“Um...”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Milford
Des Moines, Iowa
“Um...”
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

First of all, for a relatively new hotel this did not meet my expectations. So this hotel is rated as a 2.5 star establishment and I'll have to agree that's about right. It is nicely decorated. That's about it.

Let's see. I'll start with housekeeping. I immediately noticed that the dresser and desk were dusty--these dark furnishings will show it all but it was clear it hadn't had a dusting in probably a week. Clearly there had not been a thorough vacuuming since the last guest. There were plastic scraps and specks of unknown origin on the carpet and not one but TWO fake nails on the floor. What?! A hair not from my head clung to the shower wall. There was no bathmat provided nor hand soap for the sink. In fact, no toiletry items of any kind--they have a pump for lotion by the sink and mounted pumps for shower gel and 2 in 1 shampoo in the shower (less than half full). My parents have these and I think they're just gross. Over time, they will clog and get grimey and mildewy as moisture stagnates in all the air spaces in the pump mechanism. I've never seen one of these in a hotel. What!?

The bedding is comfortable but I have to wonder given other shoddy housekeeping how clean that might be. I'm not that squeamish about hotel rooms--I get it--but I have some minimum expectations. The beds are raised up high. I'm 5'5" and had to raise myself up to get in. I could imagine this could be difficult for older folks with decreased agility/mobility.

I didn't notice excess noise and I was closest to the lobby--it is the off season though.

Vanity mirror totally doesn't have enough light for makeup application.

Breakfast. Yes, the coffee cups are weird and difficult to take as a to go option. There were a whopping four yogurts in the fridge. It was before 7 am.

A hot tub would have been nice but maybe that's for the best given my cleanliness observations.

Staff interactions were positive.

Bottom line, this is a well decorated convenience hotel. That will only take this establishment so far and last so long. Housekeeping, people. C'mon! Had that been acceptable, I could have given four stars.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Abakinzie
Boulders O, General Manager at Boulders Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Abakinzie,

Thank you for your review and feed back for our hotel. We use all hotel reviews as learning tools and to improve our guests stay in every way. We also want to start out by saying we apologize for not meeting the cleanliness standards that we hold so dearly.

In regards to room cleanliness, we do have a check and balance system with our staff and unfortunately this one must have slipped the cracks. Because of your review, we will be able to directly intervene and make sure that experience never happens again.

We like to think that our rooms are unique with our black decor and we are aware of how much it shows.. Again, we will use your review as a learning tool with how to change our check and balance system with all of our guest rooms. Going along with our unique rooms, we do have environmentally friendly shampoo and body wash and lotion dispensers in every room to cut down on the wasting of products. We clean and fill them once they hit a certain point, and again our check was not as thorough. We have had a few guests mention how high our beds can be with the combination of the pillow top mattress, box spring, and our nice wooden accent bed frames. We do offer ADA compliant rooms with lower beds and step stools are available at the front desk if the guest requests them.

As for the breakfast area, we do have the lobby to-go coffee cups with lids available for guest convenience and with our breakfast stock we are always willing to re-supply guests if they take the last of an item.

We want to thank you again for you valued opinion about your stay at Boulders Inn and Suites and hope that you will give us another chance in the future to meet the hospitality and cleanliness standards that we are known for.

Kim Pouykham
Boulders Inn and Suites

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Denison, United States
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Stayed over night prior to an early meeting in the area. Very clean and staff was very friendly and accomodating. Woke up to coffee brewing and a nice breakfast waiting for the guest. Easy travel distance to any where in the area. Quiet and bed was awesome. Enjoyed the stay very much.

Room Tip: No pool at this location - did use the exercise room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Allen Judy T
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed March 12, 2014

This is our second year and the service and hospitality are great. We woud all recomend it to all of our friends. We are coming back this year again. August/Sept. 2014. Our group of eight couples stay every Labor Day weekend and enjoy golf at the area courses which we also highly recomend.

Room Tip: Make your reservation and enjoy. All rooms are great.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Kirk A
Ankeny, Iowa
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Completed a three day/two night stay in the Okoboji area for Winter Games and our Engagement Party. Superior custom service (they graciously accommodated our request to check in early) so we could unpack and get prepared for an event. Staff is very friendly, appreciative of customers and helpful - always remembered us by name and asked if they could help in any way - by the end of the weekend - felt like we were staying with friends.

Rooms decorated very modern, spacious and relaxing ! Beds, pillows, linens clean and comfortable. Every amenity you could ask for was provided.

Great breakfast every morning. The little touches were so nice - beverage service always available in the lobby, hot chocolate/marshmallows & warm chocolate chip cookies at night, just those extras that make it feel like you are staying with family/friends and not in a sterile hotel environment.

Guest rooms have great sound-proofing - it was Winter Games Weekend, where you could expect more noise/commotion than normal, never heard a sound from other rooms or in the hallways. Can't say that for other hotels on a big party weekend.

Highly recommend - everything was exceptional ! We will be back in June and have booked rooms for our wedding party ! Thank you again for helping to make our weekend an enjoyable one !

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Okoboji2014
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I agree that the staff is great and the rooms are clean. However, the last two times I stayed there, the TVs could only access a few channels and none of them were the local networks. CBS, NBC and ABC were not available and although the staff assured me there had been complaints at other times, the issue had not been addressed. I'm greatly disappointed because I stay there at least once a month. No more until I am sure they really did solve the problem.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank MGR2014
Marshalltown, Iowa
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stayed here 2-3 times a month for a year on business. It was always clean, quiet, and very comfortable. The staff was especially helpful and friendly. They often gave me great restaurant suggestions and good tips on the area for an out of towner. It is located very near several restuarants but away from noisy touristy spots. All the furnishings are new and modern; beds are very comfortable. One drawback--very few television channels (also missing several main network channels), but excellent/reliable wifi for watching Netflix or Hulu. I would stay here again on future visits to the area.

Room Tip: Rooms on west side (back of building) don't get as much light from the parking lot.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Megan H
Grove City, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Spent 2 nights just before Christmas at this hotel. The title says it all, nothing really fancy but nicely decorated and modern. Comfortable beds, everything clean and new. Staff very friendly and helpful. NOTE that this hotel has 2 floors but no elevator so if you can't carry your luggage up the steps you should request a ground floor room. They do offer complimentary self serve breakfast similar to a Holiday Inn Express but with a little less in the way of options. That was probably the only disappointment of the stay at this hotel. Our family group had 4 rooms and all were very pleased with the hotel. This area near Lake Okoboji has needed a new hotel for many years. There are too many old, dumpy, expensive places in this area. This one is a breath of fresh air, literally. Will stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DougGroveCity
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milford
Okoboji Commons Hotel
#2 of 5 in Spirit Lake
Rodeway Inn & Suites near Okoboji Lake
Vintage Block Inn & Suites
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Okoboji

Been to Boulders Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!