“What an Experience”

Rodeway Inn & Suites near Okoboji Lake
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Milford
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Mgr. tried to get into our room while we were sleeping! This was on our second night's stay!

Window AC in our bathroom Made for a very COLD shower!

Paid $124 for this???? No offer for a room rate adjustment after the second night experience!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank unhappyguest37835

Reviewed August 7, 2011

From the minute you step foot in the lobby, you'll know this isn't the place you want to stay. The lobby has an off odor that is hard to pin point the source but it is a smell you won't forget. When checking in, we had an issue with the price of our rooms. When we reserved them the young lady quoted us one thing and we had to pay another. Upon questioning the manager/owner she kept wanting to just show me calculations using a calculator rather than explaining to me the difference in price. Our room smelled like a circus complete with elephants and hay coming directly from the AC unit. The night stand and the window sills were covered in dry dead bugs. We went back down stairs to talk with the manager and she made one excuse after another for the lack of cleanliness, none of which were even logical. The beds were hard and the furnishings were very old. I had reservations about this place going in and they were confirmed upon arrival. If you find yourself in the same situation as me with this hotel as your only option, don't book it.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank tripreview324
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Spirit Lake is a tourist area, so it is hard to find a reasonably priced simple motel for a quick stay. That said, this Rodeway is marginal, at least in the 'annex' across the street from the main 2-story lodge. The annex looks like it was a separate motel at one time, and is pretty shabby. The owners have tried to stuff too much into the tiny, narrow rooms, I suppose to be able to advertise them for a week's stay. Ours had a table and two chairs, a mini-fridge (that we unplugged 'cause it was so darned loud), a tiny microwave, a coffee maker (that could only be used by putting it on the floor in order for the cord to reach an outlet), and an enormous old-fashioned tube TV that made it nearly impossible to pass from the bed to the bathroom.
This motel is on a busy highway, and even though the road speed is only supposed to be about 35 mph, it was quite loud, even late at night. Street noise was bad enough to wake both of us up several times.
Again - this is for the motel annex. The main building might be just fine, and I bet rooms in the back are very good. Just be aware of what you are reserving.

Room Tip: For quiet (and maybe more space) get a room in the main building.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank LuvTravelGurl
Reviewed July 7, 2011

My coworker and I were attending a conference being held at a resort on West Okoboji. Since that hotel was full, we had to find someplace else to stay. We have strict travel guidelines which limited our options. The Rodeway Inn in Spencer was the closest hotel that would be within our travel limits. Although I had real concerns after having read the Trip Advisor reviews, we decided to take a chance. I did make reservations about 2 weeks in advance. Although the manager does have a strong accent when she speaks, we had no problems with check-in and found her to be very friendly. I was given a room on the 2nd floor of the main building. I was very pleased and comfortable! The furniture was a little eclectic, but the room was very clean, smelled good and really felt more like a room at home than a hotel. My coworker had a room in the little garage-type annex next to the main building, but he even had a whirlpool tub and loved the room. Although it was vacation season, we were there mid-week, so the hotel was not completely full. It was really very quiet. The bed was very comfortable and had nice linens. I slept like a log and the neighborhood was great for my early morning run the next day. The breakfast choices are not as big as at some hotels, but not as small as others. What I had was fresh and just what I would have had at home...actually a little better. The layout of the hotel is a little unusual with multiple annexes, including one that is across the road. I can't speak for the other areas, but the main building was great and my coworker will vouch for the "garage" building. I would absolutely stay there again, but I'm sure I'd probably try to get that 2nd floor room again. I travel for work 60-70 days per year, mostly within Iowa, so I've stayed at quite a few big hotel chains in larger cities (larger being a relative term...) and even independent hotels in small towns. My experience at the Rodeway Inn rated quite high as far as being enjoyable and relaxing.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank runjorun67
Reviewed July 4, 2011

This is a unique set up that will require you to ask a few questions at check in. And that may not be easy because there is a horrible language barrier with the owner/manager. The hotel is spread out with the main building being two stories, then there a buildings behind the main building, including one that appears to be a converted garage and then a motor lodge type facility across the street.

Some of the rooms open only onto a very narrow walkway between the door and the indoor pool. The people in our group that stayed in those rooms said that the humidity was stifling. Many of the rooms are very small and others have up to four beds. It has clearly been added on to and built around over the years.

The.location of the property is convenient to Lake Okaboji and Arnolds Park and there are good amenities nearby. The morning breakfast was free and somewhat limited but what they did have a good.

It was clean but overall it is just a strange hotel. I probably wouldn't stay there again but nothing bad really happened other than lots of confusion and difficulty checking in because of the language barrier, if you are just looking for something along the lines of a Red Roof or Super 8 then you will probably be fine there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on 2nd fl. of the main building.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Cheesehead88
Reviewed July 19, 2010

We stayed here for our family reunion, paid $100 a night for a very small outdated room. There was a chair in the room, dark red with animal hair all over it. The room smelt musty, and the furnishing were very old, the light switches were grimy, the bathroom floor was slanted. I think this was a garage that was converted into 3 hotel rooms. Just did not feel clean, the curtain sheers were filthy, the curtain would not even cover the entire window so the street light came in all night. Had the tornado sirens go off and I called the office about taking shelter and they said nothing to worry about. When the local TV station said to take cover I went to the office, we had no power then and the owner took me to a basement where about 10 other guest were at. When a tornado siren goes off the hotel staff should contact every guest about where to take shelter, not blow them off saying it is nothing to worry about. We checked out the breakfast the first morning and decided to go to a restaurant to eat. My sister stayed at the annex across the street and the room was much nicer. I would not recommend this hotel and will not stay here again. The location was great but the room is not worth more than $50 a night. I think all the rooms at this hotel vary so I would ask to see the room before I paid for it. We live out of state and booked online 6 months in advance so was unable to view a room.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joey1973
Reviewed July 18, 2010

After reading all the reviews we were scared to stay here but really had no choice. We were coming to run the marathon and this was the only Hotel within the vacinity. We paid a price I would have and will not ever pay again. I would not pay more then 75.00 a night for this place. THe room overall was nice but very humid and dirty looking. The breakfast overall was a breakfeast. Toast, muffins, doughnut holes, cereal, milk, banana's and apples. Really no complaints here. We went to take the children swimming and wondered why no one else was swimming. Well it appeared there was a few chunks of feces in the pool. Also please be aware ROOM # 118 is right on the pool and your window looking out looks into the pool. If you are looking for a quiet night DO NOT STAY IN THIS ROOM. It has the potential of being very loud.
Overall I would say if it was just me and a friend staying in the room I would have no worries but if you are a family with children stay away......go into oki and pay 10 dollars more for a much more eligant stay and fresh everything....

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Rodeway Inn & Suites near Okoboji Lake? Share your experiences!