“Look elsewhere”
Review of Des Moines North

Des Moines North
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Johnston
Reviewed March 25, 2007

No hot water - I mean COLD showers. I had a business seminar at 7am, go to take a shower, shave, no hot water. I couldn't shave (straight razor man), but managed to get through the freezing shower. I called the front desk, they said they would have someone look at it. - that must be a foreign language for go %^&# yourself. I called back later that day- 2 day stay. They had no record of my call of any issues. Essentially it never happened, according to them !
In closing, there are about 10 nicer, cheaper hotels South of this one, look elsewhere !
Our A/C didn't work either, the room was like a cold swamp- great - and for only $65 a night !

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank stimpyl

Reviewed November 21, 2006

Very bad experimence. We got a non-smoking room and a smoking room was across the hall. The rugs were dirty. The place is noisy. Our towel rake fell from the wall. There are plenty of other hotels at this exit - any of them would have to be a better choice.

Also, forget about the Diner. It was poor as well.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank pitt1980
Reviewed August 14, 2006

We thought this hotel was clean, quiet and comfortable. The breakfast was very good with an assortment of food. The location was good...near restaurants and shopping. I would stay here again.

2  Thank chiefearle
Reviewed April 30, 2006

The Best Western is definitely old and in desperate need of some updates. We arrived at 4:20 Saturday night and tried to check in but our rooms were still not ready, not to mention the computers were down so check in took over 20 minutes with a line of 4 guests behind me. Was not impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel. Bathrooms had hair on the floor and in the tub, hallways were dirty, stained carpet, etc. I booked the Best Western over Priceline for $55.00 including tax. If it not been for the great price, I would've been very upset.

• Stayed: April 2006
1  Thank jettafan
Reviewed January 10, 2006

One of the worst Best Westerns we have ever stayed at. It is a good local just off Hwy 80/35. Our room was "in the back" and as we drove around, our dread increased. This isn't a horrible neighborhood, but it does have a higher crime rate. No security, little lighting. Our room was moderately clean but old. Everything about this hotel seems "worn down." The room was really big though. We had to walk through many doorways (through unheated hallways) to get to the pool - which was HUGE and warm. They had an area for playing and a separate one for lap swim. Dial up internet only. The bestwestern website can get you a $60/night rate which is moderately good for the area. No breakfast but did get a discount coupon for the diner that is attached. Food was good but diner food. There are quite a few restaurants in the surrounding area. We were supposed to stay 3 nights, cancelled remaining 2 nights upon check-in. There really are no hotels in a 2-3 mile radius of this area. Really, I would try to stay in another Des Moines area. The hotels in this area all are generally old and have problems, but the Best Western seems to have more than the others.

• Stayed: March 2005
3  Thank krhm2323
Reviewed July 28, 2005

This is an old hotel that apparently was renovated in 2004. A former Ramada Inn. The hotel could use more improvements both inside and on the grounds. The staff was friendly and the room was clean.

1  Thank idawmn
Reviewed July 24, 2005

On July 8,2005 my daughter and I stayed for one night at the Best Western DSM North in Johnston IA. We were on a mission of mercy as she relocated from Denver Colorado to Long Island New York. After the relocation we drove back to Denver to pick up her dog that a friend kept for her until she was settled. We purchased a book by Mobil of dog friendly hotels. The room we were given had a terrible odor of mold and mildew in it. My daughter was so tired she said lets just stay. When we unmade the beds there were black specks on the sheets. We both began coughing alot that night even with the a/c on. In the morning I looked up at the ceiling and to my disgust, there was mold and mildew growing on it through the paint. It was not clean at all. When we left, my daughter noticed they were painting the brick on the outside of the building. We both agreed that they should be repainting, changing carpet and getting rid of the mold on the inside of the hotel first. Stay away from this hotel even if you are exhausted!!!

2  Thank schatzie345