“Relaxing stay, lovely food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Bell Inn

The Bell Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Brook
Northamtonshire
“Relaxing stay, lovely food!”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We also stayed for 2 nights on a Travelzoo deal and were very happy with our stay which was very good value. The young staff were all very friendly and helpful. The food was all delicious and we chose to eat there again on our second evening. We had a room at the front of the hotel for the first night and this was fairly noisy with a great deal of traffic passing by, we needed the window open as the room was very warm. We requested a room at the back for our second night and this was changed with no trouble and was much more quiet. Very convenient for exploring the New Forest with lovely villages and walks nearby. We would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark P, General Manager at The Bell Inn, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear RugBugs,

I am delighted that you had a relaxing stay at the Bell Inn and you found the food delicious and the staff helpful and friendly, sorry about the noisy road, but glad we could accommodate you in another room.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and hope to see you again in the future when we have another special offer.
Mark Pinn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Kent, England
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here to celebrate my birthday. We ate in the restaurant and my partner had the pigeon breasts as his starter and they were so tough he couldn't even cut them easily! I had the scallops but there were only three small scallops which were almost tasteless. For the main course I had duck cooked two ways one of which was 'confit' and to be honest, I have cooked confit of duck at home and mine was much better than what was served to me. My partner had the mackerel for his main and spent most of his time picking out the bones as it was poorly filleted.
The breakfast was much better with very tasty sausage and bacon but we were kept waiting quite a while for it as apparently the cook was having a bit of trouble as everybody came down at the same time. Hmm...
The accommodation is lovely and the room we had was fine and you certainly can't fault the location but all in all I wouldn't bother coming back here again. We are going to try the pub across the road for our meal tonight.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Duffer56
Dear Duffer56,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the Bell Inn.
I am disappointed that you found the food bland and poor quality, This is not our usual quality of food as we have lots of good comments about the food. I am delighted that you enjoyed your breakfast and the rooms.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is our 4th year staying at the bell and in the past it has been great. We are a group of 8 and have allways been looked after...untill this year, The menu has gone off in a fancy way not suitable for hungry golfers or walkers alike. The menu is far to fancy and the portions far to small. Bring back the traditional menu and the customers will follow.... Most of the staff agree with our points and the second night they seemed to make an effort with the food. The bar manager was very understanding and helpfull. Come on chaps leave all the fancy stuff for posh restaurants and get back to the good stuff.

Room Tip: Don't get the room next to the cattle grid........
1 Thank Steve M
Dear Steve M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent visit to the Bell Inn. We take all customer comments seriously and we will be changing our menus to be more traditional. We hope to see you again in the future.
kent
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We booked this Hotel along with our Friends through Travel Zoo and were very pleased with our overnight stay. The Staff were all very young but were very helpful and friendly. Our rooms were very comfortable. The evening meal was enjoyed by us all, also the service was excellent. All in all we found this to be a great place to stay and could find nothing to complain about. Would love to go back and see more of the New Forest.

5 Thank suesouth51
Mark P, General Manager at The Bell Inn, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear suesouth51,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent visit to the Bell Inn, I am delighted that you had a lovely overnight stay and felt comfortable and relaxed and you enjoyed your evening meal. We hope to see you again in the near future.
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2013

