“Beautiful people !!! Beautiful place!!!”

and 1 more site!
Club Amigo Costasur
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Playa Ancon
Ontario
“Beautiful people !!! Beautiful place!!!”
Reviewed March 14, 2009

I visited Costasur with my husband two teenagers (ages 13 -girl & 16 -male), and parents ages 68&72. This was my fourth trip to Cuba. I wanted something for everyone in my family. I definately got it. We have taken the kids before to Santa Lucia,Cuba(a four star) They prefered Costasur. My parents have never travelled any where tropical. They can't wait to go back!! My husband and I (45&43) had a great time also. I can't think of many vacation places that can please this wide an age group! The staff at this resort are tops!! From the Sunwing reps, Levys and Maryelvis, who are the most personable reps at any resort that I have stayed at! Levy was wonderful to my family. He was great to my mom who felt sick on the bus to the resort, to my daughter who contracted an eye infection on route to Cuba. He ordered sterilized water for cleaning and brought her antibiotic drops the next day(no charge!). Maryelvis made special trips to an orphanage and senior's residences to deliver items I brought for the Cubain people.
All the staff at costasur are great from the waiters in the restaurant(especially Palito who befriended my entire family) to the cleaning staff,bartenders,to the entertainment staff,the likes of which I have never met! They befriended my teenagers and made them feel like family. All staff went above and beyond what was required of themselves, to make our stay the best.Yeniel my kids speak of you often. Thank you! Also the dance crew you were great to my daughter. For the people who have written bad reviews about the staff all I can say to you is ....you reap what you sew. If you are nice to them (Not just talking about tipping ect) they are more than nice to you!!!
The resort itself is great ! The view of the Mountains from the beach is nothing short of breathtaking! We stayed in the Bungalows which are right on the beach very nice and roomy. They all have a small fridge, separate t.v. room,and bathroom. No door between t.v. room and bedroom. the bedroom had Two double beds. We also had a twin bed in the t.v. room, not all bungalows have this. The rooms are very clean and no bugs.
The food is cuban. If you want gormet go to Toronto! The food was always hot ,plentiful and well displayed. There was always fresh fruits and veggies both regular and cuban fare. There was an egg grill every morning some fresh meat grilled every lunch and dinner. There was always something for everyone.(remember the age range of my extended family)The bartenders were always promp and frendly, and YES THEY HAVE MOJITOS!!!!!(see Carlos at the beach bar for the "best" ones)
My family always felt safe at Costasur, I was nevered worried about my kids roaming alone on the resort.
The nightlife was good in town at "the cave" and town square . I never went but friends did go and said it was good. The resort is fairly quiet after the ''show" ends at 11:30. The shows are O.K. They are usually funny and entertaining. Nothing big just good fun.
The extra trips off the resort were good and well worth the $.
The beach is lovely. A small cove area for swimming and amateur snorkling, was enjoyed by my family espiecially my kids. The sand is white but not powdery. It was course with some rocks. Some wore water shoes most didn't. We never had a problem getting a beach chaise, a seat at the bar or poolside,or at the buffet. We didn't have a problem getting a reservation at the a la carte restaurant (which was O.K. but we prefered the buffet.)
Overall Costasur is definately a resort I would I'd return to, and recomend to anyone.
Until we meet again my friends.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
7 Thank aurasun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
salsa savant
Reviewed March 12, 2009

This was our 2nd year to visit the Costasur. There are resorts with better amenities in Cuba, and possibly even for a cheaper price, however, it is the staff factor that draws us back.

The staff seem genuinely happy there and are treated well. In turn, they make the holiday for the vacationers. It is no fun to be at a resort where the staff are not happy. The staff who work at the Costasur generally do not have a long drive to work (and it makes a difference). Contrary to another poster there was no evidence of interdepartmental bickering. They greeted each other with the traditional double kiss and there were no ugly looks to each other.

