“Best hotel in town”

Rodeway Inn & Suites near Okoboji Lake
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Milford
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 14, 2013

This hotel looked to be brand new on main building and we enjoyed a lot while staying for a couple of days on this Christmas time. Complimentary breakfast was great and our kids loved to have hot dishes. We will come back again in the future. Thanks.

Room Tip: Rooms on main building
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Indeed, this motel burned down and was rebuilt...but it is a maze of buildings, (converted garages), etc. I think Rex W. probably stayed in the new building, so this review deals with the long building "out back", (that DIDN'T burn to the ground).

You walk this way and that to find a doorway leading outside from the front desk area, accross the gosh awful small parking lot, (I had to do a 7-point turn to get out of my space in the morning, they are packed in so tightly). The rooms, I believe, used to be the "outside" variety, but sometime in the past they build a covered walkway in front of them, (possiblty why the parking is such a challenge). The SIZE of the room? Nothing to complain about there. You come in, pass the ironing board and the iron which is in a holder 6-1/2' off the ground! I pitty the person who has THAT fall on their head trying to get it down! That's followed by a blond 2-door wardrobe. That is followed by a dark brown leatherette table beneath a shelf holding an enormous tv. (Hey, if it ain't broke, why replace it, huh?). Ooops...I forgot about the cabinet with the mini refrigerator, (nice and cold) with a microwave on top and a coffeemaker on top of that! (Coffeemaker cord was too short to reach anywhere)...had to sit the tray on the ground next to the double-drawer wardrobe and beneath the table. Next to the wardrobe was a blue vinyl 2-seat hide-away. Above that, (also about 6-1/2 feet off the ground) was an Admiral thru the wall a/c unit. (Though a tad over 6'-1", I had to step up on the setee to adjust the a/c! Beside that was a double goose neck floor lamp with plastic half-shades. The window was a solid picture window, (non-egress)...we figured we MIGHT be able to break it if we filled our big stainless steel thermos with water before bed! The two twin beds (each with a quaint village on a river scene picture above them, [yes...both pictures the same]) were seperated by a nightstand with a vinyl surface bubbling up from years of spillage. This was capped with a modern lamp. Interestingly, the room had no smoke detector! (Had an empty mount for one).

The bathroom was spacious, with dual spiral lightbulbs above the sink/vanity. The "hot" water, I'm afraid, never got to that stage...perhaps if we'd been the very first one's up in the morning, we'd have gotten a hot shower or bath!

Did I mention the smell? I'm not COMPLETELY satisfied it was only the smell of "fresh-ish" paint, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, (even though I DID hear a dog barking in a room). Too bad they didn't have professionals do the painting. There was a 2' long drip on the bathroom door they didn't bother to wipe off! You know those cute pictures I mentioned? The accent wall (dark red) paint in the sleeping room was slopped all over the frames, (didn't bother taking them down). So I don't know about the"...beautiful hotel, all new, very clean, well decorated, modern" hotel Rex W. visited, unless he's related to the hard-to-understand proprietor. As for the wonderful breakfast? I had the misfortune of seeing the bottom of the pot the sausage gravy, (the only hot item beside self-made waffles)...it was caked with who knows how many years of heated and re-heated sausage gravy?

Considering the price...I wish I could give this a "poor +" or an "average -" rating! :) Just too many things to overllook I'm afraid.

Room Tip: Find out which PART of this hotel/motel they are booking you into!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Bojitourguide, Public Relations Manager at Rodeway Inn & Suites near Okoboji Lake, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you for resopnding on trip advisor. Your comments will help us to provide better service to our future guests. As to the maze of building, we have four buildings on the property that have allowed us to grow. The garage that you speak of was actually an addition that was never a garage, which we recently converted from three rooms to two, making them more comfortable for our guests. The hallways were created so that the guests would have easy access to our amenities such as our free breakfast and the pool, spa and exercise areas. The building on the west side of the property where you stayed was enclosed some time ago so that our guests could be inside and protected from the elements when entering their rooms. We have 11 rooms in the back with 15 parking spots. We have ample parking as well on the south of the main building as well as accessory parking across the street.

Thank you for pointing out the logistics for the iron and the ironing board, as well as the shelf that the television sits on. We just painted that room, and with the busy weekend in the middle of October, we didn't quite address all of the things that we needed to so that we could accomodate both a wedding party and soccer tournament guests. We did catch the drip on the bathroom door, and will be replacing the pictures. The smoke detector was installed, and the nightstand is being replaced.

We are looking at replacing our heating and ac units in those rooms. As you can imagine after such a devastating fire, we are moving forward. We have only been open since June, and had no utilities to these rooms prior to that. This causes problems that we are just now discovering and addressing.

