“Great food~the best atmosphere!”
Review of River Rock Cafe

River Rock Cafe
Cuisines: American
omaha
“Great food~the best atmosphere!”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

On the banks of the Skunk River in Oakland Mills-this out of the way diner had the best food and good on the wallet too. Great atmosphere right next to the river-casual,comfortable and a great place to take the family!

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank gmm51

Washington IA
“Quaint little place with good food!”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I would have given this a 5 except you have to go through the bar and up a narrow stair to get to the restaurant. Food was great though. Kind of a hidden gem. You have to know it's there.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank ceta
Westwood IA
“Nice Place for the Price”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This is a popular spot for Mt. Pleasant residents making the short drive to Oakland Mills Park for a meal. It's also convenient for those camping or visiting the park, located along the Skunk River.

Weather permitting, seating is available ouside with a nice view of the nearby river. However, the night we were there some redneck with a big 4-wheel drive pickup parked right in front of our table and completely blocked our nice view.

Prices are extremely reasonable and the service has always been good. Many like their biscuits and gravy for breakfast, though we have never tried breakfast there. My choice is always the huge breaded tenderloin sandwhich.

No need to dress up going to this place. It is very casual.

Visited September 2012
3 Thank johndsimsjr
Fairfield, Iowa
“Many better restaurants in the area”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I went to college in Mt. Pleasant, but had never heard of this place. Now live abt 20 minutes away in Fairfield. My husband and I decided to give the cafe a try for lunch. First, you seat yourself, although they don't have a sign or anything. Luckily, we came in at the same time as some others, and just followed their lead. Our waitress was civil at best, not friendly at all. I tried to order a crabby burger, but they were out. I ended up ordering a side salad and some cottage cheese. The cottage cheese never arrived, and our waitress disappeared, so all I had was a salad. It was bagged lettuce, a few cucumbers, two cherry tomatoes, a whole bunch of onions and a packet of ranch dressing. They don't even make their own dressing! Also, hopefully you aren't thirsty-- you get a can of pop and a glass of ice, and since you never see your waitress again, you won't be getting any refills. My husband had chicken strips and steak fries. The chicken was ok, nothing special. We also didn't see the huge portions that everyone was talking about. The steak fries were not crispy or seasoned. The last thing I wanted to mention-- when you are paying here, make sure you pay attention to the charges. Our waitress put the ticket up front, still having written down that I got a crabby burger, and no mention of the salad I ordered. I had to explain to the guy checking us out that there were no crabby burgers available, and that I had a salad instead.

Honestly-- my advice would be that if you are looking for somewhere to eat in Mt. Pleasant, check out one of the restaurants in town, there are many good ones. If you don't mind driving a little, and want this same type of food, check out Mike and Nikki's in Fairfield. They have a bigger menu with this type of food, and their food is all homemade-- no packets is ranch dressing. Also, the waitresses are much nicer, and the prices are better.

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank Niko1981
Mount Pleasant, Iowa
“This is not the place to go if you are on a diet!”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I would say the food is avereage, it reminds me of a typical 'mom and pop cafe.' The decor is pretty cool. The service is so-so. The waitress doesn't bring your bill to you, she brings your drink and food and that's it, after that you dont usually see your waitress until it's time to pay (then you have to go up to the cash register and they figure out which bill is yours.) I will say that the tenderloins are huge and probably the best around! But don't order it with mayonnaise, they buy the cheapest mayonnaise and it's nasty! And, the lettuce is usually a bagged salad mix (with pieces of cabbage in there as well.) When I order lettuce for a sandwich, I expect it to be lettuce, not a salad mix.

• Visited November 2012