“First AND LAST stay - will never come back!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Falls Casino and Golf Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Larchwood
Grand Falls Casino and Golf Resort
You added Grand Falls Casino and Golf Resort to your Saves list
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Larchwood
“First AND LAST stay - will never come back!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My family and I were looking for a place to have a small stay-cation that was not hours away. There are casinos closer to home, but we chose to take a little trip. Bad decision....

Upon arrival, the hotel is very nice and everything appears to be new and clean. We found the staff in general to be friendly and helpful. The valet were the friendliest of the staff from our experience.

The rooms are very nice and also seem to be clean, and are spacious! We had a corner queen suite with a balcony, and that didn't disappoint.

Now, for the gripes...

We travelled over 4 hours to come here, and had we not received coupons in the mail the rooms would've cost us nearly $350 for two night. For a casino, that is ridiculous! I was able to get them to comp me for the 'upgrade fee' which was helpful, however I still feel the rooms are GREATLY OVERPRICED when they know you'll be staying there and playing their machines.

If you are under 75, expect to get carded roughly 300 times during your stay. This casino really should offer wristbands, as every time you leave the gaming floor to go to your room, the gift shop, a restaurant or anything you WILL be carded. And the staff doing that job is rude and treats you like you're a criminal trying to pull one over. SUPER annoying.

We had been to this casino a few years ago, just stopped in for a couple hours and had an alright time. Upon arriving this time, they had the same exact machines they did last time. At other casinos I've been to, if you have a two year gap in your visits, there are new machines all over. Not the case here. Still all the same old machines from years ago...boring.

We are minimal betters, playing around .40 - $1.00 per spin on penny slot machines. And these machines by FAR are the tightest machines I have EVER played in my entire gambling career. My husband and I spent a good deal of money here, as gambling was to be the majority of our entertainment. Over the corse of our two day stay, I only built up a whopping $7 in free play. Ridiculous. I cashed out $90 one time...and that was the only time I cashed out a voucher....these have got to be the tightest, oldest and worst machines I've ever played. Gambling was HORRIBLE.

The drinks are ridiculously overpriced...it costs $6 for a TINY gin and tonic. And the staff at the bar is slow and acts inconvenienced. Also, maybe a state law, (but annoying either way) you can only carry away one drink at a time. Don't count on sending anyone to get a drink for the two of you...they won't let you carry two. Also there is a 20 minue limit between drink orders. Lame.

The buffet was very expensive, $16.99 for dinner on Sunday evening. My grandma, who came with us, didn't get a senior discount because they don't offer that on Sundays. So you technically are only a senior M-Sat....? Food wasn't great, and the lady that charged us and was our first impression at the buffet was RUDE and obviously disgruntled....bad experience.

Overall, if you are a gambler, this casino is not for you. If you aren't a gambler, this casino is not for you. If you are passing through, keep going until you hit something else. We didn't enjoy this 'resort', will NEVER be back, and definitely won't recommend it to anyone! Save your money....

• Stayed July 2013
22 Thank MN_momtobe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We wanted to go to this hotel/casino because there was an REO Speedwagon concert being held outside on their property. We took our camper but found out when we got there that all of the spots had been reserved. However, one of the security guys led us to a grassy area right next to the camper spaces and said we could park there for free since we had a generator and did not need electric. (ended up to our advantage---about 1/3 of the 'reserved spots' never were occupied the 2 days we were there)
It was a perfect spot. We literally just had to walk down a small hill to the concert and the hotel. We gambled in the casino after the concert and had great luck! The facility is beautiful and they are in the middle of constructing an 18 hole golf course. We ate at the cafe for dinner---good and inexpensive then ate at the buffet the next morning for breakfast. The nice thing about that is that you take your breakfast receipt to the Guest Services desk (where you can receive a players card) and show the receipt and they give you $5 slot play.
By the way, there are several entrances into the hotel without walking through the casino on the west and east sides of the building. We never used the front entrance.
We will definitely come back even though it is a 3 hour drive---it is well worth it. Customer service was wonderful and the facility has a very nice 'Vegas' feel to it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sdecker77145
Gretna, ne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family stayed here for a wedding reception. Room was very clean and modern....and expensive! We didnt use the casino or any of the restaurants. The wedding reception was very nice...food good...nice dance floor and layout. It would be nice if there was a separate entrance for just the hotel part. It felt strange to walk through the casino with 3 kids and luggage in tow. I thought for sure there would be a separate entance in the back for those of us not wanting to access the casino, but that was not the case. The pool is very nice. It was too cold to use the outside pool but it looked really nice. Indoor was also nice..again very modern and clean.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Momto3girls73
Canton, South Dakota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Been there many times since there opening and never had a problem. Last morning I was told I was too f-d up to be on the gaming floor. I called some friends but at 6am they were all sleeping so I was told I can stay in a room for $300 or get a taxi to Sioux Falls for $45. Problem was I only had $25 left and I forgot about the 20 or 30 I left on the table. So I asked if I could sleep in my car to which Micheal Ludwigs replied no I would be arrested, asked if I could walk to Sioux Falls to which he replied no if I even left the casino I would be arrested... Hmmmm so I asked him what other options I had he said it sounds like your going to arrested. Took my chances and got arrested in the parking lot. Never knew people could be arrested for not having enough money on them. I will now by boycotting this casino and plan to set up protests so people know what to expect. Go to Flandreu casino good payouts, friendly staff, and you can drink your hearts desire. I'm also hoping to take the casino to small claims court for entrapment. I'm a law-abiding citizen turned bad by Grand Falls Casino Resort

