“An excellent restaurant in a pictuesque town along the Mississippi”

The Faithful Pilot Cafe & Spirits
Ranked #8 of 23 Restaurants in Le Claire
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Faithful Pilot is located in the scenic downtown LeClaire, Iowa. Owner & Executive Robert Day changes his menus seasonally and uses local farmers, growers, and individual buyers so keep pricing at their best and ingredients the best they can be. Chef Robert is passionate with a phenomenal wine list and Artisan brew list to keep his guests interest. The Faithful Pilot is a hidden gem for over 23 years and strives for the best food and guest experience with every plate.
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We had a special guest that had driven from Vancouver, British Columbia to spend a few days with us on her way east to visit other friends. We decided that the Faithrul Pilot was a place that would be indicative of the few fine dining restaurants in the Quad City area and we were not disappointed.

The service was excellent and attentive to all of our needs. The menu, altough very short, had a wide variety of excellent choices. The halibut was fresh and delightful and the rack of lamb was terrific. To close out the evening, we shared a chocolate walnut strusel which was to die for. Our guest was delighted with this quaint restaurant with views of the Mississippi River and we would recommend this restaurant as must try.

4  Thank Bill H

Reviewed July 31, 2012

On our recent trip to Le Claire, our family had dinner at the Faithful Pilot. We had heard great things about it and were excited to try it. When one of the local proprietors heard we were eating dinner there, she said “Oooh, it’s worth the price!”

The restaurant is in the fine dining category and the menu items all sound amazing. There are two dining areas, one in the front and one in the rear with a river view. The kitchen is off to the side with a small window so you can see them cooking from the front room. Linen table-clothes, lot of cutlery, wine list, it’s a great place to take a date.

I have very mixed feelings about both the service and the food. Our waitress was prompt in bringing water, taking our order, recommending dishes, and bringing drinks. We didn’t see nearly as much of her after our meals came. My water glass ran dry and after several minutes I had to flag her down since she didn’t look at our table. However, it had gotten crowded by then so they may have just been understaffed. The orange rye bread they serve is outstanding. It was truly delicious. The salads were fine. The mussels, the halibut, the salmon, the elk were all good. My potatoes were bone dry, I couldn’t even finish them. The desserts were good. The portion sizes were fine. The prices were extremely expensive. I don’t mind paying a lot for a meal, but I expect to be wowed when I do. This food was good, but it was not as great. There are several other restaurants in Le Claire which were also recommended and I would definitely try one of them next time instead.

1  Thank rickleed
Reviewed July 12, 2012

local owners; nice atmosphere...one room has a river view. food is usually excellent...

Reviewed July 4, 2012

Food is always good and the service is excellent. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed June 16, 2012

Food was good, but portions only passable. At these prices there needs to be considerably better atmosphere. I thought people went there for the selection of wines, but saw nothing special. I'm told, by people I trust, that I'm missing something. I would recommend eating in the nicer main dining room as the view, brighter lighting and bar may have taken away much of the atmosphere I enjoy and the view of the river here isn't anything special.

1  Thank Mhendri961