“Outstanding”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Went last weekend with son and his wife as he loves scallops. They have superb seafood. I had the butter fish and excellent! Never had bad meal lunch or dinner. When we have company people or special events we go to The Quary!

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Our service at The Quarry for lunch on Jan 6 was absolutely awful. It was not that busy. Our server was attending to about 6 other tables. None-the-less, she managed to forget one drink entirely. She was rude in serving plates to the table (direct quote: "Now who got what? I don't know what that is [referring to one of the entrees]. I haven't looked at it yet"). One of the entrees (a crab cake sandwich) arrived stone cold. She neither apologized nor did she try to make it "right". At the end of our lunch, the restaurant's owner (who was actually IN the restaurant and never troubled to come over to correct what was clearly a problem with a returned-to-the-kitchen-uneaten entree) did attempt to financially compensate for the crab cake sandwich when we pointed out that that was the right thing to do. While I don't generally believe it is effective to tip less when service is poor, we were not given a choice at The Quarry. The gratuity was automatically included for our party of 7. It is unfortunate when service is that poor. It reflects so poorly on the restaurant. Our meal was ruined but, fortunately, we were able to laugh about it later as we all reflected on how bad service really demonstrates the importance of good, attentive, meaningful service.

1  Thank epbee2017
Reviewed January 2, 2014

When I visit Mason City I make it a point to eat dinner at the Quarry. I have yet to have a bad meal. Service is always very good. We went on New Year's Eve and had an exceptionaly good meal. My prime rib was cooked perfectly. My friend had a delicious rib-eye. Add a generously poured glass of red wine and that made for a perfect end of the year.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

You have to try the wings! Plenty of vegetarian options, my girlfriends fasts a few days a week where she only eats vegetarian, so this place had good options for both of us. We had a little bit too much to drink on occasions but that was okay because we were able to walk back to our hotel (Quality Inn & Suites), only a few blocks away.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

A cooler evening so we ate inside for our Saturday evening meal as part of a family reunion. The wait staff were superb, could not have been more attentive and light-hearted. There were 8 in our party and each felt his/her meal was excellent. I had the salmon with asparagus and garlic-mashed potatoes/salad. We shared avocado fries as an appetizer - unique and quite well received as well as a pita chips (warmed - I don't even like pita chips and loved these) with goat cheese/spices.

We passed around two desserts to share - the peanut butter choc chip cheesecake (I don't even remember exactly - but everyone loved it - that I DO recall)

We have a family member who says this is his favorite non-chain restaurant in all of Iowa - he happens to travel a lot and loves his red meat. None of us are huge carnivores, but we all found our meals to be delicious - something for everyone. Great salads, too!