“I will be a returning guest for life”

Club Amigo Costasur
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Playa Ancon
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was my third time returning to the resort in a year and I am absolutely in love with it.
We arrived from Cienfuegos airport and it was an hour and a half bus ride.

The grounds are very well taken care of and they are still always doing improvements. The staff is amazing, they are truly the nicest people I have ever met, some are even like family now.

This was our first time staying in the super saver room and it was good for the price. We had two single beds, two chairs and a table inside as we'll as on the balcony, which you can see a beautiful view of the ocean, as well as a tv. The room/bathroom was very clean.

I usually hate cuban hotel food but this time I ate pretty well. The rice was fresh and they always had a meat or fish on the fresh grill. Snack bar had hot dogs but no fries this time.

I honestly had the best vacation ever and I cannot wait to return again asap

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank ViVaCuBa16

Reviewed September 15, 2012

It was ok for that price.You pay what you get.I think it was nice staff,they help me whit things i need to know.The food was ok.We go in to Trinidad town and eat in the night.You must visit "La Cueva".Its a disco inside a cave,nice place.Its many things to see but of course its up to you what you like.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Morgan A
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Resort comments: An all inclusive resort Complex with rooms and bungalows

Club Amigo is set next to the sea about 13k from Trinidad de Cuba, so taxis are generally a must. There is a bus service 4 times a day for $2 but is totally useless if you want to go to town in the evening. It does the last run at 6pm Taxis are available 24/7 for between $8 and $12 depending on your negotiating skills. I can recommend a local driver, Damian who speaks good English. You can email him before you go on taxiservass@transnet.cu

Hotel facilities:
They have a nice medium size pool with a kid’s pool to the side. It is kept clean, although when I was there it was closed by 6pm. A bar is set to the side and is run very cheerfully by most of the staff. The entertainment is of high standard in the evening with a 45 minute dance/music show plus one evening with a live group playing local music. Unlike most show (animacion) staff I have met around the Caribbean, these people didn’t seem that interested in mixing with the clients to make them feel part of the resort. If approached they would make some sort of effort. Most of the time they were sat around in their own little group.
The main restaurant was pleasant and clean. The waiters were attentive
Food was fairly typical and quite similar most days but then again my tastes are simple. The drinks were plentiful.

Problems:
I was put into room 108 which was in a main block but I was in Trinidad staying with a friend for a couple of nights. I came back to see the room had mould all over one side of the room. I went to reception and they connected me to Liyenis, who is Public Relations Manager. She is a very nice woman who speaks good English. She changed my room to a Bungalow on the beach ( No 14 ) which is in a good location next to the beach.
The air conditioning in my room stopped working and leaked onto my bag which damaged a brand new white shirt. I was told it would be fixed the following day; however, it was 3 days before it was fixed. I only had aircon in the bedroom.
They also had a problem with flies in the La Lina Restaurant which was being used during a quiet period. The following day at least 10 people I know came down with gastric problems. I was laid up for a day and unable to do the lessons planned.
Suggestions:
Food covers
Fly cartridges
Keep doors closed.
The rooms are always cleaned with the doors open which means dozens of flies and mosquitoes get in, causing discomfort for the clients.

I did enjoy the staff at the resort and they were generally helpful, so when you have one or two that don’t seem to care it stands out. I had an occasion when the guy running the Beach Bar was on the phone when he should have been serving and kept saying “un momento” whilst 4 of us were waiting. I gave up, walked 100 metres to the pool bar and got great service. In fairness, it was not the usual guy.
The reception staff were helpful and always smiling.

On balance I would give the resort a 3 out of 5 rating as the rooms are looking very tired, the food fair and the activities were not really happening whilst I was there. I was hoping for some Spanish lessons as advertised but none happened.
Perhaps in peak season they make a bigger effort.

Room Tip: Rooms near the beach or bungalows for location are recommende but do check the room out thoroughly b...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Richard D
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights on the advice of the travel company we booked with as we were unable to stay at a nearby hotel which we had chosen as they did not allow children. The idea of staying in a bungalow on the beach seemed quite idyllic and the views of the sea were beautiful once you looked past the hoards of local Cuban's who invaded the beach daily via the back-door entrance, who sent one person who had paid legitimately to show their wristband at the bar to get unlimited drinks and snacks.

The bungalows theselves were dirty and never cleaned properly (flies we killed on day one were still on the floor when we left) and we also encountered a leaking air conditioning system which flooded one of the bungalows on a daily basis. The hotel staff were not overly keen to remedy this for us, they did send someone to fix it on day one, who proceeded to stand on the dressing table stool with his wet shoes, they ignored our second call on day two, and sent someone 24 hous later when the maid discovered that our beds which we pulled away from the running water were surrounded by a lake. And still on day four and the final day the air conditioning leaked - drip....drip....drip....the constant dripping of water from this leaky system through the night was enough to drive us mad. We also had articles of clothing and sandals stolen from the porch of the bungalow where we left them to dry after swimming and entry to the bungalow had to be quick to prevent the crabs and lizards from running in.

