“Fantastic setting, fantastic service, fantastic food”
Review of 1910 Grille

1910 Grille
Ranked #1 of 82 Restaurants in Mason City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: This fine dining experience combines the vintage appeal of early Prairie School design with a modern flair for cuisine. Try our formal or informal dining room, or perhaps an evening on the balcony suits your interests? We also have a Wine Room, and, by special arrangement, you and your guests can experience the Chef's Table.
Des Moines, Iowa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic setting, fantastic service, fantastic food”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I, and three dinner companions had dinner here last Saturday night and I enjoyed every aspect of it - and so did my friends. I love an appetizer of calamari and order it often, no matter where I'm at, and it was exceptional at the 1910 Grille. A very light yet sufficient coating of breading on very tender and fresh tasting squid, along with two dipping sauces, both of which were perfection. I selected grilled salmon for my entree, which hit the mark perfectly for doneness, and the accompanying risotto (lemon, tomato, and spinach) was a creamy and delectable success as well. Two of my friends selected the NY strip steak and the other selected the shrimp - all of which were enjoyed immensely. The staff is wonderfully attentive, competent, and helpful. We were allowed to sample two red wines before making our final selection. The space is sophisticated and comfortable and on par with upscale restaurants you would expect to find in much larger cities. If I had to come up with one quibble - and it is not major - we were all a bit surprised (after inquiring) that the stocked cutlery does not include steak knives for those who order a cut of meat. Whether needed or not, my expectation (and my friends concur) is to be provided with an actual steak knife when dining on steak, rather than a dinner knife - it just feels more natural in hand.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank 863Charles

Pella, Iowa
“Excellent Experience, Service and Food”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

What a wonderful diamond in the rough! Our server was Shelley who was outstanding in all aspects - personable, knowledgeable and professional! Our experience was excellent! We ordered an appetizer which let's just say the Pita chips are AWESOME! The Indian bread served with the meal was amazing and my husband couldn't get enough of it! The salads were a meal in themselves and a work of art! My daughter took several pictures of her food to share with friends! The main course served large portions and everyone at our table of 6 got something different and every single plate was completely licked clean! If you find yourself in Mason City, make sure you stop in and treat yourself to 1910 Grille - and while you are there, make sure you take the tour of the Frank Lloyd Wright hotel!

• Visited April 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
“Very Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We have eaten in this restaurant on a number of occasions. The completely restored Frank Lloyd Wright hotel serves as a wonderful setting for a very cosmopolitan restaurant. Yes, in Mason City Iowa. Excellent service combines with delicious food and a friendly vibe for an enjoyable dining experience.

• Visited February 2014
fort dodge
“Disappointing”
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

Edited review: After reading the reviews I made a reservation to this highly rated restaurant. We were seated quickly into the more formal area. The room temperature was cool, not cold, but it should have been more comfortable. The two-person tables are rectangular and you feel you are sitting rather far away from your guest. The place is rather loud inside and it was hard to have a friendly conversation, we were both straining to hear. Service was slow in the beginning, but picked up a bit later. It did take a while for the server to initially make her first visit. She was friendly and knowledgeable.
The crab cake appetizer course was good, but I have eaten better. Missing were larger chunks of crab and the sauce was over-spiced with cayenne pepper. My main course was the 10oz New York strip. It came with sautéed spinach and roasted potatoes. The spinach was cooked properly, but highly over-salted, leaving it inedible and left on the plate. The roasted potatoes were very good and seasoned correctly. The 10 oz strip steak lacked seasoning and I believe, poorly trimmed, there was at least ½ inch, resulting in a large amount of fat remaining on the plate. There was also a chunk of gristle and a rather large sliver of bone left that I unfortunately bit down on. The steak was overcooked, but I was not going to wait for another steak to be made, based on how long I waited for this one. The meat itself, was tender and cut easily, but had a dry texture, not at all juicy. This main course was priced at thirty dollars.
By the end of the main course the service had improved some, but was still lacking. After both of us being disappointed, we decided to skip dessert. Coffee was never refilled and the water was finally refilled after we had paid for our meal.
I had been looking forward to this meal and I was greatly disappointed with the quality and preparation of the food, I expected better.

Visited February 2014
Jack K, Vice President of Corporate Support Services at 1910 Grille, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear john I, This is my first ‘Dear John’ letter, so please bear with me. We are equally disappointed with your experience as you describe it. We believe that your visit was on Valentine’s Day and that the hustle and bustle that evening was extraordinary, in fact the busiest night in our brief history. There were even two marriage proposals on site that evening that were romantic, a little entertaining and very moving. Our Chef is highly educated and greatly skilled in the culinary arts and he cuts all of his own meats to exact specifications. The tenderness of his cuts even results in no need for a steak knife. February evenings can be very chilly and I remind you, with pride, that complete temperature control in a 102 year old building occasionally can be challenging. Every guest’s personal tastes vary, of course, so one person’s salty spinach may be another person’s version of perfection. We are proud of the 91% of reviewers who have rated us excellent and the 97% who rate us either very good or excellent. We stand by that and note that your experience was certainly both in the minority and accompanied by extenuating circumstances. Finally, I’d like to thank you for the very nice review you posted on the Historic Park Inn, in which the 1910 Grille’ is located.
Cambridge, Ontario
“Wonderful Valentine's treat!”
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel and managed to get a reservation even though it was Valentine's day. We had the lobster risotto and chicken Marsala. Both were amazing! The service was impeccable and we had a great time with the patrons! Wonderful experience!

1 Thank Tombow