“Wonderful place to stay”

Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center - Des Moines
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Johnston
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great visit. Staff was helpful. Nice clean rooms, comfortable bed. Pool was warm, even with part being outside in below freezing temperatures. Excellent hot breakfast was well prepared and kept well stocked. Our room faced the back of the property and it really felt we were in the woods even though we were in the middle of town. Awesome hotel. We plan to stay again soon. Good restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Jack K, Vice President of Corporate Support Services at Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center - Des Moines, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Well Granddaughters get only one 16th birthday so we are extremely pleased to hear that your family experience with us was an exceptional one! Thank you for sharing her special time with us and also for sharing your remarks on Trip Advisor. It was 'wonderful' to host you.

There are newer reviews for Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center - Des Moines

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Celebrated our Granddaughter's 16th birthday here. We rented a suite and 2 other hotel rooms. Great rooms. Back woods feel, great pillows and beds. Indoor heated pool that also goes outdoor. Staff treated us very well and worked with our Daughter and husband to accomdate their daughter's party. Our rooms had a microwave and refrigerator. Each room has a back woods cute stuff animal in which you can purchase. They have a great continual breakfast. They also have a little shopping area. Great stay.

Room Tip: Great view from any of our rooms which were opposite pool side. Might be a bit noisey if you have ro...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lori D
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Great staff, especially Gloria. Nice clean rooms. Excellent breakfasts prepared by Gloria.
The staff even let us use a broom to sweep off the car after a blizzard.
The location is great for quick and easy access from the interstate with many great places to eat within a short drive.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Joanne W
Reviewed March 3, 2013

All I have to say about Stoney Creek inn is AMAZING...they were such great people and the suite we stayed in was called the lodge...it was an excellent room...We had such a great time staying there...Everything about that place was great...I have stayed in some nice hotels from the mariott to the hilton and I would have to say Stoney Creek is by far the most amazing one I have ever stayed in...for now on my husband and I will always stay at stoney creek where we know we will have a great room and excellent service...it is such a great hotel to be able to take your family and even ur family pet...great weekend getaway...highly recommended!

Room Tip: Suites are very cozy and comfortable...had a season porch and an awesome fireplace.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My review is titled Midwest Best, and I would like to share why my family thinks the Stoney Creek Inn, Johnston Iowa is the best in the midwest. We have had the pleasure of staying at this eclectic family style hotel many times. We reside in Ohio and travel frequently to Iowa for family visits, business trips and for emergency visits. And for the past 4 years every time we have ventured to Iowa we always stay at the Stoney Creek Inn, the accomodations are incredible, for a short visit you can stay in the main hotel and for a longer visit you can stay in the cottages which are adjacent to the main hotel. The staff at Stoney Creek has always been more then polite, and will offer assistance whenever and for whatever you might request, no request goes unanswered. I personally would highly reccomend the cottages for your next visit to Iowa's Stoney Creek Inn, They are huge and very family friendly, the morning breakfast in the cottages will rival any that we have had at more expensive hotels. Each cottage is a little different and unique, you will be pleased. The smimming pool at the inn is a family favorite, with it's very cool indoor outdoor swimming access, the area is always clean,neat and tidy. There are also quiet reading rooms, a very well equipped game room, a gift shop, I could go on and on, but trust this time tested traveling family, we would never stay anywhere else on our trips to the tall corn state of Iowa. My advice is to give it a try and see if you expereince the same joy that we do each time we stay at the Stoney Creek Inn, Johnston Iowa.

The Williams Family Cincinnati Ohio

Room Tip: Check out the cottages, you will love them.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend retreat with our church. We met in one of the meeting rooms and stayed the night as well. The lobby, hallways, rooms, everything was super clean and very nice. All the decorations and woodwork throughout the hotel make it very cozy and unique. It was the weekend of the State Wrestling tournament, but we didn't hear any extra noise. The breakfast was nice with many different options (Waffles, French Toast, Fresh made biscuits and gravy, etc), however it was very cramped trying to get to all the food. Lots of wrestlers in the room all trying to get food at the same time was a bit much for the smaller area.
I enjoyed our stay and would come back again if the opportunity presented itself.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife and I have stayed here many times before. We always stay in the Cottages Building. We like the quietness and the wonderful rooms. This was a busy weekend in Des Moines for many folks. I tried to book a suite, nothing avaialbe. I called early Friday morning before our stay on Saturday night and told guest services I would be happy to upgrade to a suite if one would become available. She checked and found that there must have been a cancellation, and provided us suite! We walked into our room, one that we have never stayed in, and found it to be unique. We were turned off by the fact that it had an electric fireplace. I called the front desk and explained my disappointment and told him with the rate i was paying, I expected a gas fireplace as we have had in the past.

We were again upgraded to a different room, which did indeed have a gas fireplace. A young lady even rushed our new room cards over to us. The breakfast was super! Made to order pretty much whatever you want. This is why we stay in the Cottages. The personal touch and not the usual packed too small breakfast nook you find in other hotels.

One thing I might add; the rates seem inconsistent here. The rate I was charged does not appear on any room descriptions. I did make my concern known with guest services.

We do love this place and made for a wonderful Valentine getaway.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johnston
Hilton Garden Inn Des Moines/Urbandale
TownePlace Suites Des Moines Urbandale
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Urbandale/Des Moines
Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Johnston
Wildwood Lodge
Wildwood Lodge
#3 of 8 in Clive

Been to Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center - Des Moines? Share your experiences!