“Basic, Great Price, Great Value”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Marion/Cedar Rapids
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marion
Canada
“Basic, Great Price, Great Value”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Very reasonably priced. Basic room but clean and all you need. Breakfast is minimal but to have breakfast after paying this price, it's a bonus. Friendly staff.
No restaurants within walking distance.
If you are looking for basic comfort, comfortable bed, clean room and a breakfast to get you going, stay here.
It's all you need.

• Stayed June 2012
, Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Marion/Cedar Rapids, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for the nice review. We hope to see you again sometime soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I just finished up a week-long stay here, and first of all, yes, I probably will come back. While the location compared to my trade show was a bit farther than what I like, everything else about the location worked for me.

The room was one of the smallest I've been into, but everything worked as it was supposed to.

The people that work here were excellent, I have NO issues with anyone on duty at all. Very friendly people, I have to say.

The ice machine was easy to get to, and worked just fine. No annoying signs on it either. Yay!

There are two things that kept this from being a five star in my book... one, the internet had "issues". It would constantly just "stop working"... for several minutes at a time, then start up again. And I had to sign in at LEAST four times a day. That got annoying very quickly.

The second thing is more of a "personal annoyance" issue. For those 2A people among us, there was a non-compliant "No Weapons Allowed" sign on the door. Under Iowa law, this sign has NO legal bearing whatsoever, so this is just a heads up for you.

Overall location (except for my work) was good, as there is a LOT of stuff within a few blocks of the hotel, including a Wally World with the cheapest gas prices I have seen in awhile.

Just FYI, this facility does have an elevator.

Overall, next time I need to be in CR for a week's time, I'll probably book this place again. Especially if that non-compliant sign comes down! :)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Marion/Cedar Rapids, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Dear Guest,

An unattended computer will be logged out every 4 hours to maximize available bandwidth for other guests. This allows guests to watch streaming video without constant buffering.

We hope you find the time to visit us in the future!!

Thanks,

Casey Berrier
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I stayed in one of the renovated rooms and had a very good night. It was quiet and clean and I slept well. The rooms are not large but everything in my room was new and clean. Like other value hotels they do not provide toiletries or hair dryers. I definitely recommend this motel.

• Stayed March 2012
MarionMicrotel, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Marion/Cedar Rapids, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, the staff at Microtel in Marion are at your service!
We are glad you had a comfortable stay with us and we welcome you back the next time you are in the area! And please, tell your friends / family about us! We would like to meet them too!

Microtel in Marion
Manson Iowa USA
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Horrible - I can understand being outdated but filthy is something else. I took photos with my cell phone to document everything. Holes in the carpet 3-4 inches around, mold growing above the window in the bedroom, mold under the curling wallpaper, rust and grime on the doorways, the security lock was broken on the door, microwave had a gash in the door, stains on the linens, and the vent for the heat/air....OMG hadn't been cleaned in years! I'm a nurse - state inspectors would shut us down if our facility was like this! It was cheap...but I would rather pay $50 more to stay in a place where I felt like I could actually shower.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IowaRN84
MarionMicrotel, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Marion/Cedar Rapids, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

I apologize that your stay was anything but enjoyable, I am the new General Manager of Microtel Marion effective 3/12/12. I understand the concerns you had during your stay. I would really like to speak with you to inform you of the major improvements I have accomplished with this hotel. I am happy to tell you that though we are not perfect, you can be rest assured that your room will be squeaky clean and our customer service is top notch!

Travelers are raving about these Marion hotels

Milwaukee
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I've stayed in other Microtel franchise locations before - and this was by far the worst one to date. The interior of the room was in desperate need of remodel, with its peeling and stained wallpaper, outdated bedspreads, cobwebs, and beat up chair (the chair literally gave me a sliver!). Ironically, the bathroom was in very nice shape and much cleaner than the rest of the room - I can't figure that one out.?.? The toilet, though, liked to flush down everything BUT toilet paper. I made mention of it to the housekeeper and she said she would tell maintenance - they never showed up...

The continental breakfast is a pre-packaged lover's dream. Muffins in plastic bags, pre-packed bagels, tiny pre-filled cereal bowls, etc. Granted they were Otis Spunkmeyer brand bakery, and probably tasted the same as other non-bagged varieties, but it gave a cheap look to the spread.

The thing that really caught me off guard is that they required me to leave a cash deposit because I payed with cash. They even had my credit card on file from the reservation - but insisted that I leave a cash deposit equal to the entire bill for the room! I was lucky to have had it on me, because I was never told of this when I made the reservation. I have never had this happen at any Wyndham affiliated hotel in the past - so it caught me off guard.

(I travel all over the country with my job, and I contribute on EVERY hotel I stay in. Trip Advisor has been a great tool for me, and I contribute fairly, for both good and bad facilities.)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank FunnyFisher
Dear Guest,

I apologize for any complaints you may have had in the past.
If your card was on file and we still required a cash payment, it would be because your card declined its authorization. We have a great variety of breakfast items. We just expanded our breakfast to include fresh fruit, and 3 types of yogurt. Due to strict county health department regulations, our property is only allowed to serve pre-packaged items since we are not equipped with a kitchen. Most Microtels do not have a kitchen and some Microtels may have breakfast food that is not pre-packaged. However, Health Department regulations vary greatly by state.
Canton
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We stayed in a Microtel Hotel in Springfield, Illinois for a weekend in the same dorm-type room we had here. The things provided there and not here are: shampoo, coffee maker, Ironing board & iron. Our room itself was clean, but run down (They had already renovated the third floor, but not ours,,,it also cost $10 more a night to stay there) The smoking rooms were on the same floor as non-smoking, so when you got off the elevator, the hallway reeked of cigarettes. We stayed in a room at the end of the hallway and the street noise was annoying + neighboring rooms were loud.DO NOT STAY HERE! We came here for my husband's fathers funeral

Room Tip: Look at your room before purchasing it
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Cave Creek, Arizona
Reviewed July 27, 2011

It's interesting that this place had good reviews for a while, then awful reviews, and now we're back to good reviews. Change of management perhaps?

Regardless, our stay was excellent. My son and I were on a road trip so only needed a hotel to sleep in. I picked the Microtel for two reasons: 1) I knew they were relatively inexpensive; 2) it was late and it looked like the last hotel I was going to see for a while.

I expected the usual econo-box style room but when I checked in the clerk, who was extremely nice and patient with the tired folks in line, put me into a third floor room. A renovation had recently been completed on that floor and wow, it was great. I've stayed in hotels costing four times as much and this room was every bit as nice.

Too often a hotel brags about having flat-screen TVs and then you find they're the size of a computer monitor and you can't see them from the bed. This room had a flat-screen TV that was big enough to see from the bed.

The beds had brand-new comfy pillow-top mattresses and great pillows. The only downside is that I didn't want to get out of it in the morning and have to sit in my car for another 12 hours.

Everything was nice and clean, both in and out of the rooms, and they had a nice little continental breakfast in the lobby.

Is it a resort? Obviously not. Is it a nicely-priced, comfortable place to stay when you're on the road? Absolutely.

Room Tip: As of this writing, only the 3rd floor had been renovated. Ask for a room up there.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marion
Hampton Inn & Suites Cedar Rapids - North
The Hotel at Kirkwood Center
The Hotel at Kirkwood Center
#2 of 36 in Cedar Rapids
Homewood Suites by Hilton Cedar Rapids North

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Marion/Cedar Rapids? Share your experiences!