We stayed at a bungalow on the beach which was heavenly. There are 2 chairs with which to enjoy your cocktail (from the beach bar) or your coffee (in your own thermal mug from the pool bar a short walk away). The sunsets are spectacular. The bungalows have a little sitting room with a separate a/c unit, TV, settee and easy chair. I would prefer my bungalow to the superior junior suite with the outdoor shower at the Paradisus Rio De Oro in Holguin (that's how much I liked it). The room was very clean and our maid was personable.

The food was okay. Breakfast was as good as the Paradisus and other better hotels as an omellette is an omellette. The toast is maybe not so good, but it is made for you. Slather on enough of butter (which is the same anywhere you go) and yummy strawberry jam and you will put on weight. There was no ketchup while we were there. I made do with A1 sauce for my omellette. Absence of items is what makes the Cuba experience. This year the buns were way-better. Really fresh! The soups were all very good. The salad had good variety. Don't go to Cuba for the food. Go to The Keg or your favourite restaurant at home but don't make the Cubans suffer by complaining of the food. If you want good food go to the Paradisus and pay 2-3 x more. Hot dogs, sandwiches and fries are available at the pool bar before 5 p.m. When we were there - we asked for vinegar. The staff were interested in this as no one else had asked for vinegar. Wash the fries down with a beer. The alacarte restaurant was fabulous. I loved their pizza and the grilled shrimp. We prefered an early reservation (7 p.m.)

Salsa lessons were much improved from the year before. They were held at 11 and 5 by the pool. They were a good workout. Wash them down with a beer. :)

Snorkeling at the beach adjacent to the resort was pretty good. I saw a big eel, small eel and stingray. Get guidance on where to enter the water as the ocean bed is almost all coral. Listen to the beach guys that are giving you tips. Lots of black urchins so be careful. I always make the mistake of snorkeling too close to the 2nd parking lot, contrary to the advice of the beach guys. The beach at the resort is a natural pool. Perhaps not the beach lovers beach, but for our purposes it was great.

We took a side trip by the horse and buggy to snorkel at a natural pool entry on the way to La Boca. It was nice and the caballero will watch your stuff and help you out. You can stop at El Ranchon Grille for a beer and to view the sea from their fabulous deck on the way back.

We went on regular trips into town via cab to: shop at the market, go to the Town Centre (up the steps), and to the Casa de la Trova (dance hall with continuous live music). Cab into town is 8 cuc and back to the Resort is 10 cuc. The opportunities to dance at these places are endless. If you like to dance this is the place to go. If you like to watch others dance - it is the place to go).

There is an excellent quality improvement program at this resort. We were requested to complete a satisfaction survey and we know that items on it were attended to. If you aren't happy with something at the resort you can maybe fixing it with the satisfaction survey. We think of this resort as our winter 'cottage' vacation. It isn't fancy. If you like to dance, enjoy snorkeling, are flexible with your food and like the people who are caring for you to be happy then this may be the resort for you. If you are fussy please don't go here, I couldn't bear it if the staff had to deal with you. ;O)

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank Tigericious
ontario
Reviewed March 8, 2009

The Costa Sur is an interesting place. It has problems, but fairly minor in nature.

The food is good, as decent as any 3 star I've stayed at. It's plentiful and tasty for the most part with enough variety to keep you happy. They have a special dinner occasionally and it's usually good. The ala carte is a charming little place at the end of the property. The drinks are decent and the staff fairly quick in filling orders.

The resort is clean and well kept but there are minor things broken, like the showerhead, that will never get repaired if you complain.

The beach is quite nice but the swimming area is poor, not very deep or large and you have to go past the rock barrier to see anything snorkelling. Cuban Nationals swamped the beach a couple of days and that wasn't pleasant. They were a nuisance.

The amenities are OK, pool tables, bikes, some watersports gear, Spanish lessons, enterainment are middle of the road for 3 star places. There is a guy named Tato who is a nuisance and I had to tell him to back off and leave us alone. We'll speak Spanish when we feel like it thanks, not at his command.

The joy of Costa Sur is the proximity to Trinidad. It's a great city to waste time in, plenty to see and photograph. Fares are cheap and many different ways to get there exist.

