or microwave in room, internet was ok,, but the storm knocked it out in the morning after a fairly OK breakfast,, price was reasonable,, bed was pretty comfortable,,

Room Tip: watch for the EXTRA money tagged to your bill for the SAFE in the room.. they will tag the charge to...