“Excellent accommodation in a small city”

Hampton Inn & Suites Marshalltown
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Marshalltown
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I found this Hampton through the Hilton Honors website. It was a reliable Hampton Inn in a place that was otherwise a hotel wasteland. It is close to a number of chain restaurants. The only warning is that the hotel, while easy to see from the highway, has no highway sign indicating which exit to use. Then when you get off the highway, there are no signs on how to take the numerous turns needed to get to the hotel--which you can easily see. I actually asked the front desk clerk why and he said the property owner nearby would not sell or lease land for a sign. OMG.

Very clean, very quiet and excellent breakfast. Indoor pool was larger than usual, too, so families with kids would find this a welcome place.

Room Tip: Choose a room that does not face the highway.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Liz W, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Marshalltown, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Thank you for your recent stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites of Marshalltown and for taking the time to fill out this review. I am very pleased that you were happy with your stay. It is our goal to receive responses like yours. It was our pleasure to accomodate you. Have a great day and Happy New Year!

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Marshalltown

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Been to the Marshalltown area several times, but this was the first time to stay at the Hampton. Rooms are nice and spacious, reception friendly, they have a little store where you can buy some necessary items, a clean and operation (small) fitness center, and a decent breakfast with fruits, yoghurt etc. Comparing that to most other places I stayed at these are all major improvements, so very happy. Is it a top hotel - no, but everything is there and in the right place. The only thing they should definitely improve is the signposting to actually get to the entrance, especially in the dark.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Liz W, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Marshalltown, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Thank you for your recent stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites of Marshalltown and for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us. I am very pleased that you were happy with your stay. It is our goal to receive reviews like yours. We look forward to the opportunity of accommodating you during your next visit to Marshalltown.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Stayed here for 8 nights. The beds were wonderfully comfortable. Bathrooms were large and up to date. There is no refrigerator or microwave though. Also, housekeeping was lazy. Twice during our stay they never did the room, no clean towels or anything. Once they emptied the trash but left the bag of trash in the room on the floor. The sheets were never changed, and we stayed 8 nights. It's so humid there that I think the sheets should be changed at least once a week. The rest of the staff was wonderful and breakfast was great! Had housekeeping done their job our stay would have been perfect...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

I appreciate the time you spent completing this review of our property. Thank you. Your valuable comments help provide us with the feedback needed to continue improving our service to you. I apologize that our housekeeping department did not meet your expectations. That is not typical of our property. I have shared your comments with our Executive Housekeeper. Together, she and I will work together to assure this does not happen again, We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

New, clean, very nice! Staff helped us with an early check-in which was greatly appreciated!

• Stayed: June 2012
Liz W, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Marshalltown, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience while staying in Marshalltown. Our staff takes great pride in delivering the best in customer service. I'm pleased that you were happy with your stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

I have stayed at this Hampton twice when visiting Marshalltown, and have always had a great experience. This time was different; the room I reserved was no available. If the room is in the system when making the reservation, it should be blocked off and not given away.

The room was clean, and up to Hampton standards like always. The drain the shower/tube was a little slow in draining the water when taking a shower. Might have a small clog or something. The breakfast was good and had a good selection of food.

We are planning a trip for Oct and plan on staying at this Hampton again, and hope the room we reserve will be what we get.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Liz W, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Marshalltown, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

I appreciate you taking the time to complete this review of our hotel. We strive to give you the best possible experience when you stay with us and your opinion really matters. I apologize for the confusion that occurred with your room type. I would like the opportunity to make it up to you when you return in October. When you are ready to make your reservation, please call and ask for me personally. If a suite is available, I will upgrade you at no additional charge. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed April 15, 2012

We stayed at this property this past weekend and found the rooms spacious, clean and comfortable. The hotel staff offered great customer service, especially Deb at the front desk. The breakfast was very good, nice selection and presented well.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Over40andoutforfun
Liz W, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Marshalltown, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2012

Thank you for your kind review. I am very proud of our beautiful hotel and even more proud of the great staff we have here to serve you throughout your stay. I appreciate your acknowledgement of Deb’s customer service skills and have passed your review on to her. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed March 3, 2012

Misunderstandings happen I get that but this b level hotel overbooked a busy weekend and then in a desperate attempt to make up rushed and accidentally cancelled a room. Pregnant lady and three kids that drove five hours for a state swim meet left in lobby to rot even though the people they gave her room to had not showed up yet. Probably the worst show of. Customer service I had ever witnessed. We gave up our room and drove back home three hours and missed day two of the meet for this young family please don't ever give this place ur business. If u have questions regarding the event email me but don't let them spin it. They screwed everybody but them claylincoln@hotmail.com

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Hamptonhosedme
goodhsi_admin1, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Marshalltown, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2012

Dear guest,

I’m Liz, General Manager at the hotel. My apologies for the inconvenience and misunderstanding. I deeply regret that you had a poor experience and that our offer to assist you was not to your satisfaction. It was never our intention to upset any part of your travels nor is this a norm for the hotel and staff. Thank you for the feedback in order to allow us to improve.

Liz Wilke

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marshalltown
Comfort Inn Marshalltown
Tremont Inn On Main
#2 of 11 in Marshalltown
Boulders Inn & Suites Newton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grinnell

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Marshalltown? Share your experiences!