“Nice Italian”

Salvatore's Ristorante
Ranked #1 of 80 Restaurants in Muscatine
Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Salvatore's "trattoria" has been a staple in the downtown Muscatine area since 1985, when Reno Vitale moved here from Palermo, Sicily, the original home of pizza and pasta. In Italy, the word "trattoria" means a small, informal restaurant, often off the beaten path on a small block or street. Here at Salvatore's, we try to capture the mood, flavor and taste of the famous Italian trattorias. Come into our locally owned and operated restaurant tonight for a taste of real Italian flavor right here in Iowa.
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Salvatore's was recomended to me by the hotel I stayed in when I first checked in. The food was good, the staff friendly and you couldn't ask for much more than that.

1  Thank Greg N

Reviewed July 29, 2013

real pizza. thin crust with real fresh ingredients. We picked it up to bring back to our B and B strawberry Farms.

1  Thank lisasherryinterieurs
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Not a good experience. I made reservations here for my family and my in-laws and parents. We were a party of 8 and I made reservations for 7:00. We arrived early, around 6:30 and were told we would have to wait, which was fine since we were early. The hostess said to wait 10 minutes. Forty minutes later (10 minutes after our reservation), she finally came to seat us. She walked off, not even waiting for us to sit down. Even though we told them we needed a high chair, there was not one there so I tracked one down myself since the hostess was nowhere to be found. We did not have any menus or silverware. We eventually had to ask for both and the waitress was extremely slow. I could see they were busy so I gave them the benefit of the doubt, but it was one thing after another. Getting service was like pulling teeth. As far as the food was concerned, it was a mixed bag. the bruschetta was awesome as was the cheesy breadsticks. The entrees were mostly average to slightly above average. The veal marsala was absolutely terrible. I couldn't eat it. It seriously tasted like ramen noodles. We waited forever and didn't have our food at 8:30-an hour and a half after our reservation. My kids were literally asleep. I finally approached the hostess and explained that we wanted our food and were unhappy with the service. She said it would be 4 minutes. About 10 minutes later we finally got our food. Shortly after that, a gray haired man that I presume was the manager came by the table and gave us a bunch of attitude and explained that waiting an hour and a half was normal for them. When I explained that we were the only people left in the restuarant that were there when we arrived, he said they don't cook by order-no idea what the hell that was supposed to mean. Anyway, after crappy service and a really long wait, the last thing we wanted was attitude from the idiot manager. Very dissapointing. I really wanted to like this place, but I can't imagine a much worse experience. To their credit, the waitress took the veal marsala off the bill and offered free desert, but since we didn't have another hour to wait, we declined the desert.

2  Thank TTU116
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Great service, atmosphere from the moment we walked in the door. Owner came by to chat, talked about the selections and came up with off-the-menu items for smaller appetites. The spaghetti sauce was to die for and small plate lobster lasagna was superb. Wine was well suggested and served. Don't miss this spot

3  Thank Ray S
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I've been going to Salvatore's for a couple of years now and the quality is always consistent. Claudio, the owner, is always there and possibly the main responsible for that. The staff is friendly, the portions big and the flavors truthful and honest.

All in all, this is great Italian fare for a decent price. Try the cheese garlic bread and the rope sausage appetizer - and the tiramisu for dessert is the best this side of Chicago...

1  Thank Roberto M

Been to Salvatore's Ristorante? Share your experiences!