As far as the bottom of the sausage gravy pot goes, we sanitize that every day. We discard any unused gravy and use fresh daily. We may have some cosmetic issues, but we take the health and happiness of our guests very seriously.

We invite you to give us a call and we can discuss this, and how we can make it right by you, further. Again, thank you for bringing attention to your concerns.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

A beautiful hotel, all new, very clean, well decorated, modern -- staff was very helpful and pleasant, and gave us a good rate . They let us play cards in the lobby -- it has a new pool and new hot tub. Great breakfasts every morning - waffles, biscuits and gravy, etc -- fruit and breads -- 3 kinds of coffee!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rex W
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Mgr. tried to get into our room while we were sleeping! This was on our second night's stay!

Window AC in our bathroom Made for a very COLD shower!

Paid $124 for this???? No offer for a room rate adjustment after the second night experience!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank unhappyguest37835
Reviewed August 7, 2011

From the minute you step foot in the lobby, you'll know this isn't the place you want to stay. The lobby has an off odor that is hard to pin point the source but it is a smell you won't forget. When checking in, we had an issue with the price of our rooms. When we reserved them the young lady quoted us one thing and we had to pay another. Upon questioning the manager/owner she kept wanting to just show me calculations using a calculator rather than explaining to me the difference in price. Our room smelled like a circus complete with elephants and hay coming directly from the AC unit. The night stand and the window sills were covered in dry dead bugs. We went back down stairs to talk with the manager and she made one excuse after another for the lack of cleanliness, none of which were even logical. The beds were hard and the furnishings were very old. I had reservations about this place going in and they were confirmed upon arrival. If you find yourself in the same situation as me with this hotel as your only option, don't book it.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank tripreview324
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Spirit Lake is a tourist area, so it is hard to find a reasonably priced simple motel for a quick stay. That said, this Rodeway is marginal, at least in the 'annex' across the street from the main 2-story lodge. The annex looks like it was a separate motel at one time, and is pretty shabby. The owners have tried to stuff too much into the tiny, narrow rooms, I suppose to be able to advertise them for a week's stay. Ours had a table and two chairs, a mini-fridge (that we unplugged 'cause it was so darned loud), a tiny microwave, a coffee maker (that could only be used by putting it on the floor in order for the cord to reach an outlet), and an enormous old-fashioned tube TV that made it nearly impossible to pass from the bed to the bathroom.
This motel is on a busy highway, and even though the road speed is only supposed to be about 35 mph, it was quite loud, even late at night. Street noise was bad enough to wake both of us up several times.
Again - this is for the motel annex. The main building might be just fine, and I bet rooms in the back are very good. Just be aware of what you are reserving.

Room Tip: For quiet (and maybe more space) get a room in the main building.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank LuvTravelGurl
Reviewed July 7, 2011

My coworker and I were attending a conference being held at a resort on West Okoboji. Since that hotel was full, we had to find someplace else to stay. We have strict travel guidelines which limited our options. The Rodeway Inn in Spencer was the closest hotel that would be within our travel limits. Although I had real concerns after having read the Trip Advisor reviews, we decided to take a chance. I did make reservations about 2 weeks in advance. Although the manager does have a strong accent when she speaks, we had no problems with check-in and found her to be very friendly. I was given a room on the 2nd floor of the main building. I was very pleased and comfortable! The furniture was a little eclectic, but the room was very clean, smelled good and really felt more like a room at home than a hotel. My coworker had a room in the little garage-type annex next to the main building, but he even had a whirlpool tub and loved the room. Although it was vacation season, we were there mid-week, so the hotel was not completely full. It was really very quiet. The bed was very comfortable and had nice linens. I slept like a log and the neighborhood was great for my early morning run the next day. The breakfast choices are not as big as at some hotels, but not as small as others. What I had was fresh and just what I would have had at home...actually a little better. The layout of the hotel is a little unusual with multiple annexes, including one that is across the road. I can't speak for the other areas, but the main building was great and my coworker will vouch for the "garage" building. I would absolutely stay there again, but I'm sure I'd probably try to get that 2nd floor room again. I travel for work 60-70 days per year, mostly within Iowa, so I've stayed at quite a few big hotel chains in larger cities (larger being a relative term...) and even independent hotels in small towns. My experience at the Rodeway Inn rated quite high as far as being enjoyable and relaxing.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank runjorun67
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milford
Inn at Okoboji
Ramada Spirit Lake/Okoboji
#2 of 5 in Spirit Lake
Days Inn Hotel Spencer IA
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Okoboji

Been to Rodeway Inn & Suites near Okoboji Lake? Share your experiences!