“Wow! What a neat combination of atmosphere & food”
Review of Crane & Pelican

Crane & Pelican
Ranked #3 of 24 Restaurants in Le Claire
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Classy comfort food served in an 1851 River boat Captain's home.
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We were in Davenport for a business event and rather than go "chain" we were told about this wonderful place in nearby LeClaire, which is 15 miles north. The drive up was great --- all along the Mississippi River and the restaurant itself has quite a history. Built as a riverboat captain's residence in the 1800s it has a nice view of the town of LeClaire and the river from the dining rooms. After the captain moved out it was later a funeral home, then bought a couple years ago and redone inside and out to become the Crane & Pelican....which is nothing less than fantastic food with a very efficient and fun staff. The night we visited it was crowded, but even then they made room when we called for reservations (we were five) and they did a super job keeping us in food and drink despite two of our group being delayed by a late arrival in town. The menu here is very wide-ranging and we at our table did everything from the fresh oysters on the half shell appetiser to a steak, beef wellington, meatloaf (got raves!) and then fruit pie (this was a mixed one of four hedgerow fruits) ala mode and more. Everything came out as ordered and promptly but not so fast that at any time we felt rushed --- all the marks of a truly fine restaurant. We did not drink (they do have a full bar) but we did feed five "soup to nuts" for $159 which we also felt was VERY reasonable for such fine food and service. Now all we need to do is find an excuse to go back to the area soon just so we can dine here agin!

Reviewed May 31, 2012

My mother-in-law and I had lunch and both our salads were tasty although my MIL had to ask for a different salad dressing because the vinaigrette tasted like it had no vinegar in it and she thought that the second dressing was just so-so. However, my biggest disappointment was in the service. Two of the things that irk me the most at any restaurant, but especially at ones that are more upscale, are when wait staff don't have a system for remembering who ordered what and have to ask their patrons and when they don't keep water glasses filled. We encountered both of those problems here. On the plus side, when we asked for some bread to accompany our salads, they brought us a delicious grilled baguette.

I will give this restaurant one more try some time, but if the service is not better, we won't be back any more.

Reviewed March 5, 2012

We went there randomly wanting some coffee. It was more of a sit down place. They didn't have specialty coffee drinks so my boyfriend ordered coffee and ice cream. I had a French martini. There wasn't too much to say about the coffee and icecream but the martini was amazing!! The food coming out of the kitchen looked really good. Servers were very nice. The place is a historic home so it's very beautiful inside. There's pictures and mirrors for sale too.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

A 160 yr old home of a riverboat captain setting on a hill over looking the river converted into a restaurant with inovative comfort food....How can you go wrong?
Don't dismiss the grilled cheese sandwich - grilled to perfection, add a bowl of the soup of the day for a scrumptious lunch!

Reviewed November 28, 2011

It's a beautiful building, conveniently located. The soup was very good, but both are entrees needed alot of work. Husbands meat loaf was burned, and my casserole did NOT specify onions as it listed all the other ingredients on the menu and it certainly had them in it. I don't always mind, but they frequently make me sick, so I try to avoid them! The staff was attentive, sometimes too attentive and kept asking how everything was. I was trying to not be rude and tell them it really was pretty bad. DON'T get the apple pie for dessert, it was about 1/2 inch tall and tasted freezery according to my husband. My orange crepes were excellent, but the caramel sauce stuck to your teeth - it should have been creamier. So, all in all, it was just ok - needs some work, but could really be a great place! Beautiful building with a fantastic view of the river!