This is an extraordinary facility in many ways and its rescue and ultimate restoration is a wonderful gift from the many contributors in Mason City (and elsewhere) who supported this project to present visitors and future generations. The alternative - demolition and destruction - is unimaginable, although such things have happened elsewhere. The original number of rooms (+40) has been reduced to 20+ to include private baths in each room, so this is definitely not a "cattle-call" hotel. The public areas are, as would be expected in a FLW building, quite unique including a basement which has been repurposed for a bar and social area. The former bank which is part of the overall FLW-designed complex and attached to the hotel has also been repurposed to accommodate events which, according to the hotel staff we spoke to, keeps the room well-booked. There are several other interesting attractions in Mason City which make a visit worthwhile, including the FLW-designed Stockman House (also rescued and renovated) and the Meredith Wilson (the musical "Music Man") home and stage sets from the musical. For rock n' roll buffs, the Surf Ballroom is nearby in Clear Lake, Iowa a 30 min. drive from the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Historic Park Inn Hotel, together with City National Bank, of Mason City Iowa were designed by American architect Frank Lloyd Wright as a dual purpose building and completed in 1910. The design greatly influenced architecture in Europe and is as striking today as it ever was. The Park Inn Hotel is the last Wright designed hotel in the world, and has undergone a nearly 20 million renovation; the restoration of the distinctive brick and terra-cotta façade as well as art glass windows has restored the Prairie School building to a functional hotel. The interior, while renovated into a contemporary hotel, has public areas and guest rooms restored as closely to Wright's design as possible. Art glass and much else designed by Wright remains. Public area furnishings are period-style and include reproduction Robie House Lights, reproductions of the Mercury statues Richard Bock and Wright designed for the bank, and reproductions of the barrel chairs Wright designed for the bank directors' room. We invite you to come and stay with us in the center of the many area attractions Mason City has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz so you can book your Historic Park Inn Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Historic Park Hotel Mason City
- Historic Park Inn Hotel Mason City, Iowa