“Average But Clean”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Maquoketa
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We stayed there for 3 nights. The rooms were clean, but average. The only truly negative aspect was the breakfast options provided. They could definitely take a lesson from other lodging options. Options consisted of stale mini muffins and cold cereal. The coffee was very bad. We went tot he McDonalds next door each morning. They use to offer coupons to go to the McDonalds. They should return to that practice. While it is the lowest of the 2 places to stay in town, we may go back to the other option on our next visit.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank DCTB1026

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I've stayed before and been happy, however... check in and out was fine. But the minute I walked into our room I noticed the musty/moldy smell, yuk. We should have asked to move, but I was tired and we would have had to walk all the way back to the desk. Tried putting an open bar of soap on the heater nothing fixed the smell. Over all this room was as some mentioned grimey. and the didn't appear fresh/clean. The tape over the register controls box looked dirty - should have done something different. The hair dryer didn't work, but I didn't need it. I like the coupons for breakfast. Next time I will move to another room. This was not as good as previous experiences. But, the price was right.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Lowest price in town - we had stayed at comfort but this time it was overnite and didnt need a pool. This is old super 8. Was ok clean and we were just looking for place to flop for night. Laughed at couple who tried getting in at 12 at night.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed two nights at Maquoketa Inn & Suites while attending a family gathering. We found the rooms to be cleaner and the staff to be cheerful and more helpful than expected considering the price that we paid. The beds were comfortable (certainly much better than couches at our relatives), the room was very clean (even in the corners), wifi worked well, and even the $3.00 coupons for McDonalds next door for breakfast was a pleasant surprise. The only thing I would have liked to make the visit perfect would have been better sheets. Although the sheets were clean, cotton, and had a OK touch I would have liked crisper thicker sheets. But since we only paid $45 a night (on Priceline) I thought we did quite well and so did they.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BallardSimone
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We never even made it in to get a room. Pulled in about midnite after driving 16 hours to get some to sleep. Had to use a phone to contact front desk. Waited over two minites for him to meet us at the door.

Found the guy running the front desk sleeping. Had his sweatpants,dirty tee shirt,socks,no shoes..
My husband asked what the room rates were and he stated he didnt know.My husband then said you know forget it when I get service like this.,we will find someplace else. And he replied "then f.u, thanks for waking me up a hole. Plan on calling manager/owner tomorrow and maybe even going to better business bureau. Ridiculous.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank tmort890
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Not an "upscale" motel, but clean and reasonable priced. The person who checked us in was very pleasant and helpful. The cable tv has many channels so there is a variety of programs to chose from, though our tv on the remote we had to touch volume first then the power button - but it was clearly marked on the tv that we had to do that, so no problem. I like the breakfast voucher and received it when checked in. Over all very satisfied.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Our room was clean and the reception was ok. An easy check in for us and our later-arriving co-traveler. They were also helpful with a special request at check-out. Nothing fancy, and we did have to ask for coffee supply replacements. I see another reviewer mention breakfast vouchers... I didn't even know that there was such a thing. No rolls or any breakfast items other than coffee in the lobby, despite the photos. This is a small Midwestern town. It was fine for the cost and location.

Room Tip: Smoking rooms are available, the signage is not clear. Be sure to ask for what you want.