“Not happy for the price you pay”

Sleep Inn & Suites Mount Vernon
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mount Vernon
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

First stay eas great woth no complaints!! This time however.........! Took over 25mins. to check in even with prior reservation (lady didnt knw what she was doing). No pool towels and when we asked for some they said their washing them!!! All of them? Very loud and noisy from other guests well past 2am! When I notified Front desk, they didn't seem to care. Although the noise was clearly bothering other guests as I saw people popping their heads out of room to see what was going on! At 2am!!! That, Followed by a snowblower outside my window at literally 5am!!! Didn't get any sleep!!! Breakfast was good! Wide selection!!! Room was clean And comfortable (minus the noise) No bath tub!??? In the end I would've prolly tried to give this place another chance, had they not charged my card literally 4 separate times!!!! That was the worst part!!! I will now never stay there again!!!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ravenator15
Jason L, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Mount Vernon, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

I would like to give my sincere apology for failing to meet your expectations. We appreciate your feedback, as we strive for excellence with every guest. I have spoken with the staff members in which you encountered, to make sure this would never happen with another guest. I appreciate your wonderful comments on the breakfast and the condition of the your guest room. I have spoken with our snow removal company about coming at a later time, so they are not disturbing our guests.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and if you would like to contact me directly, I would be more than willing to do everything in my power to make this right.

Kind Regards,

Jason Lucky

Reviewed July 2, 2013

OK I have to confess I wasn't here much, only slept 4 hours. We were mostly at events for J & P Cycles Open House. Everything was clean, the staff was friendly. I liked that they had a computer in the lobby we could use since I don't carry one on my Harley. They told me I could park under the main since it was raining a bit. I also enjoyed the fact the included breakfast had some protein - scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, yogurt. They had quite a selection, some fruit also. I didn't get around to checking out any other features. It was just about a half block from a Hardees. I was very happy with my stay here.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Let's be honest, there really is no other hotel in Mt. Vernon. Despite the fact that I'm very picky about hotels, we decided to take a chance and stay here rather than a short 20 minutes down the road in Cedar Rapids. What a truly pleasant surprise!!!

True, this is not a big, fancy hotel. But it is clean, appears to be newly renovated throughout, the rooms are spacious with a nice LCD television, the showers are hot and there are plenty of towels, there is a small (3 pieces of equipment) exercise room, indoor pool, big lobby, and free wi-fi in the rooms. The buffet breakfast included coffee, various juices, milk, various yogurts and cereals, cheese and egg omelets, sausages, bacon, biscuits and gravy, fresh fruit, bagels, and the ability to make your own waffles (delicious BTW). This is pretty much standard fare at a big city hotel, but I was shocked to find all this at the only hotel in a tiny town. BRAVO! Oh, and the staff was VERY pleasant. I have nothing I would suggest improving. If you are looking for places to eat, the best (only?) Mexican restaurant in town is basically across the parking lot, along with a Subway and fast food. The lovely, quaint main street is only a few blocks away by car and I highly recommend "Fuel" for coffee and either the Lincoln Wine Bar for wood fired pizza or dining at the Lincoln Cafe a couple doors away. Visit the many shops as well and try some of the home-made flavored Scottish shortbread at The Perfect Blend Gift Shop.

Room Tip: Well, you're surrounded by farmland and the parking lot, so your choice of "views" lea...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank B0xcar
Jason L, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Mount Vernon, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Dear Samantha,

Jason Lucky
Sleep Inn & Suites
319-895-0055

Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

It had been a while since my wife and I stayed in a Choice property. The Mount Vernon Sleep Inn turned out to be a great experience. The rooms were clean and well sized. And the two os us could actually be in the bathroom together without bumping into ea@h other or having to negotiate who got what percentage of the counter space. The exercise room was small but adequate (Hey, at least there was one) the pool was at a perfect temperature and spacious and the hot tub was a perfect way to end the day. The "hot" breakfast the following morning was very good. (Had seconds on the biscuits and gravy) We will stay here again if the need arises

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I travel extensively for business and this hotel is the best overall value I have ever experienced. Spacious and spotless clean. Accommodating staff that is friendly and professional. You can stay here with confidence. The rooms rival Hampton's, Holiday Inn Express and Fairfields in comfort and spacious size. The price was affordable. Breakfast served was nice. Weather the night I stayed was nice so I slept with window open and it was nice and quiet in the area.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I don't believe there are any other hotels in the Mt. Vernon area, so luckily this is a nice stopover. We were visiting Cornell College and were pleased. It is very close to campus and to a couple restaurants in town. Breakfast was nice too.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I will say, the staff at the Sleep Inn went above and beyond for me and my kids. They allowed me to check in early (noon) on the day of my reservation because I had to work (I am able to work away from home). The kids (older) were able to go swimming in the afternoon to say occupied.

The hotel is located by Hardee's, Subway, and Dairy Queen... which is nice people who like to walk (within steps from the hotel).

The pool area is adequate for a Sleep Inn. The kids had a great time playing and the adults were able to have a beverage watching them.

Breakfast was nice in the morning (a big area to eat/not crowded)... nothing extremely fancy, but it got the job done with a bonus of fresh fruit.

We will return. Thanks for a fun evening!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites Mount Vernon? Share your experiences!