“Not the caliber the name implies...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mason City

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mason City
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Mason City
Buffalo, New York
“Not the caliber the name implies...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Booked on the fly into Mason City on business for one night. The Park Inn was booked or I'd have stayed there. Located among the city's urban sprawl with views of Walmart and fast food, my wake up call was a large black bug on my pillow. The building is poorly constructed, thin walls, tired furnishings, and not worth $105 a night. Have stayed in other Country Inn and Suites that easily meet a higher star quality, so this one was a huge let down.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
GMMASONCITY, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mason City, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are in the process of upgrading our hotel rooms and common areas to the new generation of Country Inn furniture, carpet and paint. Unfortunately, it will be a long process that will be done in phases as the furniture is available. Yes, we are in the "urban" area with easy access to two major highways and the rest of Mason City. We are across the street from a shopping area and a restaurant but there is no noise or sight lines for that area.
In the event that an issue does arrive concerning pests or any other issue, please advise the front desk so we are aware and can remedy the issue. Thank you for staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

I'm going to review this hotel in a format which highlights the small "extras" which made our stay a bit more memorable than the typical hotel with a similar value. UNIQUE AMENITIES TO THIS HOTEL - Coffee available all day/night, coffee and tea available in the room, high pressure shower head (!), continental breakfast included a nice variety of warm food (i.e. oatmeal, waffles, biscuits and gravy, eggs) and fruit (!). TYPICAL AMENITIES - Clean room, elevator, flat screen TV, large counter space in bathroom, refrigerator, microwave, comfortable bed/linens, air/heat appliance in working condition, no smell. PITFALLS - two manually operated doors (no automatic doors) leading into hotel within a few steps of each other made pulling my luggage into the hotel difficult, manager was asked a security question by a young staff member and in my opinion, answered the staff member's question in an exaggerated, patronizing tone while in front of customers; I didn't find that necessary. The young staff member was very helpful though and I appreciated her effort to find the answer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GMMASONCITY, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mason City, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for your thoughtful response. I always appreciate comments about my hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and comments about the extras. I agree with you that the comment made by the manager was inappropriate and will speak to all the managers about your concern.
Minneapolis, MN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

My second time staying in a Country Inns & Suites and wasn't as happy with this one. It seems the suite they put us in was one they had neglected for quite a while, seeing as how some of the wallpaper trim was peeling, the pull-out sofa bed was lopsided and they didn't change the toilet paper to a new roll. They also didn't seem to account for four adults staying in one suite because there was a largely obnoxious coffee table in front of the sofa that we had to move.
Other than the hotel always running out of coffee and failing to stay ahead of it, as well as frozen fruit and warm food for breakfast, it was alright.

All we needed was a basic hotel that wasn't too far from the Clear Lake pirate festival we had to vend at anyway.
You can't beat having a heck of a lot of restaurants near by though!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
      Cleanliness
I apologize that the room did not meet your expectations. We pride ourselves in our cleanliness, condition of the property and guest services. We use all comments to improve the hotel and hopefully you stay with us the next time you are in the area.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

My family and I stayed here overnight through our travels and had a very good night of rest.
Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful, though the hotel itself shows some signs of age.
The blower in the bathroom was not working, and the water from the shower head not
coming off as strong as it should. Hot breakfast was good, with a generous variety;
price for night of stay was OK. Overall, a decent hotel and stay.

Room Tip: If you would like a good night of sleep, mention it to the hotel receptionist when you book -- we w...
Waterloo, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is a nice, clean, up-to-date hotel. The staff is friendly and there are always cookies and coffee at the front desk! I have not had the continental breakfast and therefore cannot comment on it. The price is very reasonable - my king suite was only $111/night (negotiated rate). I will definitely stay here when I visit Mason City again next summer!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMMASONCITY, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mason City, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for your review on your recent stay. We appreciate all comments and I will pass your comments on to the staff. We hope to see you on your next visit to Mason City.
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

I really like Country Inn and Suites as a chain, and I had a nice stay at this one in Mason City. Clean, quiet, spacious king bed room. I slept comfortably and have no complaints. I've stayed at this hotel twice in the past couple years, and I will likely stay here again next time I travel through.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
GMMASONCITY, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mason City, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again as your travels bring you our way.
Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Our daughter booked two nights here, two rooms over the 4th of July weekend. Very nice place. Friendly and courteous staff. Free breakfast was awesome. Different items on the breakfast offering each morning. I'd definitley stay here again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
GMMASONCITY, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mason City, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. I will advise the staff of your comments and we hope to see you and your family on your next trip to our area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mason City
#2 of 8 in Clear Lake
Super 8 Clear Lake
Super 8 Clear Lake
#5 of 8 in Clear Lake

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mason City? Share your experiences!