“This is now my 2nd home”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mason City
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Mason City
Reviewed May 11, 2009

I have tried the rest, I am now staying at the best. Nice, clean, newer, spacious hotel. Friendly staff. They have a real can-do attitude. Made me feel at home. Great breakfast. Clean, larger pool and jacuzze. Good fitness room. Well maintained. Quiet. I love this place. Hi-speed wireless worked well, is available thorought the hotel. There is a business center with printer.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank MrFC

Reviewed April 16, 2009

I searched a long time before making a reservation somewhere--not a lot of great options in Mason City--and am really glad this is where we chose to stay. The hotel smelled a little musty upon entering, but we arrived really late and were greeted by really friendly staff. The room was spacious and clean and the wireless internet definitely a plus. Hotel appears to be located on the newer side of town, so decent shopping was right across the street. Nice and quiet and breakfast was great.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank debnus
Reviewed March 22, 2008

We were driving late at night (11:30) when we found this hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our 2 queen room was exceptionally clean and had free high-speed wireless internet.

There is also an indoor heated swimming pool, and fitness center.

In the morning, before leaving, our family indulged in the free deluxe continental breakfast. This breakfast was amazing! There were plenty of choices for everyone to choose from including fresh made waffles, bagels, breads, muffins, hot and cold cereals, biscuits and gravy, fresh fruit, yogurt and a variety of drinks.

We will definitely stop again if we are in the area.

This is a no smoking hotel.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank TerriAnn3
Reviewed December 31, 2007

We stayed at the CI&S for two nights on business. From what we heard from colleagues it is supposedly the best place in town. Since much of Mason City is on or around Rte 122, the hotel is pretty conveniently located to many things. In fact, 122 is a long stretch of big box stores and fast food joints.

The Inn was teaming with children and families. On a Saturday morning the breakfast room was more like a nursery, but we were there during the holidays....

The lobby is inviting and cozy, although it kinda smells like chlorine from the pool. If you don't have a computer, there's one there for you to use. The staff is very nice and check-out was very easy. The room was quite big, but we're used to staying in big cities with small hotel rooms (ie, NYC), so I guess it's to be expected. It was also very clean. The bed was really uncomfortable with crummy pillows, an old mattress, and lousy foam style blankets. Fortunately the heater worked really well on those cold Northern Iowa nights!

The wifi connection did not work well for my friend, though I got on with no problems. I wouldn't classify it as fast.

We didn't eat breakfast there, though we did stop by the breakfast room and noted the abundance of wee ones. There's a pretty cool coffee shop across 122 near Kohl's, but it's not open on Sunday. There's also a wonderful joint in Mason City itself called Borealis if you're so inclined.

If you have to stay in Mason City, you could do worse.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank lynnlovestennis
Reviewed September 17, 2007

The Country Inn is probably the best local hotel in Mason City - clean, modern, spacious and located in a quiet, semi-rural area on the southern outskirts of the city. It's expensive for a small-town hotel ($281 for a 3-night stay with tax) - about the max the market will bear. Free internet is a plus, but it choked on a two-way video connection to my office on Skype and shut down my connection for 15 minutes as punishment. Most users won't have a problem. The free breakfast is above average, though with very few options if you're on a low-carb regimen. That said, there are a couple of things to watch out for. I stayed on the second floor, and like most modern budget hotels, the Country Inn has pretty flimsy flooring, so my first two nights were interrupted by outbursts of "bambambamTHUDbam" and so on as the family of hyperactive hippopotami upstairs ran around until near midnight, and then from 6 a.m. onwards. So, if you're sensitive to such things, stay on the third floor. The other reservation is the location. It's quiet, but the hotel has no restaurant for lunch or dinner. The first sit-down restaurant of any quality (a chain Mexican place) is over half a mile away, so if you like walking quite long distances for a quick meal, in Mason City weather (which can be good, but don't count on it), this is your place. If not, my advice would be to consider the Holiday Inn, which is more centrally located and has a nice bar and restaurant (I visited the restaurant and was pleasantly surprised, but I haven't stayed there yet, and the prices will be comparable to the Country Inn).

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank SoItinerant
Reviewed June 16, 2007

We stayed here three nights on a business trip. At check in I signed a form saying if I smoke in our non-smoking room a $250 fee would be applied to my credit card. We were suprised when we went to our non-smoking room and it reaked of smoke. We went back to the front desk and the girl there offered us another room She was not very friendly about it. The second room we were given was 107. This room had a mustly smell like mold or mildew, but it wasn't as strong as the smoke in the other room. We didn't want to move again and were starting to figure that all the rooms must have some smell. So we stayed.

Outside of the smell the room was good. It was clean and large and modern. There were lots of outlets and the high speed internet worked great. The breakfast was good with waffles, yogurts, bisucits and gravy, fruits, bagels, and cereals. I locked us out of the room and the manager their during the day was much more friendly than the girl there the previous night.

We used the pool and hot tub several times. It was clean and usually had very few guests using it.

For our trip back we borrowed a book through there book loan program. The way it works is that there is book shelf stocked w/ books. You select the book you want and take it for free. If you don't finish it, you can return it to any Country Inn and Suites. This was a great program and our trip back home was much more pleasant due to our free reading material.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank stray_chicken
Reviewed May 9, 2007

Stayed here many times and always pleased. I think this hotel has improved in quality and cleanliness. Breakfast is very good with many choices and good quality food and a great room for breakfast. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Hotel is clean well maintained. Location is excellent, on the edge of Mason City near shopping and dining. Very pleased with my stay here.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
Best Western Holiday Lodge
Best Western Holiday Lodge
#2 of 8 in Clear Lake
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Clear Lake

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mason City? Share your experiences!