Room Tip: Ya don't stay in Nazi Germany
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
22 Thank Josh M

Travelers are raving about these Larchwood hotels

Spirit Lake, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Planned a trip to the casino /hotel with my wife. We enjoy gaming and planned to use the pool and catch some sun. The room was nice. Not sure I understand the clear glass between bathroom and main room but what ever. I guess that that's modern architecture to be able to see in/ out of the bathroom. Internet charge $10? Serious? Had a nice sandwich at the Big Drop cafe. Ate there cuz the evening buffet was $17 which we felt was too pricey. Enjoyed the gaming. Lost a little but that's why they call it gambling.... Spent a couple hours at the pool. Very nice and comfortable. Went to check out the next AM and was billed $140 for a room I was quoted $85 for over the phone. The checkout attendant told me that the $140 was the lowest Friday night rate. That sure could be true but I was quoted a friday rate of $85 and a saturday rate of $140. We actually were going to stay 2 nights but changed to 1 night when i got that quote. We would not have stayed had I known that we were being charged the $140. So I walked out of there feeling that I had been seriously misled by the gal that quoted me the lower price. Needless to say there's plenty of other places to gamble..

Room Tip: Be careful about over the phone room quotes. I was misled..
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Rick R
Davenport, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Wow oh wow, we stayed here to break up our drive on vacation, and boy was it a great idea. The rooms here were AMAZING-very clean and very modern. The shower in the bathroom was to die for, and they offered Aveda products in the rooms. The King Suite had its own balcony with a view of a waterfall and lake. The bed was wonderful to sleep in. The rooms are spacious, and have granite throughout. I felt like a princess there. The pools (both indoor and out) were beautiful, and the hot tub was actually good and hot. The outside pool area had cabanas and the inside pool area offered very comfy chairs as well. In addition, the indoor pool and hot tub both stayed open until midnight, which was nice for the teens we were traveling with. The cafe in the hotel offered reasonable food, even late at night, and it was very good. The casino was a lot of fun, and the staff here were all very nice. They are in the process of putting in a golf course, but I never once heard any noise from construction. This hotel has various shops and I wish I had had the opportunity to visit the spa, as it looked amazing.

Room Tip: We had a King Suite, and there is not one thing I could complain about with it. AMAZING!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Shelleystarr2753
GFCR, Joel Twedt Front Office Manager at Grand Falls Casino and Golf Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit wtih us! It is our goal to provide the type of guest service expectations that you experienced and we are happy to hear that we have exceeded your expectations. We designed our rooms with a modern feel in hopes that they would have that "WOW" factor when guests stay with us as well as our balcony rooms with the spectacular views overlooking the outdoor pool and waterfall area. I wish you would have had the time to enjoy The Spa at Grand Falls while you were here as it is an Aveda Concept Salon and Spa as well. If you do get a chance to come back this summer we are also offering poolside pedicures again this year and for the first time cabana massages. If you don't make it back this year be sure and visit us next summer as we hope to have our 18-hole Rees Jones designed golf course open late summer, early fall of 2014. Please feel free to contact me directly for any additional feedback and thank you again for taking the time to provide us with this feedback.
Spokane, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

20 miles from Sioux Falls SD. No shuttle from there, 42 dollar cab ride, poor customer service at rewards booth. No valet after midnight, and super tight slots. Nice buffet, half casino was smoking/ half non. Mixed all together.

Room Tip: tight slots, nice rooms, no shuttle ,no valet. poor service.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mimicasino
Also consider these accommodations in or near Larchwood
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Luverne
Super 8 Sioux Falls
Super 8 Sioux Falls
#17 of 52 in Sioux Falls
4.0 of 5 stars 342 reviews

Been to Grand Falls Casino and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!