“A good meal experience, unless they are busy”
Review of Bier Stube

Bier Stube
Ranked #1 of 23 Restaurants in Le Claire
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Erie, Illinois
“A good meal experience, unless they are busy”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My wife and I have eaten here a number of times over the last couple years. We have always had great service and great food- except on the occasions when they are busy. For some reason the staff of this place just seems to come undone under pressure. If you want to check this place out, I would recommend not coming on the weekend. Come on a weeknight for dinner and enjoy yourself!

• Visited July 2013

“Bad service-- over and over and over”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This place has somewhat good food, and some nice beers as well. However, the service ruins it every time we eat here (which is usually when we are starving and dont want to leave our smallish town or very late at night when nothing else nearby is open).

Last time we were in, we waited what seemed like forever for drink refills, and ketchup... basic components of good service and a dining experience. The staff must have been near a shift change at that time, because the assistant manager or manager was sitting at the end of the bar with 2 employees--talking about all kinds of inappropriate things within ear shot of us and other customers. We ate the Hindenburgers last time. They were okay, but the bacon was really hard and the meat tasted like a frozen patty (although sizable, yes).

Going forward to the more recent time we ate there, our server was the manager--she approached our table with a phone on her ear and proceeded to finish her conversation at the end of our table. Then she took our order, brought our drinks, and we did not see her again until our food was ready. The beer that she brought me was not cold, more luke-warm than anything. We had also ordered salads to be brought out before the meal (which are a 1.50 upcharge), and they were brought out about 2 minutes before our entrees, about 20 minutes later. I'm not sure how long they sat in the window before they were brought out. The salads were pretty small. 2 minutes later, our entrees were delivered. I had one of the german dishes, which I thought was delicious--really, the only redeeming part of the experience and my friend had a Bierstube burger. The burger was nothing special, but my friend reported that it was "okay."

Then the check was delivered and our server disappeared again, to the point where we had to bring our check and payment to another person at the bar for it to be taken care of. I wanted to put all of this on the survey that is offered at the bottom of their receipt, to give THEM the feedback, but was unable to do so because of some glitch in the system that kept on saying that I left my customer # blank, even though it was filled in.

If you are not from the area, I would recommend venturing a little further up the road to some of the other restaurants LeClaire has to offer.

• Visited July 2013
Chicago, IL
“Typical German restaurant/bar”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Food just so-so but mustard was excellent. Potato salad left a lot to be desired and the sausages were typical of every German restaurant.

Visited June 2013
Tampa, Florida
“Great Beer, Staff and Food”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband and I stopped by here after we saw Antique Archeology, we were happy because they were open and serving food and drinks at 10:30AM. Sharon was our server/bartender and she ROCKED!!! Very knowledgeable about the beer (her specialty) and the food. My husband had the pretzels with beer cheese. He said the best pretzels he had ever had (and he gets these at a lot of places) they were homemade (you could tell) and crispy on the outside with a wonderful cheese sauce. I had the Sausage Lunch with spaetzle and sauerkraut as my sides. Sharon had suggested the Weisswurst Sausage and she was right it was delicious. We tried a few beers on tap (I know 10:30 and drinking - but we are on vacation!) and they had a great selection to choose from. After lunch we went out on the patio and took a great picture of us with the Mississippi River in the background - Great Memories and if we are ever in Le Claire again we will definitely be back!!!!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Wannabetraveling2010
York, Pennsylvania
“I make better German food”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Start with the good things..special was a German specialty meal and generous draft beet for around $13.00. Staff was friendly and service speedy. Atmosphere nice. It's a pub. Downside' Hubby's sauerbraten just not up to par. Generous portion but not authentic. My Reuben rolls..meat was very fatty. Serving big with 2 sides.Fries were OK' not to much the potato salad. On the right track but didn't quite nail it. Someone wrote ..great for beer but eat somewhere else. I'd say go for sandwich and beer but forego a whole meal.

• Visited June 2013

Been to Bier Stube? Share your experiences!