As with most 'All Inclusive' deals the food was mass produced and bland and the leftovers were made into another dish at the next setting. The buffet room itself was constantly invaded by flies as was the hot reception area which also housed a number of cats and I was particuarly horrified one evening whilst waiting to go to dinner in the reception area when a concoction of diesel smelling smoke was pumped into the hotel without warning to kill the mosquito's - and our lungs!

There are a number of picturesque locations to visit in the surrounding area which are way better than sunbathing at Costa Sur. Trinidad itself has a pretty town square and the drive onto Cienfiuegos is very scenic scattered with small bay areas. The beach along from the hotel is less occupied and a tranquil piece of paradise. Heading toward Sancti Spiritus visit the Valle de los Ingenios and the Manaca Iznaga estate which boasts a tower with fabulous views, the slave dwellings of the old sugar plantation and a beautiful restaraunt serving delicious meals with samples of sugar syrup to taste.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank JOANNEDODDS
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Without doubt one of the best hotels I have stayed at. Warm and friendly welcomes await you at this family hotel in the picturesque resort in Trinidad, Cuba. Surrounded by aqua marine bay, is perfect for children of all ages!!! Club Amigo is small enough, to allow you to have all the modern conveniences without compromising and losing the intimacy of a large hotel. Larger hotels can be so impersonal and lack warmth, the reverse is found here.

Accommodations: various rooms are available as well as mini cottages located in the each.
The rooms are lovely and clean, attended to by courteous house-cleaning and knowledgeable staff. Fresh linen and toiletries are available every day. A shower and small fridge are available in each room.

Food and drink: The hotel offers two restaurants, a family buffet with a salad bar, fresh local fish, chicken along with a chef with a carvery. full service, with white linen table cloths and maitre-d'. Children of all ages will delight in the petit fours and ice-cream. I was delighted to have presented on my birthday a homemade cake by the chef in residence.

Other Amenities: A tour guide will arrange and suggest local tours for you. There is a fleet of taxi's that can take you into town. There are banking facilities changing correspondence. A small gift shop offers post-cards, floatation devices and basic tourist items. Bottled water is available to purchase.

There is a bar on the beach, and inside the hotel. Nightly entertainment is available with and two pools, one for adults and one for children. You can also go to the gymnasium and receive there is a registered massage therapist and a nurse.

I suggest you may wish to take basic items as band-aids, calamine lotion as these are in limited supply.

Currency: There are two distinctive currencies, The CUC's can be purchased for foreign travellers inside the hotel or upon arrival at Santa Clara airport. You can not purchase these in Canada only in Cuba. The Cuban peso is not available for non-residences.

The hotel staffs is exceptional, they can't do enough for you. Food is amazing. Drift into this endless oasis of tranquility as you lounge on the chaise lounge. You will be whisked away to this magical place and leave a little of yourself there.

I would be back in a heart-beat. 5 stars for me.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the beach in southerly exposure. All room have air-conditioning and black out curtai...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Vanessa R
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We were booked in to Costasur for 3 nights. At first sight it did look quite nice but we had to hang around for a few hours until the beach bungalow was vacated. The beach is small as is the swimming area due to the rock formations but we didn't mind that. Inside the bungalow we had the usual lack of care that we had encountered in other hotels in cuba eg doors not reaching the floor, sockets not screwed to walls, hair dryer held up by the space between the sink and the wall, a hole around the air conditioning unit that you could put your hand in, etc. All apart from 2 staff we had dealings with during our stay were surly and rude. The restaurant was always full of flies. But our main complaint was the truly horrible noises from the ceiling and walls of our bedroom. Every night we heard what sounded like an army of crabs going round and round above our heads and then we could hear them move along the wall at the back of our bed. They also must have been chewing wires because there were a few very loud bangs overhead! On the last night one of the crabs came out of the gap in the ceiling to hover above us until we caught it! All in all it was not a pleasant experience and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Finorm
Reviewed August 17, 2012

The place is on a kind of a nice location, but the heavenly pictures presented are far from reality. My girlfriend and I tricked ourselves into sleeping here because of the beach bungalows, which seemed like a great romantic idea at the time.
Now, the beach is not that great, it’s actually a natural pool protected by rocks, so you can not really swim far. Don't try to get past the rocks as you can get injured. The door of the bungalow was 5 cm above the floor, so all kinds of critters could have and did crawl in until we blocked the door using a towel. The air-co didn’t work, but luckily they managed to fix it. The worst part of the whole stay was the food. It was the worst we had on our trip in Cuba. Also, it was not possible to get a bottle of water after 20.00 anywhere. You could get a glass at the bar but only until 23.00 or so. The only thing I did like there were the drinks, not bad at all.
I highly recommend, and I cannot stress this enough, staying in casa Norelvis and Liubetsy in Trinidad (we stayed there for two days, see the review) and taking a cab to the beach.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
38 mi away
Hotel Jagua
Hotel Jagua
#2 of 7 in Cienfuegos

Been to Club Amigo Costasur? Share your experiences!