“Friendly service but...”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Wooden Nickel
Cuisines: Italian, American
Description: It is located in the basement of the Hotel Iowa. We ate here on 11/26/2010
Louisville, Colorado
“Friendly service but...”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

All of the food seemed pre-made rather than fresh. Iceberg lettuce drowning in storebought dressing -- need I say more?

Visited October 2012

Stockport, IA
“Excellent food, top notch service!”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We've been looking for a place to dine that offered excellent food where we felt comfortable taking our sons (age 13 and 10). The menu at the Wooden Nickel offered a nice variety of entrees for our family:one Wooden Nickel burger, one shrimp scampi, one stuffed ravioli with garlic cream sauce, and one blackened chicken fettuccini. We started out with a sampler of appetizers, which were delicious and the perfect portion so that we were still hungry for our entrees. The breadsticks were homemade, tender and warm when they reached our table along with our family style Italian salads. Everyone was impressed with their entrees and there was enough to sample with each other. All in all, we really enjoyed the evening. Yes, the interior of the building is probably not where you want to bring someone who is especially particular about the decorating, but if they're interested in a delicious meal with charming service; this is the place to be!

• Visited June 2012
Illinois
“Location leaves a lot to be desired”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

This restaurant is located in the basement of a historic local hotel, which gives it some character to recommend it, but unfortunately, it smells like a wet basement. We entered through the bar, and the dank and damp smell made me want to leave. The decor definitely needs some work. The night we were there, we were the only customers, which was a little strange, as well. The food was average. I had the chicken cavatelli, but they seemed to be out of cavatelli, as I got pasta shells instead. The portions of pasta are very large. The sauce seemed to be homemade, but wasn't the best. The salad was a little brown, as well. My daughter's four cheese ravioli was good, but I don't think it was homemade. It was better than fast food, but the ambience would probably keep me from going back.

• Visited May 2012
Fort Madison, Iowa
“Great shots and mushrooms.”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

We were doing what we call "restaurant hopping". This is when we go from place to place share an entree or an appetizer to see if we like the food enough to return for dinner. I am happy to say we like the Wooden Nickel. The first thing we ordered was an appetizer of stuffed mushrooms. They were homemade Baby Bells stuffed, baked and topped with a silky white sauce "delicious" is the best description I can think of. Then we were introduced to the book of shots. They have a book of blended shots with endless original names. You can choose from two to four blended liquors in one shot. We also tried pasta in a basic tomato sauce, it was the best tomato sauce I have had in Keokuk so far.

• Visited December 2011
Chicago, Illinois
“Delish dishes and a casual atmosphere”
Reviewed November 29, 2011

We tried this restaraunt on a recommendation from our Innkeepers. I was told it was as close to fine dining as it gets in the area. The restaraunt is in the basement of a building. It has a bar, decently clean bathrooms, and a very laid back atmosphere. There are linen table cloths on the tables, and linen napkins, but the room itself is not fancy. It kind of reminded me of being in the basement of a church.

The service was excellent! Our waitress was perfectly attentive--not overly or underly so. Our drinks were refilled in perfect time, and the food was served piping hot.

A salad was served before the meal with italian dressing. It had iceburg lettuce, black olives, lots of white or sweet onions (not my fav), and tomato. After removing the onions it was very good: veggies were crisp and fresh.

I had the chicken kreps, which was incredible. It was a huge chicken breast stuffed with a white cheese and crab, breaded, with a crab topping. The chicken was super juicy, and the breading was perfectly crisp. The crab was fresh with no fishy taste. As a side I had the fettucini with garlic cream sauce. It was tasty but a bit much when paired with the chicken. If you try the dish, get the potato instead. Someone else in the party ordered the 14oz ribeye and said it was good. Not the most flavorful but not the worst he has had by far. It did cover the more than half the plate and was cooked to the perfect medium. Another person ordered the ribs and the meet was perfectly cooked--falling off the bones. We had bananas foster for dessert. While it was not New Orleans quality (quite liquidy and the bananas not cooked til carmelized) it had a very good flavor.

The amount of food you get for the price is incredible--each meal could feed 2 easily. The quality of the food was on the upper end, the service was fantastic, and the ambiance is laid back, very casual. I would recommend trying them out. I would go back for the delicious chicken kreps--awsome! Wooden Nickel: don't change a thing with the chicken!

• Visited November 2011