“Not perfect”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Marshalltown
Burlington, IA
“Not perfect”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I reserved a room a couple weeks in advance (by calling the motel directly) and neglected to ask for a handicapped room. I then called a few days in advance to request a handicapped room and was told one was available. The reservation was read back to me by the gentleman on the phone. When we got to the hotel ( in mid afternoon) there was not a handicapped room for us. The desk clerk was very nice and apologetic and "upgraded" us to a room with a jacuzzi. My disabled partner was nicer about this than I was, but really, what good is a jacuzzi if one is disabled? He was still stuck basically taking sponge baths. The room was nice, the staff was pleasant, the breakfast good, but when I reserve a room directly though the inn where I am staying, I expect it to be right and I expect any "upgrade" to still meet my needs. This is our 2nd stay in Marshalltown and as there may be more I will probaly explore other options before I return to this motel. I would have given a much better review if the room I reserved had actually been given to us!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We were there for the race in Newton Iowa and the Americinn Marshalltown was a great host to us. We stayed last year also, i am sure we will stay next year also...
Freindly staff clean and comfortable property. Thank you. R

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
West Covina, CA
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We travel to central Iowa frequently and this is where we stay. The hotel is beautifully maintained. Beds are comfortable. We love the in-room jacuzzi. Breakfast is delicious with a wide variety to choose from. Two local newspapers are available each morning. We've stayed here so often we are greeted with hugs from long-time staff members who make us feel like we're family! If you're looking for a great place to stay in Marshalltown, this is the place!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Arizona
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Almost all glowing reviews precede this one, but except for two earlier this year, all are from two or more years ago. This was a our third visit; the first was during the opening year in 1999, a second in 2009 and the third in June/July 20011. We saw a marked decline since 2009. The furnishings, carpeting and fixtures need to be updated sinvce they are almost 12 years old and very worn. Our room door did not close completely unless you slammed it hard; our key cards took several times to open the door every time and we had to have them replaced at the desk twice. The air conditioning was so loud it sounded as those a plane was landing. Our bath fan did not work and when we reported it, the staff member said that they knew it was broken, in fact all the bath fans were broken on that side of the building. The laundry room appliances were dirty. In the breakfast dining area, the waste can was incredibly dirty and looked as though it was never cleaned, the tile floor was sticky 24/7 and the sink's faucet was broken. However, the housekeeping staff was great, except for the day all our towels were taken and the room wasn't cleaned. The front desk staff was also very helpful. Because of them, I hesitated to write this review, but TripAdvisor readers should know the reality of what they will experience now, and not what they would have experienced in the past.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Bettendorf, Iowa
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Let me just say we WILL NEVER stay here again! My family booked a block of hotel rooms for our family reunion. We stayed from June 30th to July 5th, and almost every member of my family had a problem with their room, bill, air conditioning, or in many instances, all of the above.

First of all don't check in with your DEBIT CARD, they will tell you it won't be swiped until you check out, wrong! My card immediately had a $395 hold on it. I am familiar with holds, but I've never stayed anywhere that didn't give you a heads up! When I complained they pointed to a sign that said "We Strongly Discourage the Use of Debit Cards." God forbid they disclose how much they're holding your card for, because I would have gone elsewhere.

2nd, I moved rooms 4 times, the first two times our Air Conditioner quit on us, the other 2 moves were because the rooms the moved us into were needed for another customer. My father had his air conditioner quit working in his room, which was a big deal because he was in the only available handicapped accessible room, so he had to risk falling in his new room w/ no accessible shower. Then when they moved him back to the handicapped room they tried to blame he and my mom because the "compressor was frozen," which it wasn't, and even if it had been how is it their fault? My sister's room had smoking outlets, yes smoke was literally coming out of their electrical outlets, the hotel's response, "our maintenance guy is out of town, just don't use those plugs."
The only saving grace was a decent breakfast, and one friendly staff member, a gal with glasses and long hair, she was the only one who was kind and understanding in response to our concerns. I couldn't say the same for the Manager and Asst Manager. We had to fight like hell to get our bill down, and they eventually conceded, but we will NEVER return to Americinn. The first 2 family renunions we stayed at Americinn were great, but its gone down hill fast since October of 2009!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Marshalltown hotels

Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 2, 2011

GM Liz bent over backwards to make this a pleasant stay for us, from the moment I first called on the phone to make a reservation. She graciously accommodated our need for an early check-in. The whole hotel is spotless - my room was very clean, comfortable, and included HDTV and a recliner. Breakfast in the morning is very good also. I am not sure my travels will take me back to Marshalltown anytime soon, but if so I would be sure to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank PilotEricB
americinnliz, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Marshalltown, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Thank you for the review. It was our pleasure to accomodate you both. The next time you fly into Marshalltown it would be an honor to serve you again.
Portage, Indiana
Reviewed December 19, 2010

Although there are not too many places to stay in Marshalltown, the AmericInn is my new favorite. I used to stay at the Best western, but it never seemed clean and the people were never too friendly. This last visit to Marshalltown prompted me to stay at the AmericanInn and what a pleasant surprise! A very clean motel, friendly people, small but very cozy lobby and very comfortable beds! If you need to travel to Marshalltown and need somewhere to stay, get a room here!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
americinnliz, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Marshalltown, responded to this review, December 20, 2010
Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate the time you took to compliment our hotel. I am very proud of both my housekeeping and front desk staff. We are glad you tried us on your last visit to Marshalltown and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marshalltown
Hampton Inn & Suites Marshalltown
Motel 6 Marshalltown
Motel 6 Marshalltown
#8 of 11 in Marshalltown
Designer Inn and Suites

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Marshalltown? Share your experiences!