Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center - Des Moines
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Johnston
Reviewed September 22, 2011

My sisters and I had a sisters weekend at the Stoney Creek. The suite we had was FABULOUS! The front desk staff was wonderful, and the maids were great also! The whole staff is just great!
We had a small problem with my sisters vehicle, and one of the catering staff stayed late and made sure everything was taken care of. Great customer service! This is the only hotel my family wants to stay at when they come to Des Moines!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center - Des Moines

Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband and I have stayed in this hotel twice. The first time we stayed with a group of friends and the second we stayed for our anniversary. This hotel is wonderful for both. There are tables in multiple lobbies available to all of the guests to gather and there are many whirlpool suites that are truly romantic and at a reasonable price.

The hotel has a lodge theme that comes across very tastefully (sometimes themes come across tacky). The pool is a good size and has an area inside and outside. So, you can swim back and forth and either enjoy the sky or enjoy the indoors. The room we stayed in with friends was in The Cottages and had a large bed, couch, kitchen, fireplace, etc. The suite we stayed in recently had a small kitchen area and was meant for shorter stays.

Overall, this is a great place for extended stays, short stays, large groups, or couples. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This was a great hotel experience. We had 5 in our group- Grandma, Grandpa, Mom and 2 kids. We chose the family suite which has a king bed, bunk beds and a sofa sleeper. There was plenty of room for all 5 of us, and the beds were comfortable and cozy. I love this hotel, and anytime I go back to Des Moines, or just passing through, I would stay here. The breakfast was also good and the staff was very friendly and very helpful. We really enjoyed the pool areas and fitness area as well.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Loved the "lodge" theme which was well done but not overwhelming. Rooms were large, comfortable and, most importantly, quiet. The staff at the front desk were friendly and efficient; obviously customer service is a top priority at this hotel. Highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: I'd guess there isn't a bad room in the place!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We stayed three nights for a conference. We had a regular room. The downsides: the room was very humid. I've stayed in other hotels with this same problem, and I don't know how to fix the a/c to cure it. The breakfast area was very small, so some people took their trays to the (closed) bar area across the corridor. The pluses: the pool is fun with the indoor/outdoor aspect. There was plenty of space on the pool deck. The room was cleaned well each day. And most importantly, we got a great group rate on the room.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Very friendly staff, nice sized rooms, conveniently located right off the freeway. Accommodated our late check in and the continental breakfast was good. Our room was a little musty smelling but the room was clean. I only rated sleep quality lower because it was a musty in the room. Not sure if other rooms were like this or not. We stayed one night on our way through to CO.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2011

My wife and I decided to stay at the Stoney Creek Inn mainly because of the price and because it wasn't your standard cookie cutter looking hotel. The lobby and the rooms have a cool log cabin look that is really unique.

We stayed in a balcony room on the second floor. We had our own balcony overlooking the outdoor/indoor pool. The room didn't cost any more than a standard room and it was in a corner so it was nice and quiet all night long.

The pool area is nice. Lots of loud kids but that is to be expected for this family-type hotel. The hot tub was excellent and the ability to swim from the indoor section of the pool to the outdoor section was neat.

Problems started occurring however at breakfast the next morning. The two staff who were working the breakfast room were completely overwhelmed. I should say, one of the two employees was completely overwhelmed. The other was too busy texting to notice what was going on. The milk and coffee sat empty for about 15 minutes before they refilled them. Then a decoration on the wall literally fell down and hit my wife in the back of the head. People around her asked if she was alright, but the staff never said anything to her. They just looked confused when I brought them a wooden shelf with a bunch of trinkets on it and said, "this just hit my wife in the head."

Overall the stay was average, but the level of service I experienced at the end left a bad taste in my mouth.

Room Tip: If you are staying here, be sure to go to www.visitdesmoines.com. There you can print off a coupon f...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
ConcernFixer, Director of Corporate Support Services at Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center - Des Moines, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2011

Dear Smdelaney,
Thank you for the kind words regarding your accommodations and our recreational area. Under any circumstances the breakfast area service you shared with us is totally unacceptable on many levels. Please, on behalf of our entire staff, accept our sincere apologies. Be assured that we will pull our staff together, review your experience and make whatever changes are necessary to insure that future guests receive the quality people-first attention all of our guests should expect and certainly deserve. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and thereby allowing us to takes steps to better serve our guests in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Johnston
Hilton Garden Inn Des Moines/Urbandale
TownePlace Suites Des Moines Urbandale
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Urbandale/Des Moines
Ramada Tropics Resort / Conference Center Des Moines
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Johnston
Wildwood Lodge
Wildwood Lodge
#3 of 8 in Clive

Been to Stoney Creek Hotel and Conference Center - Des Moines? Share your experiences!