“Great for Kids - a REal cave in Iowa!”
Review of Spook Cave

Spook Cave
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in McGregor
Clermont
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great for Kids - a REal cave in Iowa!”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Have visied this several times with my shildren and grandchildren. riding in a boat through a real cave wa a very unique experience in NE Iowa. Guides are very informative about the various rock formations found in the cave.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank William A

Northwood, Iowa
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Things you Should Know About Spook Cave Campgrounds”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Just spent three nights at Spook Cave Campgrounds. Several things were disappointing, not deal-breakers but what 21st century campers should know. There is a wi-fi connection indicated as "guest" but the Campground will not allow guests to use it! It's password protected but unsecured and I was told at the store that they will not give out the password because they don't want the public using it since it's the one they use for their credit card transactions. That's worrisome, not only because it is wrongly marked as a "guest" connection but that they are transmitting c.c. information on an unsecured line. There is another, secured line, indicated but that is, apparently, for the owner family. I found this strange. I was told that most people don't use wi-fi anyway because they use their Smart phones. Okay, but the cell phone reception is almost non-existant too; kept going in and out every few seconds with my Droid. Thirdly, there is no television reception to speak of due to the terrain. Not good if it's raining or as hot as it was this week and you spend more time indoors. The lots are spacious and well-maintained but there are very few trash cans anywhere so you have to schlep up near the office or bathrooms to drop off garbage. We will probably not stay there again; we saw what we wanted to visit in McGregor. The cave trip is pretty basic.

2 Thank Foodwriter50459
Paul R, Owner at Spook Cave, responded to this review, July 30, 2015
I personally have spent 17 months building and upgrading our wifi system. We now have 11 access points throughout the grounds. I'm getting speeds of 36 mbps on my desktop, and 10-11 mbps on wireless devices. We routinely have over 100 devices on the system on the weekend. The system is not password protected and seems to be working well. I continue to have discussions with my internet service provider about running fiber optic with unlimited speeds. We are rural (no stop lights in our county) with lots of bluffs and hills and trees which is also a challenge.
Havelock, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Camping at Spook Cave”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

My husband & I spent 10 days at the campground of Spook Cave. The spots were all grass and ours was a bit unlevel and had to use all of our levelers. They were very roomy and groomed nicely. We were along the "cliff" wall when you first come in and we loved it. The wildlife there were awesome as we had 2 red cardinals birds outside our door every morning and evening along with an oriole bird. The campground has lots of things to offer beside the Cave attraction. It was very peaceful even as it was right before the 4th of july as the campground was full the weekend and was still not overly crowded. The tour itself was ok; not really sure if it's worth $10.00 but I guess I've wasted $10 bucks on worse things.. Oh yea, trains go right next to the campground 1 - 4 times a day. We actually liked it as it was cool watching it go by and reminded us of that there is some good old fashion train work still going on in America. We would definiltey go back again.

1 Thank Shari S
Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“A bit hokey, but enjoyable nonetheless”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

To me even if a cave is small (as this one is) it is still always an enjoyable experience. Add in the fact that you do the tour on a boat and it makes it an even more enjoyable and unique tour. Yes, the formations aren't as spectacular as many other caves. Yes, the tour guide could have given more in-depth scientific information. The tour was still a fun time though and the guide was very enthusiastic. If you are near the Prairie du Chien/Dubuque area, I would definitely recommend making a stop here.

1 Thank MapMakinMan
Dubuque, Iowa, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“interesting but canned guide narritive too much”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I realize that taking tourists on a boat ride through a cave is a scrappy summer job, but the hokey narritive coupled with contrived drama was a bit much. Stick with the history and geology and this would be much more enjoyable.

Visited August 2011