“Basic Stay - $1.50 Safe Charge?”

Baymont Inn & Suites Marshalltown
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Marshalltown
Guy_From_Normal
“Basic Stay - $1.50 Safe Charge?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2008

We just spent one night at this hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful during the check in. After a few minutes of entering our room we found used towels in the bathroom. Also, a dog was barking consistently in the room next door (even though someone was in the room with the dog). We called the front desk and they moved us into a different room. After checking into the second room, housekeeping stopped by and told us they needed to change the sheets, since someone who stayed here last night left early. I think housekeeping and the front desk need better communication to eliminate these problems. We knew several people that also stayed at the hotel that weekend and were not aware of any other problems like this.
It was a standard motel. We had a two double bed room. The mattress was very hard. The breakfast did not have a huge selection of food, but was ample. Some extras included a waffle maker and several different flavors of coffee. The hotel also had an indoor pool, but we did not use it.
During checkout, we noticed the hotel added a charge $1.50 charge to our room for a safe. I was really surprised that this was not included in the room rate. The clerk indicated it was in the fine print on the hotel agreement, but the charge could be removed. I've stayed at a different hotel in Marshalltown that added this same charge. In my opinion, this a deceiving way to get a few extra dollars for each room. Watch your hotel bills in Marshalltown.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Coordination with housekeeping
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank Guy_From_Normal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
U.S.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2008

Watch out. I was a disastified customer who checked out after 2 hours. Even more scary, I had to pay the full price and the hotel was empty! I left because the staff harrassed me and my 3 daughters and gave my wife evil stares! They confused us with another women who appearantly had made arrangements for a pool party. I called AmericInn head quarters to lodge a complaint and they pretty much refer the case to the franchised AmericInn that treated you poorly.

Anyhow, I think the staff should be trained to ask questions and politely explain themselves. In the end - I saw an email from the corporate franchiser and the good people at AmericInn took my money and cashed it and called me a liar. What's more interesting - they never returned my calls or spoke to me - just sent a email.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed August 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank nohotel

Travelers are raving about these Marshalltown hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2005

I have heard a number of stories about this motel raising prices after confirmations were given, setting higher prices for multiple room bookings, saying a smoking room was a non-smoking room, but now it has happened to my family. My daughter and her husband were to celebrate their anniversary. The room was booked. When my daughter arrived, no record could be found of the room. Eventually it was discovered, as if she had checked in at 7 a.m. that morning. Then, because it was a special day, she asked if she could leave an envelope for her husband at the front desk. It had his name on it. Ehen her husband arrived, the envelope had disappeared. The manager was full of excuses. There was one excellent employee--Barb--but just one. We won't stay at this place ever again.

• Stayed May 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
americinnliz, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Marshalltown, responded to this review, August 6, 2010
I apologize for the experience you had while visiting our hotel, It is our goal to have each guest leave our location feeling nothing but positive about their stay. Since your stay, we have a new General Manger and have also done many upgrades to our hotel to make your lodging experience a good one. I do hope that you will try us again in the future and allow us to change your opinion. Thank you.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2003

We had a great time with our family in this hotel. Huge fireplace in lobby with games for kids - staff was really friendly and the pool made us feel like we were in the rocky mountains because of it's lodge feel.
The rooms were large and clean. We had a great time and recommend it to other families too.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marshalltown
Hampton Inn & Suites Marshalltown
Motel 6 Marshalltown
Motel 6 Marshalltown
#8 of 11 in Marshalltown
Designer Inn and Suites

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Marshalltown? Share your experiences!