“Great for fried things”

The Cellar
Ranked #25 of 35 Restaurants in Keokuk
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stopped in here for lunch on my way home via the back roads. Being by myself, I sat at the bar which was populated by regulars. I ordered a reuben sandwich and was trying to decide on a side when the fried mushrooms were recommended. I wound up getting both onion rings and fried mushrooms and they were excellent. They definitely weren't from the food service. The reuben was not great, but edible. They really need to get better corned beef and slice it thinner. I think if I come back here, I will stick with either getting a burger or a sandwich with a fried filet (like the Buffalo chicken sandwich). It was a little pricier than I expected, but not bad considering the work that went into it.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Little crowded and was sat by the entrance as the tables were taken up with other parties and not spread out to be able to see the river view. Food was good but waitresses were slow and not top. Overall was good.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Had the shrimp dinner and the shrimp (6) were very good. The salad bar was a little sad, but the food and service were great.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

The atmosphere was dark but had a good view of the river. The pork Tendrloin sandwich was average as this is supposed to be a popular sandwich in this region. My ex wife that comes from this area I will admit makes that sandwich better. The bathrooms were horrible but as a chef I will say this I was impressed with the Reuban Chowder....

Reviewed June 13, 2012

You can see a bit of the river and an old paddleboat at the bottom of the hill. At one time, I hear, the restaurant was a bit nicer with tablecloths and dinnerware. Now it's plastics and baskets. Staff was friendly and helpful, but couldn't make up for the dirt and dead flies on the window sill. The food was typical Iowa cuisine including local favorites: Porkloin Sandwiches and Maid-Rites (sp?), which are not for those watching chlorestorol levels. However, they do provide a small salad bar for the guiltless eater. There is potential in this local hangout -- minus the dirt and deep-fry.

Been to The Cellar? Share your experiences!