“One of my favorite hotels”

Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center - Des Moines
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Johnston
Portland, Maine
“One of my favorite hotels”
Reviewed October 28, 2010

Every time I stay in the Des Moines area, which I have done frequently both for business and to visit friends in the area, I look forward to staying at the Stoney Creek. During this last trip I had my husband and our 4 yr old grand-daughter with me. We stayed at the Stoney for three nights and loved it. The hotel has a lovely sense of "home" and even smells comforting. There's always a stuffed animal, a bison or a moose etc, on the bed when you come into your room, and Ava was delighted with the wolf waiting for us - the hotel will add $20 to your bill if you keep the animal - she never put it down!! The themed pool and whirlpool is fantastic, the rooms come with fridge and microwave and in-room coffee, the complimentary hot breakfast is great - just a wonderful break from the ttypical hotel experience!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Hartford
Reviewed August 3, 2010

My wife and I stayed here to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We chose a premiere mini suite. Very nice room; bar, gas fireplace, sectional couch, 2 person whirlpool, walk in glass block shower. Only had 2 issues. The comforter on the bed had a stain, shall we say white in color? Very nasty! Upon checkout, the desk clerk listened to our concerns and made a price adjustment on our bill. We also inquired as to why there are no extra pillows or blankets in the empty chest of drawers? We were told that the hide a bed offered those if needed. We had no intentions of unfolding a hide a bed so that my wife might have an extra blanket to replace the soiled comforter. Word to the wise; hotels DO NOT wash their comforters every day or even every week. Overall, we were happy with our stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
stmaknight, Regional Director of Operations at Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center - Des Moines, responded to this review, August 5, 2010
Thank you for your feedback and I apologize for the inconveniences you encountered. I have shared your comments with the Staff and Management of the hotel so that we can address and correct the issues.
We at Stoney Creek believe in "People First" and we strive to create a positive memorable expereience. Feedback from concerned guests like you will help us improve our service and our guests' experience.
Once again, thank you and my apologies.
Regional Director of Operations
Stoney Creek Hospitality Corp.
Iowa
Reviewed July 26, 2010

We have stayed here several times and have always been satisfied with our stay. We always request the lodge themed suite. It has a king size bed, jacuzzi, couch, large flat screen tv, door to patio, fridge, micro, etc. We stay there just to have a weekend away once in a while. We have never stayed in the main building, the suites are located in a separate building on the property (which has always been extremely quiet). Beds are comfortable, pillows aren't so great. Continental breakfast is average. Just common items, not much for hot food.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
albia
Reviewed February 15, 2010

we stayed in des moines recently for our honeymoon.we decided to splurge and spend 1 night at a suite at stoney creek,and 1 night in a suite at the marriott.hands down,stoney creek blew the marriott out of the water!price,amenities,staff,rooms,everything was 5 stars all the way.we plan on bringing our kids back with us this summer for another awesome stay at stoney creek inn. max and ashley

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Mason City
Reviewed November 6, 2009

My husband and I went to Stoney Creek Inn for my sister-in-law wedding. I call and was very please with the front desk person. I told her we were traveling with an infant and would need a crib and she gaves us a free up grade so we would have fridge for bottle.
Unforutanley, the above is the last positive for this hotel. I have traveled alot over the years and was extremely dissappointed with this hotel. One the contintenal breakfast was a joke unlike most hotel that have warm food waiting this hotel choose to only keep on item warm ( saugage over biscuts) and the rest of the food was placed in a fridge. Such as the french toast and eggs( I don't know about you but I have personal perfer my food fresh and warm.) Also my husband and I were of put by one of the employee, I went in the first day to make a plate of saugage and was stopped by the women behind the window and had my plate take away was served like a small child. Also the same women came out to insult my husband by telling him the french toast he was warm was put into long.

Now on to the bar. My husband and myself are not drinker but we will enjoy the occasional drink especially if we are not driving. So when I went down to the bar I was told they had a limited choice of selection because the bartender was only choice to service what she felt was needed, now last time I check if i am paying for drinking and you have a full service bar I should be able to get want I would like to drink.

Three, the sorry looking place they call a fitness place . It had two treadmills a couple of bike and a weight machine that didn't work.

Now the rooms, they didn't even have extend cable( have never been in a hotel that is charging over $90 that didn't.) The water in the bathroom took for ever to warm up i think they need to invest in more water heaters. When they constucted the sink they made the spout to short everytime we turn it on it made a mess and water was all over the counter.

My advice is for the quality just stay at a Holiday Inn or Best Western because that is what Stoney Creek Inn is a Holiday Inn with a theme. But at least with a Holiday Inn you will get more quality for your money.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
stmaknight, Operations Support Manager at Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center - Des Moines, responded to this review, November 8, 2009
First of all thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it as it will help us improve and correct the issues you experienced. Please accept our apologies for your less then favorable experience, I have shared your comments with the staff and management of the hotel so these areas can be addressed swiftly, We hope you give us another opportunity that we believe in People First and strive to make every stay a positive experience.
Operations Support Manager
Stoney Creek Hospitality Corp.
Spokane
Reviewed May 17, 2009

Stoney Creek Inn is such a neat "outdoorsy" hotel. It was clean, staff was friendly, & breakfast was great. The only complaints we had was that the pool & the bar area is so loud. Starting at 7am kids are screaming in the pool, (don't plan on sleeping in). We knew people on all 3 floors & they had the same complaint. Also, the bar gives out free drinks (which is a plus) but it makes the first floor super loud with drunks.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
stmaknight, Operations Support Manager at Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center - Des Moines, responded to this review, May 28, 2009
Thank you so much for your feedback, it will help us to manage similiar situations better in the future and please accept our sincere apologies if it created an unpleasent experience. Our Mission at Stoney Creek Inns is to provide all our guests with a memorable and enjoyable experince. Your input is very helpful in achieving our goals.
Operations Support Manager
Stoney Creek Hospitality
Midwest
Reviewed April 12, 2009

We stayed at this hotel on a Friday night and experienced some things that left a sour note regarding this hotel. There was a party of younger adults (perhaps fifteen, or so) around the pool area. They were quite rowdy and frightened many of the younger swimmers. One in particular was doing running sommersault flips into the water. A complaint to the front desk (attended by a very young gal) went ignored. In addition, there was lots of noise throughout the hotel coming from various parties that continued into the night. I'm not sure what the hotel staff was doing as there seemed to be a very obvious lack of control on their part.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johnston
Hilton Garden Inn Des Moines/Urbandale
TownePlace Suites Des Moines Urbandale
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Urbandale/Des Moines
Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines
Wildwood Lodge
Wildwood Lodge
#3 of 8 in Clive
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Johnston

Been to Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center - Des Moines? Share your experiences!