“Grimy and smoky”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Maquoketa
Sioux City, Iowa
“Grimy and smoky”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed here one Friday night. I wasn't too impressed with the grunge in the corners of the bathroom or the ooollllddd blankets on the bed. But the worst part was the smoke smell. There was just no escaping it... yuck! My parents stay here every so often, because it's cheap, and I marvel at the steps they take to do so: flip flops for the shower, bring their own pillows, towels, and clorox wipes, as well as a can of bug spray! Sheesh! Our second night in town was at a different hotel.

Room Tip: Expect the bare necessities, and to smell cigarette smoke when you're in the building.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Clinton, Ohio
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Room was ok. Hotel easy to find. Not many choices in area. Reception was almost surly. Room was adequate for our needs. Zero extra effort on part of reception though. No information about area or anything else. I wouldn't have received breakfast vouchers if I did not ask. All questions answered as if I asked for the inn lease. Weird to see someone's private backyard outside your window.

Room Tip: I would ask to be on parking lot side instead of private residential side of hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Beloit, WI
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We spent one night while on a trip for an anniversary party in a nearby town. I chose this on the recommendations here - and initially my impression was good - friendly receptionist, the hallways seemed clean (except for obvious dust in stairwells and the push-door handle to it's door). But on entering our room, our 7 year old immediately saw a large silverfish on the ice bucket tray. Ick. But ok, that happens. But then there were pieces of ?? on the bathroom floor, and - are you ready - hair on the sheets of one of the beds. And to top it off, I didn't realize that across the hall were smoking rooms. So guess what we smelled all night. So in the end, I wasn't really thrilled with our accomodations. It worked for a night, but I'm sure we could've paid less for the same thing.

Room Tip: If you are a nonsmoker, make sure to ask if there are smoking rooms near yours - if there are, you w...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed May 15, 2012 via mobile

No microwave or refrig in room.
there is a washing mach and dryer
no breakfast but you get a 3$ credit at mcdonalds right next door.

• Stayed May 2012
AMES
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We spent two nights here. The staff was very accommodating and helpful when we needed a shower seat for my elderly mom. They also responded when I said the bathroom door squeaked and sprayed some WD-40 on the hinges.

It was quiet and we were pleased with our stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Very dark at 10pm. Room was ok, bed was very uncomfortable. It will work in a pinch

Room Tip: It was very quiet
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Parking was terrible, the only way in the lot was through McDonalds. The lobby was basic and clean. Laundry available beside front desk. Three floors, no elevator and ice machine broken on second floor. The carpet in the hallways was very worn yet the tiled entries were neat and clean Room was ok, I found licorice sticks on the floor under the bed. The beds were old and not that comfortable but also not the worst I have had to sleep on. Breakfast was donuts, sweet cereal and bagels. I would stay here again for work, or necessity.

• Stayed June 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maquoketa
Decker Hotel
#2 of 4 in DeWitt
Squiers Manor B&B
Squiers Manor B&B
#1 of 1 in Maquoketa

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!