“Best hotel in this area, hands down”

Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center - Des Moines
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Johnston
Reviewed February 24, 2011

I would stay at the Stoney Creek Inn in Des Moines over and over again. All the rooms are newly remodled. The beds are out of this world! Service is very friendly and accomodating. The pool area is outstanding, you feel as if you are at a resort!
I have recommended this Des Moines location to collegues, family and friends and they all agree that this is one, if not the nicest places they have ever stayed!
And if you have the chance, get a bunk bed room! Talk about space! Unbelievable!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center - Des Moines

Reviewed February 23, 2011

It had been a very long time since my wife and I had a weekend to ourselves, 1993 to be exact. Between our children and our jobs, we just couldn't get away. Finally, an oppoturnity arose and we jumped at the chance. We were looking for a romantic time, and checked into several establishments. Stoney Creek Inn made the most sense from a value perspective. We had made an outstanding choice. From the staff to the room itself, we were in heaven. Peace and quiet followed up with awesome service; couldn't have asked for a better stay.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed February 21, 2011

This a wonderful quiet place to go and relax. Nice lounge, pool and rooms.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 13, 2011

We chose this hotel due to it's unique decor and theme. Staff were very helpful overall. Disappointment came first at the pool area. No one available to ensure that it was kept clean (piles of wet towels and food /beverage refuse) and the chlorine smell was so incredibly strong that I had to leave after 1/2 hour due to a headache. The Vending Machine refused to allow purchase of most beverages, including water and soda. It kept saying it was out of stock or unavailable. We ended up with a grape flavored gatorade type beverage and orange juice. Breakfast was a big disappointment. "Hot Breakfast" ended up being biscuits and gravy only, although you could heat up cold waffles and french toast. The breakfast selections were really quite average but doesn't live up to "hot breakfast".

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
ConcernFixer, Director of Corporate Support Services at Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center - Des Moines, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at our Des Moines property. On behalf of our entire team I sincerely apologize for the disappointments you expressed and I would like you to know that we are taking immediate action to better monitor the pool area for both the clutter you described and the chlorine you encountered. We have also contacted our vending machine provider to make sure they do a better job of keeping it filled and operating properly. Regarding the breakfast, depending on the day of the week you stayed, we recently implemented a new program that rotates our hot items on a daily basis, but still includes biscuits and gravy as one choice and which is typically a very popular menu item. I am very happy to see that you would still recommend us and I hope we get to see you again soon. Thanks so much for making us aware and helping us better serve future guests.

Reviewed January 4, 2011

We stayed with a group of young hockey players. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The kids really enjoyed the pool, especially being able to swim outside in December. We were allowed to use the breakfast area for a pizza party, and it was perfect. It was very kind of them to allow us to do this, other hotels have either wanted to charge us or just said no.
The rooms were a good size. We had a rollaway cot added, and it was actually very comfortable.
The only complaint was that most of the games in the small 'arcade' were broken, but at least it saved me from giving more money to my son.
There is lots of parking, restaurants and a theatre close by. We had early morning games, and the rink within 5 mins.
Extra thanks to the girl who runs the breakfast. We had a very early game, so she had the food out so the kids could grab something before they went to the rink. A really nice touch.
We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed October 28, 2010

Every time I stay in the Des Moines area, which I have done frequently both for business and to visit friends in the area, I look forward to staying at the Stoney Creek. During this last trip I had my husband and our 4 yr old grand-daughter with me. We stayed at the Stoney for three nights and loved it. The hotel has a lovely sense of "home" and even smells comforting. There's always a stuffed animal, a bison or a moose etc, on the bed when you come into your room, and Ava was delighted with the wolf waiting for us - the hotel will add $20 to your bill if you keep the animal - she never put it down!! The themed pool and whirlpool is fantastic, the rooms come with fridge and microwave and in-room coffee, the complimentary hot breakfast is great - just a wonderful break from the ttypical hotel experience!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2010

My wife and I stayed here to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We chose a premiere mini suite. Very nice room; bar, gas fireplace, sectional couch, 2 person whirlpool, walk in glass block shower. Only had 2 issues. The comforter on the bed had a stain, shall we say white in color? Very nasty! Upon checkout, the desk clerk listened to our concerns and made a price adjustment on our bill. We also inquired as to why there are no extra pillows or blankets in the empty chest of drawers? We were told that the hide a bed offered those if needed. We had no intentions of unfolding a hide a bed so that my wife might have an extra blanket to replace the soiled comforter. Word to the wise; hotels DO NOT wash their comforters every day or even every week. Overall, we were happy with our stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
stmaknight, Regional Director of Operations at Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center - Des Moines, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2010

Thank you for your feedback and I apologize for the inconveniences you encountered. I have shared your comments with the Staff and Management of the hotel so that we can address and correct the issues.
We at Stoney Creek believe in "People First" and we strive to create a positive memorable expereience. Feedback from concerned guests like you will help us improve our service and our guests' experience.
Once again, thank you and my apologies.
Mike Trudeau
Regional Director of Operations
Stoney Creek Hospitality Corp.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Johnston
Hilton Garden Inn Des Moines/Urbandale
TownePlace Suites Des Moines Urbandale
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Urbandale/Des Moines
Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Johnston
Wildwood Lodge
Wildwood Lodge
#3 of 8 in Clive

Been to Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center - Des Moines? Share your experiences!