“El Perico, I go back again and again!”
Review of El Perico - CLOSED

El Perico
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed August 11, 2013

El Perico is located near the downtown Marion Square. This used to be a combination market and restaurant, but has been remodeled to seat more people in three distinct areas. The staff is very friendly and the food is superb and cooked fresh for each and every order. The food is delcious and definitely worth the wait of the cooking time! My favorites are Chicken Flautas and Chicken Enchiladas with verde sauce. The fresh salsa is top notch and chips have that hint of real lime flavor. This is the only place I go for good Mexican food!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

This location housed a great Chinese restaurant in my childhood. Now it's the home of an authentic Mexican restaurant in Marion, IA. Some menu items take a long time to make, so if you're in a hurry ask the server what they can prepare a bit faster. Good food does take time, though. Used to house a grocery store as well but is now just the restaurant. Vegetarian options. Mexican drinks (rice milk, sugar cane, etc.)

Reviewed May 18, 2013

This place looks like a little hole in the wall from the outside, but is actually very nice on the inside. Many authentic mexican items on the menu, things I have not seen since I actually lived in Mexico. They were moderately busy but food was fast enough and priced reasonable. Too many things I would like to try that I will have to go back several times. I wanted the choco flan here, but they were out. However their fried ice cream was absolutely delicious, even served in a cinnamon/sugar tortilla bowl with strawberries and whipped cream. The waitress was friendly and helpful and it took a little while for us to review the wide range of choices on the menu and decide what to order.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband I enjoy mexican food, so we thought we would try El Perico. This was a big mistake! It took 10 minutes for some one to seat us, then, another 20 minutes for the waitress to wait on us! The food took over an 1 hour to cook. The waitress said everthing was made from scratch and this was the reason why it took so long to get our food served to us! The first batch of chips and salsa are free, but after that they will charge you $2.99! The food is super spicey so take your pepcid ac before you eat! We were there in January and I had to eat with my winter coat on because it was freezing in the resturant.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Great chips and drinks but after waiting for almost 2 hours we had to go out 4 year old was starving. Smelled good next time no kids and will go for drinks and appetizers - need a kitchen process implemented.