“Mixed bag” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Faithful Pilot Cafe & Spirits
Ranked #6 of 23 Restaurants in Le Claire
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Faithful Pilot is located in the scenic downtown LeClaire, Iowa. Owner & Executive Robert Day changes his menus seasonally and uses local farmers, growers, and individual buyers so keep pricing at their best and ingredients the best they can be. Chef Robert is passionate with a phenomenal wine list and Artisan brew list to keep his guests interest. The Faithful Pilot is a hidden gem for over 23 years and strives for the best food and guest experience with every plate.
Duluth, Minnesota
“Mixed bag”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We dined at the Faithful Pilot while staying in LeClaire on our way home from a trip to Kentucky. As other reviewers have posted, it is quite pricey for what you get. If you are like me, you don't mind spending $$$ for a great dining experience, but want value for your dollar. Wine was $9 for about a quarter of a glassful. We are accustomed to some good bread and olive oil in a high dollar restaurant, but did not get that treatment at the Pilot. I had salmon for my entree and I will say it was very good, and a fair portion. We just didn't come away with a really satisfied feeling though.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Will S

Atlanta
“Could Not Have Been Better!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I don't say that often! I was in Le Claire for a weekend to visit and take in the sights of this very enjoyable small town on the Mississippi... Actually my second visit with a free weekend while working in Chicago..

I had an evening reservation after I saw the menu selections...

My dining experience could not have been better! I started with their fall soup of roasted squash which was outstanding! Then the veal; also excellent! Flavorful and tender, with fall vegetables...
A nice glass of wine that the manager recommended... service was good.. and prompt.. but, did notice that each course or glass of wine was served by a different staff person...

I enjoy dining.. the last time I was in the area, I ate at the Duck Bistro.. also excellent...and frankly some of the negative reviews surprised me; my total experience could not have been better... go, try, enjoy! Excellent Kitchen Skills..... very nice atmosphere....

• Visited October 2013
Le Claire, Iowa
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

We have had many fabulous dinners at the Faithful Pilot through the years, but things have been "off" during our last two experiences. I was surprised, when ordering drinks, that there were no N/A beer choices. There are actually people who do not drink alcohol (choice, pregnancy, medications, designated driver, "on-call", alcohol issues) and might want a non-alcoholic alternative to water or soda while dining out. I can't think of another fine dining establishment I have frequented in the U.S. that has not offered at least one brand of the many great choices out there. The server also had a dismissive and patronizing attitude about it. The entrees were good, the salads disappointing, and the service was very, very slow. Our server did not ever bring the wine my husband ordered with dinner and did not check back until we were almost done. We were also surprised her heavily-tattooed arms were not covered with sleeves...seemed out of place in an upscale restaurant. This has traditionally been our family birthday celebration spot...no longer. For the price, we expect more.

2 Thank Jane P
IOWA
“Great food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and I ate here for our anniversary. We had the baby octopus starter, it was really good with a unique presentation. My husband had the duck for his entree and I had the filet. My husband said his duck was very tasty. My filet was phenomenal, so tender and flavorful. I couldn't eat all my meal so we took half of the filet home and it even heated back up nicely. We were seated in the back by the windows as requested. Wait staff is attentive and pleasant. The menu can get pricey but I don't believe its any more than other fine dining restaurants in the area we've been to. If you want a special experience with great food go to the Faithful Pilot.

Iowa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Restaurant going downhill fast.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

My husband and I loved the Faithful Pilot for years. Our past four experiences have been extremely disappointing. As others have said, the prices have gone up and the portions have gone down. The food has always been a bit inconsistent, but we thought the venue made up for that. Now, the Piolt charges $9 and up for a glass of wine and insists on no more than a 4-ounce pour. When I received my glass of wine, it could not have been more than a 3-ounce pour. Even the waitress agreed that it looked like a short pour. By comparison, most restaurants provide a 5-6 ounce pour.

We ordered mussels for an appetizer. They were swimming in a rich broth and served with two small toast points. When we asked for additional bread, we were told there would be an up-charge. Seriously? Our waitress was so embarrassed by the tightness of the restauraunt that she offered to buy us dessert on her own dime. We were there on a Thursday night from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. We were the only patrons of the restaurant the entire time. No wonder. We won't be back.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LindaIowa
Robert D, Owner at The Faithful Pilot Cafe & Spirits, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Linda,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We know your schedule is hectic and taking the time out of your day is important to us. As the Owner and Executive Chef I am deeply saddened that you feel everything about your meal was unsatisfactory. I strive daily to make sure that every guest and every meal and plate is worth every penny, and I apologize that this one missed the mark. I noticed in your review you said you would never be back but I hope that I can change your mind and truly show you how The Faithful Pilot and my team can wow you. Again we appreciate you taking the time and I would love to meet you in person to be able to apologize. Thanks for your time Linda.