As some other reviewers, we stayed on the Travelzoo offering but for 4 nights instead of two. This entitled us to the previously mentioned £50 meal for two on two nights and a glass of champagne each on those nights. All staff we encountered (from our initial telephone contact to book the dates to the reception staff face to face, the bar staff and the restaurant staff) were universally friendly and very helpful. Yes, many of the staff were young but they appear to have been well-trained in customer service. We didn't think the meals at dinner were as good or as substantial as perhaps we were led to believe but as we have modest appetities they were more than adequate. The breakfast menu was the same every day but quantities served did vary. On the first morning we got two delicious mushrooms and two melt-in-the-mouth fried breads (along with other items ordered) but on day two it was only one mushroom and 1 smaller piece of fried bread - after that we specified two of each! And why no tomato juice on any of the four days? The cutlery and china were not as clean as I think they should have been. On one day my coffee cup had a ring stain on the inside, the sideplate showed washing-up water staining and the cutlery needed a polish. Oh, and if the manager is reading this could you please get all your knives sharpened!!
Now to my headline. The warm welcome speaks for itself but the cold nights? Well, our break was a little spoiled by the fact that the CH in the hotel is centrally controlled on a timer. The CH goes off at about 10.15 at night and doesn't come on again until 6.30 in the morning. And then it goes off again during the day, coming back on again in the evening. This is OK if you go to bed "early", sleep well and are out playing golf or touring the Forest during the day - but not if you are a "stay upper", an "early riser" or a "stay inner" during the day. One cold night I dressed and went to find the night manager at 4.30am to enquire about the heating arrangements. He told me about the control by timer and found an electric fire behind the reception desk to give me, but that didn't work. I then remembered that I thought I had seen an electric fan heater lurking in our room's wardrobe. Yes, there was and that worked well. But surely in this day and age a hotel could trust its customers to set their own room heating to their own requirements.
The pluses more than outweighed the negatives and we felt we had got good value for money. And, yes, we would stay there again.

Room Tip: We had a room that adjoined one of the lounges and overlooked the hotel car park at the back so it...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JayJay317
Dear JayJay317,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent visit to the Bell Inn, thank you for all the kind comment about the staff here, they do work hard and I will pass these on.
I'm sorry that you were cold during your the night, we've been experiencing a very warm autumn and trying to get the heating correct has been a challenge, it makes it easier to have the heating centrally controlled so there is no mistake that the rooms will be warm in the mornings, I will make it earlier now as the nights are getting colder.
I'm sorry that breakfast wasn't consistent through your stay this will be looked into and the crockery and cutlery will also be look at to why it even went out dirty to start with.
Thank you again and hope to see you again in the near future.
chipping campden
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This is the 4th time we have been to the Bell at Bramshaw and while it is still a lovely place to stay and play golf I have my doubts about the direction they are taking with the food. When we first stayed there around 3 years ago the food was suberb quality good wholesome fare with a good choice of cooked sweets.It now appears they are trying to serve up Haute Cuisine which is just not working it neither suits its surroundings and dare I suggest most of its customers. I am probably being very picky buts thats how I see it. The Bell is a very nice 3 star inn and they should strive to keep it that way not try and imitate other grander hotels.
]

3 Thank cat_rowdy
Dear cat_rowdy,
I am delighted that you still find the Bell Inn a great golf destination, I am looking at our menus as we have had some customer feedback that they want it changed. We will bring back some good hearty meals for you to enjoy again.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Bell Inn and hope to see you again.
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We have been visiting The Bell for over 15 years and, obviously, we have been satisfied with all it had to offer. Sadly, our last visit was so disappointing that we won't be returning again. We met up with friends and looked forward to a happy evening together. Rooms all perfectly fine, although being at the front of the hotel there was significant road noise. That didn't really matter.
We felt the lack of someone overseeing things during our visit and the very young staff seemed out of their depth. The really disappointing aspect of the visit was the dinner which we had all eagerly anticipated. The menu promised so much. We thought that the idea of nouvelle cuisine had died in the 1980s but no it is alive and well at The Bell. We estimated that we had four mouthfuls each in our main course! My steak (at £18.50) was so small I could hardly find it on the plate. We all had to urgently request extra vegetables once we saw how little food was on offer. Our group are not complainers and we will probably laugh about this experience in the years to come. Don't quite understand how a hotel aimed at golfers can serve such minute portions. Surely people have healthy appetites when they come in from the course?
Anyway, we are very sad to say goodbye to The Bell but we won't be back.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank bonvivant064
Mark P, General Manager at The Bell Inn, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear bonvivant064,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Bell Inn, I am disappointed that you have decided not to return. I will look at our portion sizes and the description of the dishes.
Mark Pinn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brook
The Crown Manor House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Burley
Rhinefield House Hotel
Rhinefield House Hotel
#8 of 11 in Brockenhurst

Been to The Bell Inn? Share your experiences!