“Not a chain, that is a good thing”
Review of Penny's Diner

Penny's Diner
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Located north of the Omaha/Council Bluffs area on I-29 it is a decent place to stop for a meal. I like old Diners and Penny's is a very good example of what a Dinner should be. The food is typical dinner fare. The staff was friendly and the service was good.
Two other Dinners in th area is Mel's in Fremont Ne and The Hollywood Diner just south of the Omaha airport

1  Thank jantraveler9
GM_OTI, General Manager at Penny's Diner, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear jantraveler9,

Thank you for your review! Our aim is to provide good food, good service in a fun atmosphere. We hope you will visit again soon.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Great place if you like greasy spoon. OK for meals. Not to bad if getting a stack of shortcakes, or like breakfast meals. Cute decor, clean bathrooms. Not a fast stop, but is open 24 hours, so that is a nice option if traveling off hours.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I saw that PrincessSusan's review BEGINS with "Yes, his place is a greasy spoon..." By that very definition, I don't know how it ends up with 5 owls! It's noplace near a "greasy spoon"...perish the thought!

Driving back from Omaha we saw the "usual" on the state road sign...McDonald's, Subway, "Penny's Diner"!? We drove from one end of Missouri Valley to and back (didn't take 5 minutes) before seeing Penny's behind the "Oakwood?" motel out near the highway. In fact, check in for the motel is at the diner! But this is a review, not a travelogue!

I had the "Iowa Sandwich" (breaded pork cutlet on a bun with onion, pickle, tom...etc) and fries. My wife had the fish basket, (breaded, deep fried fish) and fries and my son had the bbq hamburger. My son and I had shakes, (cherry and vanilla). The shakes...classic diner...tall glasses and they brought the frosty stainless beakers with the remaining shakes! The food was plentiful and very good. The fries were a-okay...thick cut but not greasy. The establishment is bright and clean, (blue and white being he primary shades) with booths or counter service as your seating options. For as reasonable as the prices were, its worth bypassing Micky-D's and going to Penny's!

Reviewed August 8, 2012

You're looking for a classic american diner? This is it! The place looks like it came out of a storybook, even though it looked a bit run down.

We went to the diner to get something to eat. The breakfast menu was great and the coffee was good. The only thing I did not like was the time it took to prepare our food, but otherwise I have nothing to complain about. Would visit again!

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Yes, this place is a greasy spoon. But it is surprisingly clean, the staff are all very friendly, & the food is wonderful! Breakfast was free each morning because we stayed at the adjoining hotel. Dinner was equally good! The cinnamon rolls are the size of salad plates & are quite rich. Loved eating here every chance we got!