“Impressive”

Dining options: Dinner, Serves Alcohol
Marion, Iowa
“Impressive”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

This place looks like a little hole in the wall from the outside, but is actually very nice on the inside. Many authentic mexican items on the menu, things I have not seen since I actually lived in Mexico. They were moderately busy but food was fast enough and priced reasonable. Too many things I would like to try that I will have to go back several times. I wanted the choco flan here, but they were out. However their fried ice cream was absolutely delicious, even served in a cinnamon/sugar tortilla bowl with strawberries and whipped cream. The waitress was friendly and helpful and it took a little while for us to review the wide range of choices on the menu and decide what to order.

• Visited May 2013

Cedar Rapids, IA
“Super slow services”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband I enjoy mexican food, so we thought we would try El Perico. This was a big mistake! It took 10 minutes for some one to seat us, then, another 20 minutes for the waitress to wait on us! The food took over an 1 hour to cook. The waitress said everthing was made from scratch and this was the reason why it took so long to get our food served to us! The first batch of chips and salsa are free, but after that they will charge you $2.99! The food is super spicey so take your pepcid ac before you eat! We were there in January and I had to eat with my winter coat on because it was freezing in the resturant.

• Visited January 2013
Anamosa, Iowa
“had to leave after an hour and 45 minutes do not take kids if they need to eat”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Great chips and drinks but after waiting for almost 2 hours we had to go out 4 year old was starving. Smelled good next time no kids and will go for drinks and appetizers - need a kitchen process implemented.

• Visited January 2013
Iowa
“NO CHEESE ON THE TACOS!”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

And that's a good thing. What a shocker to find authentic homemade Mexican food in Marion Iowa! High points:

- Tacos do not come with cheese.......yes Midwesterners, cheese is not standard fare on tacos

- Tongue, Pork belly and real Chorizo tacos were great and very flavorful

- Great salsa, they will even make a hotter warm batch in a stone molcajete!

- Chimichanga quite good

- Chili Relleno excellent! Instead of the cheese laden blob with a spec of pepper you get a real plate of full size poblanos, with huevos and just a smidgen of cheese.

5 Stars for Iowa
4 Stars for Latino centric areas (Chicago, etc)

Visited November 2012
Marion, Iowa
“Fantastic Mexican slow food”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

If you're looking for a quick meal this is not your place. If you're looking for bland food like a certain Irish/Mexican sounding restaurant serves, this is not your place. If you're willing to wait for a freshly made, "every dish tastes unique" Mexican meal, you've found found your new favorite restaurant.

Great food is worth waiting for. I try a new dish every time and have never been disappointed. Their ceviche is fantastic. Every sauce is unique. Best salsa and chips I've had. Fantastic mojitos. Don't be afraid to try something new!

• Visited December 2012