Dislikes. There's no outdoor dining, just the main room. The snack bar staff can be testy and refuse to make you a snack no matter how politely you ask. I mentioned the swimming area is not great. Some of the staff are downright pains in the backside.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank wallythacker
Toronto
Reviewed March 2, 2009

I loved this location, the bungalow was wonderful and the cleaning staff the usual clean people that wanted a tip of some kind.

I found the hotel dinning room awful, the food was the worst I've ever encountered in my ten trips to Cuba. The dinning room and the bar were engaged in some kind of turf war over the cups and saucers so they ran out of cups in the morning in the dinning room and you had to drink your coffee out of a bowl, glass or anything you could find. We were served beef tongue twice, liver three times, and the eggs on the hot table in the morning were "green" if you can believe it. I complained to the Sunwing rep about the food, eggs in particular and the chef said "they come out that way because of the hot table" then walked away. I especially didn't like to see the green eggs mixed with cold spaghetti for a salad at lunch. In general they didn't show any care in preparing or presenting the food.

Also the drinks were very cheap, poorly presented and the enterainment a joke.

This place is all about proximity to Trinidad and its night life and having a great view of the ocean, don't count on drinking anything worth while, or eating anything while you are there.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
CANADA
Reviewed February 4, 2009

My friend and I decided to get the heck out of the snow and cold. We decided to plan a very last minute vacation (we booked 2 days earlier).

By luck of the draw we ended up at Club Amigo Costa Sur.
The plane ride (Sunwing) was not so fun! The plane lands in Cayo Coco first, you must disembark for 30 minutes so the plane can be cleaned! (There is a return flight to TO right after we get off) So, we sat in the Cayo Coco airport for 30 minutes before flying 24 mintues to Cienfuegos.

Once in Cienfuegos we were greeted by the Sunwing rep, Levis (he is awesome). We piled onto a bus and travelled for approx. 1.5 hours to the resort. (So go pee before you leave)

NOTE: There is NO tiolet paper in many places, so bring a travel package of wipes.

We arrived at the resort just before midnight. (So keep in mind the kitchen is closed) The pool bar is opened for "camel" sandwiches. I say camel, because it is definately mystery meat!
Our check in was quick and easy. Regla, the front desk clerk speaks english so she mades it easier for us folk that speak limited spanish!

Our room was clean and simple!

NOTE: If you want a hot shower, run the water for at least 20 minutes. Otherwise it feels like you are showering in the pool water...brrrr!

In the morning (9:30am) by the pool bar, the entertainment staff has "morning exersices" hosted by Yenial, Erich and the dancers! At 11:30am, it's salsa lessons time (ask Erich to move his hips for you...very NICE!)

The resort was not very busy, so we were normally the only ones in all the classes!

Don't be fooled by the "beach area" by the pool. It's not the beach! There is a nice beach area down by the bugalows and a beach bar! Leo, the bartender at the beach has mint, so you can get a Mojito there! (Surprisingly, Mojitos are hard to come by!)

There is a "bank" in the front lobby! Keep in mind that $20.00 Canadian is approx. $14.85 in CUC.

There is a store in the front lobby with an assortment of goodies, sandals, smokes and beauty supplies!

Activities:
Pool (don't ask Erich to play, he will kick your butt)
Ping pong
Paddle boats (but there are too many rocks for it to work)
Dancing
There are nightly shows that are pretty good for a small resort. Thursday night is a little vulgar though! Beware!
The dancers (Yosalanis, Donya, Andre, Magalis etc., do a good job)
Tato, the costume designer also "appears" in the show. I will bet you laugh your butt off when you see him!
After the show, Roberto lets the music play until 11pm and that's it for the entertainment. They role up the carpets at 11pm!! So if you are looking for a party place, this is not going to be it!

Food::
The dining room is ONLY open in the morning until 10:30. Lunch from 12:30 to 2:30 and dinner at 6:30. These times are pretty strict, they don't really budge! The foods is not so great. But, I grabbed a plate and filled it up with veggies and garlic oil. I asked the woman at the grill to fry it up.
I made my own stir fry almost everyday!

