“Not like other Microtel Locations”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Marion/Cedar Rapids
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marion
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I've stayed in other Microtel franchise locations before - and this was by far the worst one to date. The interior of the room was in desperate need of remodel, with its peeling and stained wallpaper, outdated bedspreads, cobwebs, and beat up chair (the chair literally gave me a sliver!). Ironically, the bathroom was in very nice shape and much cleaner than the rest of the room - I can't figure that one out.?.? The toilet, though, liked to flush down everything BUT toilet paper. I made mention of it to the housekeeper and she said she would tell maintenance - they never showed up...

The continental breakfast is a pre-packaged lover's dream. Muffins in plastic bags, pre-packed bagels, tiny pre-filled cereal bowls, etc. Granted they were Otis Spunkmeyer brand bakery, and probably tasted the same as other non-bagged varieties, but it gave a cheap look to the spread.

The thing that really caught me off guard is that they required me to leave a cash deposit because I payed with cash. They even had my credit card on file from the reservation - but insisted that I leave a cash deposit equal to the entire bill for the room! I was lucky to have had it on me, because I was never told of this when I made the reservation. I have never had this happen at any Wyndham affiliated hotel in the past - so it caught me off guard.

(I travel all over the country with my job, and I contribute on EVERY hotel I stay in. Trip Advisor has been a great tool for me, and I contribute fairly, for both good and bad facilities.)

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank FunnyFisher
MarionMicrotel, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Marion/Cedar Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2012

Dear Guest,

I apologize for any complaints you may have had in the past.
If your card was on file and we still required a cash payment, it would be because your card declined its authorization. We have a great variety of breakfast items. We just expanded our breakfast to include fresh fruit, and 3 types of yogurt. Due to strict county health department regulations, our property is only allowed to serve pre-packaged items since we are not equipped with a kitchen. Most Microtels do not have a kitchen and some Microtels may have breakfast food that is not pre-packaged. However, Health Department regulations vary greatly by state.

There are newer reviews for Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Marion/Cedar Rapids

Reviewed October 23, 2011

We stayed in a Microtel Hotel in Springfield, Illinois for a weekend in the same dorm-type room we had here. The things provided there and not here are: shampoo, coffee maker, Ironing board & iron. Our room itself was clean, but run down (They had already renovated the third floor, but not ours,,,it also cost $10 more a night to stay there) The smoking rooms were on the same floor as non-smoking, so when you got off the elevator, the hallway reeked of cigarettes. We stayed in a room at the end of the hallway and the street noise was annoying + neighboring rooms were loud.DO NOT STAY HERE! We came here for my husband's fathers funeral

Room Tip: Look at your room before purchasing it
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2011

It's interesting that this place had good reviews for a while, then awful reviews, and now we're back to good reviews. Change of management perhaps?

Regardless, our stay was excellent. My son and I were on a road trip so only needed a hotel to sleep in. I picked the Microtel for two reasons: 1) I knew they were relatively inexpensive; 2) it was late and it looked like the last hotel I was going to see for a while.

I expected the usual econo-box style room but when I checked in the clerk, who was extremely nice and patient with the tired folks in line, put me into a third floor room. A renovation had recently been completed on that floor and wow, it was great. I've stayed in hotels costing four times as much and this room was every bit as nice.

Too often a hotel brags about having flat-screen TVs and then you find they're the size of a computer monitor and you can't see them from the bed. This room had a flat-screen TV that was big enough to see from the bed.

The beds had brand-new comfy pillow-top mattresses and great pillows. The only downside is that I didn't want to get out of it in the morning and have to sit in my car for another 12 hours.

Everything was nice and clean, both in and out of the rooms, and they had a nice little continental breakfast in the lobby.

Is it a resort? Obviously not. Is it a nicely-priced, comfortable place to stay when you're on the road? Absolutely.

Room Tip: As of this writing, only the 3rd floor had been renovated. Ask for a room up there.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2011

We recently returned from a family vacation to see family in Marion, Iowa. Upon our arrival, we were offered to stay in an upgraded room for $10 more per night. We gladly accepted and were pleasantly surprised by the accomodations. The furnishings were nice, modernized and clean. I would recommend paying the extra $10/night to stay in the upgraded rooms.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the upgraded rooms
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 8, 2011

So I'm being cheap and spending as least as I can. Selected this place for the price. This is a good value relative to other "no star" hotels around Cedar Rapids. The front desk is tremendously friendly and helpful. There lobby is decent for a "no star". The room has a distinct college dorm look and feel. All the fixtures are molded and attached to the wall. Mirrors cover wall at head of bed ( a little weird to me). The tv is on top of what claims to be a closet, so you have to watch it from laying down in the bed. One desk chair that needs repair. There is no moderating the heat. It's either blowing full blast heat, or blowing cold air. The bathroom is decent, but no expect any toiletries. Other than the price, the other good is that there is a microwave and refrig in each room (I believe).

Like I began, this is a "no star" hotel, but its clean (avoid the smoking section of the hallways they have a strange smell), decent bedding. Location absolutely sucks so avoid unless you have business in the immediate vicinity. If downtown, find someplace else.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 10, 2010

I would have to agree with most of the other reviews. The room was dirty including the bedspread stained, gross bathroom, and the smell was very musty. The front desk was not accomodating, either. Daylight could not come soon enough so we could be on our way. We would not have stayed at this hotel if it would not have been booked by the association we were working for prior to our arrival.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
MarionMicrotel, Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Marion/Cedar Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2010

We take every guests complaint into careful consideration. It is our job to ensure every guests stay is as pleasant as possible. We are currently renovating and we have some renovated rooms open. As for the guests who would like to save money, we are offering the rooms that have not been renovated at a discounted rate. We go above and beyond to ensure our guests have a positive experience and one technique we use: offering guests the option of an older room to save money, if one is still available.

Reviewed November 2, 2009

I think you will find that "dirty" is a theme running through these reviews and this one is no different. The entire hotel was filthy from the elevator to the stairways and the rooms. The walls are cracking and there a big holes in the outside wall. I brought a package of Clorox wipes with just to do door knobs and stuff, but I ended up re cleaning the whole room. We stayed there because of proximity to our daughter's house and didn't have to spend much time there. Otherwise we would have walked out disgusted. The night clerk was a dude with a baseball cap on hiding in the back room. The "breakfast" was all pre-packaged, high sugar crap.No trays. No covers for the coffee cups. No fresh fruit. No fresh anything. If you need to stay near Marion, IA, try the Quality Inn on the north side of of Cedar Rapids, or the Best Western Longbranch. These are not top of the line either, but so much better than this Microtel. Wyndham should be ashamed of itself for holding on to this property.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank harleyrev
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marion
Days Inn & Suites Cedar Rapids
Best Western Plus Longbranch Hotel & Convention Center
Hampton Inn & Suites Cedar Rapids - North
Homewood Suites by Hilton Cedar Rapids North
Sleep Inn & Suites Mount Vernon

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Marion/Cedar Rapids? Share your experiences!