There is also hot dogs, hamburgers (pork), sandwhiches and fries at the pool bar in the afternoon.

EXTRA FUN?
We took several walks to Ancon beach (the public beach). It is far nicer and not a bad walk. You can also get there on horse and buggy for $5 CUC. I suggest taking the beach walk, it only takes 20 mins. You could also take a bike from the resort. We even hitched a ride with some Italian guys one day.

Take a day trip to Trinidad! I wouldn't waste your money booking a trip. Instead share a taxi ($8.00 CUC) to Trinidad, or catch a Coco taxi ($5.00 CUC). Ask the driver to drop you off at the museums. You can explore all the museums for FREE. You can donate money on the way out if you wish. There are several little bars that play music in the area. We went on our own and made a full day of it! We ran into the "tour" that went from the hotel several times and they paid over $30.00 CUC for their trip!
If you have the change trip the Cuban pizza that is sold out of, what looks like someones front window!
If you can go to Canchancara (look it up on google), the history of this tiny cafe/bar is amazing! Be sure to try a Canchancara drink too!

At night, we took the worker bas ($1.00 cuc) to Casa de la Musica and Las Cavaus (the cave). The was amazing!
I can't say enough about the cave, it looked like a bar that could fit in easily in TO. NOTE: Bring toilet paper!
It costs $2.00 CUC to get into the Casa de la Musica and $3.00 CUC for the cave.
If you drink, bring a bottle of rum from the resort! People walk around everywhere with bottles. You can buy a can of coke for mix once you get there!

If you don't want to go the Casa de la Musica, just take in the dancing on the steps to the Casa!

SECURITY:
We felt SO safe. Everywhere was went we saw security, military or police! They were all helpful and pleasant! If you have ANY problem talk to the police...they will help you!

To conclude, after our first week there, we returned to Canada and the freezing cold! We missed the place and the people sp much that we booked another week and went back only 7 days later!

The second time around was AMAZING because we felt like we were among old friends!

NOTE: If you are looking to bring the staff items.
Keep in mind they make the equivalant of $20.00 a day! So, camera's. memory cards, MP3 players, shoes and JEANS are always wanted!

If you do decided to go, please contact me because I have several messages that I would love to have delivered to the workers!
mishellec@sympatico.ca

• Liked — The staff and locating!
  • Disliked — Not to much to do at night!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
8 Thank mishbrown

Travelers are raving about these Playa Ancon hotels

Miramichi NB Canada
Reviewed January 28, 2009

After just spending last week(16th-23rd Jan 2009)my wife and I were wondering which resort most if not all the people that wrote those reviews were staying!!The staff,from top to bottom were the best that we have seen in Cuba in 13 trips.I am not saying the other ones were bad,by any means,but the interaction between us and our friends and the WHOLE staff were nothing less than gracious to us.They couldn't do enough for us,from reserving out table to interaction with the entertainment staff to ,very professional,and we will be returning.Quality service for your buck,but if your the type that wants 5 or more service,then leave this place for us.Cuban food is Cuban food.The accomadations were clean,very pleasant,with a good veiw of the ocean.If we gone by the reviews that we read we would have been horrified,but we like checking out on our own,and more than satisfied with the whole place.Kodo's to Costasur.Hasta la vista

• Liked — Personel
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ladilaura
montreal
Reviewed January 4, 2009

After having visited Varadero this place was completely different!
Nice and relaxing...finally!t The beach well it is more of a small area within rocks..rocks..no waves but it is worth walking to the other big hotels like the ancon if that is what you want..spend the day and come back !
The staff is just fantastic.. If you go say hi to Myriam from Jackie ( my daughter which just fell in love with her ...Myriam sings in the show ! We had such a beautiful and relaxing time and so different from all those packed hotels and noise that we are now looking up to go again this march!
Manon

• Liked — The friendlyness of the staff
  • Disliked — nothing
Blau Varadero Hotel Cuba
Starfish Cuatro Palmas
Starfish Cuatro Palmas
#9 of 63 in Varadero

Been to Club Amigo Costasur? Share your experiences!